30 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 2:05 PM by pyrographics

BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share

jurica.zeleznjak Level 1

Hi! I'm trying out the new CS5 Master Collection on a Mac and I've noticed that when saving (Save, Save as..., Save a copy...) any kind of file (.ai, .eps., .pdf) on a mounted network AFP share, the saved files remains hidden and I can't see it "regulary" through Finder. I have to use "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" command to show these kind of files.

When using SMB/CIFS share, it works normally as you would expect.

Why is that? Is this a bug?

• 1. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
          [scott] Level 6

Due to the many possible network configurations which could not possibly be tested, Adobe has always recommended saving locally then copying to a server.

Some network configurations work.. some don't. Simple as that.

• 2. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
            jurica.zeleznjak Level 1

OK, I get that.

What I don't get is how come it works normally in CS4 and CS3, but it doesn't work as it is supposed in CS5 ?

I've tested it from two different Macs, same thing.

• 3. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
              [scott] Level 6

Because Adobe doesn't test each version for the billion of server configurations out there. If it worked in a previous version you were simply lucky.

• 4. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                jurica.zeleznjak Level 1

What to they rewrite the COMPLETE save function for EACH new version ??  And every feature/bug is dependent on luck ??

• 5. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                  Skullmaker Level 3

For me, every new version of Illustrator is getting worse. (opinion)

But we know for a Fact that Adobe does not provide updates or patches.

If the previous versions worked with network configuration, there is not excuse to stop working specially for "A NEW" version. If not, what is the point of buying an upgrade?

• 6. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Scott's answer is true and Adobe does not necessarily have every type of server to test this type of scenario.

You do have to consider in order to do so you would have to ask someone like yourself working in a professional environment to install beta software on that system and test an unfinished and probably unstable software and perhaps cause serious damage to that system that might cause that system t be out of service for an extended period of time or worse.

A better method would be for the developers of the service to make the servers recognize the software in a way that the users can see it and work with it.

Yes each version is updated because of new features and that require additional coding to be written into the save process so there maybe something in those new features that requires the server to be update for that reason.

Keep in mind that there are Freehand type features in CS5 and they easily could be responsible for this issue.

Or perhaps Skullmaker has something constructive to offer as to how to properly update your server?

• 7. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                      PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Yeah, when my subordinates successfully save a file to our server I always tell them that was very lucky, this way I can foster a warm lucky feeling in my workplace. Thanks Adobe…

• 8. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                        Skullmaker Level 3

Jurica,

I love this simple definition:

A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.

A constructive question:

What is the point of buying an upgrade when the new version is worse than the previous?

• 9. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                          Skullmaker Level 3

Wade,

You must be pretty smart! From where you are right now, you can tell the Jurica's server needs an update. WOW!

How do you do it?

• 10. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                            jurica.zeleznjak Level 1

I know that every new version of any software must go through (alpha/beta) testing to test new features, fixes, etc. And I know that with new features, the program must save a file with different contents, but the basic process should remain the same: [open file for writing], [dump contents], [close/save file].

And as Skullmaker said:

If the previous versions worked with network configuration, there is not excuse to stop working specially for "A NEW" version. If not, what is the point of buying an upgrade?

My point being exactly that - if it worked in a previous version with the SAME system configuration, there is no reason why should it break in a new version, especially if it is a FINAL product (not beta).

• 11. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

no reason? you can think of no reason why it might no longer work I find that hard to believe.

• 12. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                ularnaga Level 1

I agree what a joke. I have a NAS Netdisk and i have 2 designer testing CS5 now and everytime someone saves direct to the netdisk all trafic to and from the netdisks stops untill Illustrator finish saving the file. Its stoping the hole network. And its only Illustrator and only CS5 in CS4 it worked fine.. I´m sad to say but my designers have to go back to CS4.

• 13. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                  whowhatwai Level 1

I have noticed the same thing (invisible files) - we have 4 intel macs and work centrally to / from a Lacie 2big Network NAS - save a file from Illustrator CS5 onto the drive and it is invisible.. but, if I save the file instead to one of the other macs (which should still be AFP network share) it is fine, so it seems to be that Illustrator CS5 doesn't like our particular NAS...

• 14. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                    estudiografico_jf Level 1

hi!

the problem is in the disk LACIE 2big network. I just upgraded the disk to version 2.2.6 as LACIE tells me, but
                                    still keep the files HIDDEN. If I save from Illustrator CS5 to another networked computer connected via AFP (Snow Leopard
                                    10.6.4), it is saved correctly.

