6 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 4:21 PM by wistfullull

strange strobe-like flashing

wistfullull Level 1

I just made this page with rollover buttons which swap out the images, but whenever the cursor gets near what would be the edge of the button, it flashes like a strobe... not so pretty! Is there something I should have done to make it a smoother rollover effect?

Here is a link to the temp page:

http://dreamtrampoline.com/canalhouse/index-spring.html

• 1. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey!

Can you provide some more context about what exactly each button contains?

Does it contain text (i.e. a single character)?

I find when I convert a single character to a button, I like to put a rectangle with the height and width of the letter behind it, and set the transparency to zero.  It creates a smoother transition on mouse over, where sometimes mousing over a character can exhibit sensitivity and thus flickering with a narrower hit area.

If it is a character, try the transparent rectangle trick I just described and see if that shows a noticeable improvement.

Let me know if that helps, otherwise, let's discuss further to figure it out.

Thanks!

Tara

• 2. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
            wistfullull Level 1

It does not contain any text. Its just swapping one image for another. Is there a way to fix it in that case?

• 3. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
              Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey!

Is it possible for you to send me your fxp (you can send it to me privately)?

I'd like to take a look to see what's going on.

Let me know.

Thanks!

Tara

• 4. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
                wistfullull Level 1

Not sure if this will get to you or not, but here's the file. Any help would be great! thanks!

Teresa

Call if you need me: 215-870-3849

• 5. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
                  Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Teresa,

So when your mouse is over the very boundary over the button's edge, it's switching between it's Up and Down state very rapidly, creating that strobe flashing effect.

To eliminate this hard transition, you can add a fade in/fade out transition.

In fact, Catalyst already does this for you, it just sets the duration to zero.

Select one of your images, the wine bottle for example.

Double click it to edit in place.

In the timelines panel, in the left hand side list, you'll see all the possible transitions listed (up->over, over->down, etc).

Look for (over->up): this is the transition which occurs when your image goes from the mouse over state back to normal.

Click the "smooth transitions" button.

This will eliminate the flickering (although, it's possible if your mouse is at the edge of the your application you may still see the mouse flicker between the hand and cursor).

Let me know if this makes sense/helps.

I tried it with your project and it looked nice (no flickering).

Thanks!

Tara

• 6. Re: strange strobe-like flashing
                    wistfullull Level 1

That worked! Thank you so much for working through this with me!