In short: Illustrator CS5 + LaCie 2big Network = hidden files

I want a solution NOW for Adobe or LACIE

• 15. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share

esto me contesta Adobe en el ticket:

El día 23 de Junio de 2010, usted entro en contacto con Soporte Adobe
                                      por su consulta sobre Archivos Ocultos en Illustrator CS5

Le reitero la informacion que se le ha brindado.
                                      El soporte Adobe en español -gratuito- no brinda soporte para acceso a
                                      redes. Los productos adobe estan desarrollados y testeados en unidades
                                      locales y deven emplearse de ese modo.

in english (google traslate):

On June 23, 2010, you came in contact with Adobe Support
                                      for your inquiry about hidden files in Illustrator CS5

I reiterate the information that has been provided.
                                      Support in Spanish Adobe does not provide free-access support
                                      networks. Adobe products are developed and tested in units
                                      Deven local used that way.

• 16. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                        martindiers Level 1

Pardon me for contradicting all those on this forum who are saying that this is no big deal, but at my company, we save to network drives all day, every day, from countless programs, multiple versions of OS X, and multiple versions of Adobe, Microsoft, and various other products, and ONLY Illustrator CS5 leaves hidden files in its wake.

This is not a nuisance bug that can be adressed with the lame answer of "Well, then stop saving files directly to the AFP share." Wrong answer.

Also, this has nothing to do with LaCie. LaCie is using a Linux distribution, with the standard open source AFP implementation: atalkd. At my company, we use an Ubuntu server, running atalkd and samba, which provides us file sharing for Mac and Windows without leaving all those blasted ._ resource fork files in its wake like the Apple Samba sharing does. Keeps things much cleaner. It has worked extremely well.

The hidden file problem will happen on any server using Linux / atalkd.

The atalkd AFP implementation is extremely common. It's not some fringe hackish deal. It has worked for us for years without a hitch, through 3 major (10.4, 10.5, 10.6) OS X versions, all point revs, on everything from CS2, CS3, CS4, several versions of MS Office, and countless other apps in too many combinations to count. And now, you would have be believe that Adobe gets a pass on Illustrator CS5? Please. There is no way this is not their fault and they need to fix it.

I actually had to write a droplet app using shell scripts and Platypus so that our users could drop a folder containing hidden files onto it, and it would unhide the contents of the folder.

• 18. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                          jurica.zeleznjak Level 1

Not yet....

The bug still exists even with latest updates.

• 19. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                            Creative Pod Level 1

I have the same issue, I am using OS 10.6.4.

I just upgraded from CS2 where everything was working fine to CS5 and NOW saving from Illustrator or exporting to PDF from InDesign to my Lacie 2big netwrok drive creates invisible files.

My second computer here on the network is a Power PC G5 and it can't see the files I save to the network drive.

I have come accross a toggle that I can do in the open window which is Command + Shift + Period, which temporarity shows invisible files, but this doesn't help the power PC.

I have also found saving the files to my desktop, then copying them across to the Lacie works, but this is a real pain.

We are in an environment where we both work from the RAID network drive and this is costing time = money.

I really NEED a fix and to know why the new Adobe products are all of a sudden no compatible with network drives????????

• 20. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                              eheylen123 Level 1

I found a fix here:

http://thecususergroup.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=n5200installations&thr ead=1129&page=1#5645

In short: connect as "cifs://" instead of "afp://" with the AFP network share.

It did the trick with our Lacie d2 Network 2 disk.

• 21. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                martindiers Level 1

That is not a fix. CIFS is the same as SMB. It means you are connecting to the disk as a Windows share. It works, but there are consequences:

It means that you are littering the directory with ._ files which are not compatible with netatalk. In other words, anyone still accessing the share with AFP will not see the resource forks that were saved with CIFS, and vice versa. Also, you will not be able to store a lot of metadata. Custom icons will be lost. Color labels will not work. Creator and Filetype will be lost as well.

For the most part, this is just annoying. There is now one big exception however: If you store the Mac Postscript fonts on the NAS, you will have problems. Unless your Mac can see the resource fork, you will end up with a 0-length file instead of a proper Postscript font. If you do this, then you need to make sure you use CIFS for everyone, and you also need to make sure that your Windows users (if you have any) don't delete the ._ files.

For the record, the latest version of netatalk has fixed the invisible file problem. However, any embedded system, such as the Lacie NAS solutions, are sure to contain the older version, and I highly doubt that Lacie has released updated firmware with the new version, and may, in fact, never do so.

• 22. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                  Creative Pod Level 1

Works for me

<personal info & link removed>

• 23. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                    SandroRS Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've reported exactly the same bug when trying to drag and drop stuff from Safari straight to any folder on the NAS. I mean, the files (mostly .webloc files) remains invisible. When I drag them to my desktop and then to the folder on the NAS, the Finder doesn't allow me to copy because there is the previous file, hidden.

Adobe Illustrator does the same thing that everyone said. Saves invisible files. The rest of the CS5 software doesn't report any bug like this.

I've got a bunch of Macbooks and iMacs sharing the network, using a LaCie d-2 as file server and it's the same on all of them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 24. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                      mwdiers Level 1

The LaCie NAS units are Linux based devices, using the netatalk package to provide Apple File Sharing services.

Olders versions of netatalk have the problem you are encountering with Illustrator. We had the problem on our network fileserver, which also uses the netatalk package.

I was able to resolve the problem by upgrading to the latest version of netatalk.

I would check with LaCie to see if they have updated the firmware for your device to a more recent version of netatalk. If so, you can probably resolve your issue by updating to the latest firmware from LaCie.

If not, there's probably no solution other than unhiding the files. You can do this from the command line in OS X, but that's a real pain.

• 25. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                        eheylen123 Level 1

I've updated the firmware today from 1.0.9 to 1.1.7 and the first tests seems to fix the issue of hidden .ai files on the AFP-share!

• 26. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                          e.riou Level 1

Thanks mwdiers for the informations concerning LaCie.

Thanks eheylen for the update test, it proves that Adobe needs a recent Netatalk version.

Sorry for my english... froggies are so bad in languages

My small network is build on a 5big Network1 in 2.2.6 version.

The 2.2.8 firmware is available, but i don't know if it changes the Netatalk version.

After posting a ticket on LaCie support, reporting the saving troubles with Illustrtor CS5 and InDesign PDF saves, they told me nothing... they are not sure, i may try, and may be carefull, but they don't know... what a great pleasure to have so many precious infomations when contacting LaCie technical support !!!

Just for fun : in french to prove : "Vous pouvez toujours tenter la mise à jour 2.2.8 (Il est probable que  des données disparaissent donc penser à sauvegarder) mais je vois rien  sur les rapports concernant Netatalk. Je vais faire remonter  l'information au chef de produit et il est probable que cela fasse  partie de la prochaine mise à jour qui devrait sortir dans quelques  mois."

So... On an AFP connection on a 5big Network LaCie, Illustrator CS5 create invisible files when saving directely on the network disk. It's the same when exporting PDF file from InDesign. But it work proprely with .indd, .psd, .jpg, etc files... With CS4 Creative Suite, everything worked proprely. Troubles came with CS5. It is the same with clean install on a new clean system, or with Adobe upgrade on an old system, in 10.6.1 or 10.6.6

Maybe, Adobe have a solution or a begining of explenation ?

What have been changed in saving files between CS4 and CS5 ?

Why it work with .indd or .psd and not with .pdf and .ai ?

Is LaCie firmare in cause ? beacaus it works proprely with some files and not with others ?

• 27. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share

hi guys!

any news?

This is unfortunate from Adobe...

• 28. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                              e.riou Level 1

Adobe response is :

that we are supposed to save the file on local (it's writen in the user manual)...does that meen that it's not their problem ??? i don't know. The only thing i know is that it worked proprely with CS4 softs, and it doesn't with the CS5.

LaCie response is :

We don't know, we never ear about that trouble, try something else, thanks for this reporting, we'll see what we can do in the next upgrade but it's very long... so tell us in a few mouth !!!

It's very surprising that after 6 mouth of CS5, nothing was set.

Adobe might have change something in its saving process in .ai and .pdf files, imposing a new Netatalk generation... What a good idea !!! Thanks for all the networkers. Just like if Adobe users are working alone in their own cocoon !

So... no news, from nobody.

• 29. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                                cmyrstad Level 1

I had the same problem using the latest netatalk 2.1 on a linux server. Adobe InDesign CS5 could not open from, or save to, an AFP share. InDesign 5.5 works without problems, so it seems the problemhas been solved by Adobe. -cmy

• 30. Re: BUG?? Saving files in Illustrator to an AFP network share
                                                                  pyrographics Level 1

Still on help from Adobe on their bug?  We've been using a netatalk file server for years without a problem and now that we've upgraded Illustrator won't save visible files.

BTW,  for everyone else pounding their head against the wall because of this, to get the files to show up again open the share folder via FTP and delete the .AppleDouble directory.