17 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 11:45 PM by Avalon181 Branched to a new discussion.

Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load

Avalon181

Win7 64bit

6GB Tripple-Channel DDR3

core i7 920

Ati 5870

2 Monitors 24" - running at @ 1080p each

I am trying to export a Project which CS4 had no issues at all to  export.

It is ~25minutes long, 1080p24 - using the default 1080p24 BluRay profile to export.

Even though i tried to configure Media Encoder and Premiere CS5 to reserve 3GB for other applications (so 3GB left for them), I see PProHeadless.exe eating up 5+GB Ram. At at some point (not always exactly the same point), it simply crashes and Windows7 reports that it ran out of memeory.

There were no other applications running than the MediaEncoder.

Reverted to CS4 - and again, I can export this rather simple scene without any issues.

• 1. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
          Avalon181 Level 1

I have forgotten to mention that during the time it encodes, the CPU load never goes above 12%.

Also I did not uninstall Premiere CS4 before installing CS5.

Could that cause this issue?

• 2. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
            Avalon181 Level 1

Completelly uninstalled CS4, and installed CS5 - problem STILL there.

Am I the only one with this issue? :S

• 3. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an ARTICLE with a little overview on Memory/Resources. Maybe something in it will prove useful?

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum.

• 4. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                Avalon181 Level 1

Thank's for the link. The article covers the basics of the memory 101 - but it does not explain the strange behaviour I encounter here.

Note: there is not a single plugin installed!

CS5:

MediaEncoder CS5 and Premiere CS5 are configured to reserve 4 of my 6GB Ram for other applications (did that for testing).

Memoryuseage in CS4:

• PProHeadless.exe climbs up to 5.8 GB Ram usage !!!
                  • Adobe media encoder.exe uses max. 50MB

CPU load between 0 and 10% -> estimated encoding time 10+ hours

CS4

Memoryuseage in CS4:

• PProHeadless.exe uses max. 250 MB
                  • Adobe media encoder.exe uses max. 500MB

That's a total memeory useage of 750MB max in CS4 compare to 5.8GB in CS5 with the very same scene and no plugins installed.

Encoding finishes after 1.5 hours

• 5. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                  Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I think this is something specific to that project.  I would try to de-construct the project into smaller segments to see if you can isolate a particular element that's triggering this behavior...

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                    Avalon181 Level 1

Thanks for the hint!

I have now tried several different filetypes inside a testproject in Premiere CS5.

AVCHD, mov, avi - all no problem.

B U T !!!

Premiere CS5 shows the previously reported issues when I try to have a jpg image sequence (1080p 25fps in this case) in my project!

It simply goes mayham - eats up all available memory until it runs out of ram.

I will try what happens with image sequences other than jpg - but this is definitly broken in CS5 *bah*

• 7. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load

Thanks, that's useful information.

How many frames in your jpeg sequence?  Is it just that particular jpeg sequence?  (ie, have you tried others?)  What app are you using to generate the image sequence?

The other thing I was going to suggest was to try the  direct export option out of Premiere - if you export this way, the  project is already loaded and it'll encode directly out.  I think you're  running out of ram due to PProHeadless trying to reload the same  project in a separate process, so in effect you're basically loading two copies of the same project into memory whenever you queue up an encoder to AME.

• 8. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                        Avalon181 Level 1

Thanks for your help.

How many frames in your jpeg sequence?  Is it just that particular jpeg sequence?  (ie, have you tried others?)  What app are you using to generate the image sequence?

The image sequence contains 750 stills - 1920px * 1080px

It was exported using After Effects CS4 (max quality setting)

Here is the first image of the sequence: http://uploaded.to/file/p6krtq

I have just tried to load the image sequence into VirtualDub, with the intention to export it as video so Premiere CS5 can use it (I did not want to re-export everything from After Effects into a video file).

While I did that many times in the past, VirtualDub compalined about "JPEG Decoder: Unsupported Compression (SOF2 Marker Found)"

So now I am wondering if Adobe changed something between Premiere CS4 and CS5 which would now trigger the reported problem?

Again, the very same image sequence exports nicely in CS4.

I am currently batch-converting the entire image-sequence to png, to find out if that works.

The other thing I was going to suggest was to try the  direct export option out of Premiere

I did try that allready (sorry that I didn't mention this before *oops*) - sadly with the same result.

• 9. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                          Avalon181 Level 1

I am now 100% sure that the jpeg files which After Effects CS4 exported, cause a Memory Leak in Premiere CS5.

Benchmarks Premiere CS5:

• jpg Image Sequence created by After Effects CS4 - max. quality:
                            • estimated encoding time by Adobe Media Encoder: 15 minutes
                            • after 1 minute:
                              • PProHeadless.exe uses all available memeory (5 500 MB)
                              • other (none adobe) applications start to fail because they ran out of memeory.
                              • Eventually even AME fails because it rans out of memeory.
                          • original jpg Image Sequence re-saved by Photoshop CS4:
                            • encoding finishes after 2 minutes 52 seconds
                            • AME used max 350 MB RAM
                            • PProHeadless.exe used max. 1400MB Ram
                          • original jpg Image Sequence converted to png by Photoshop CS4:
                            • encoding finishes after 2 minutes 59 seconds
                            • AME used max 340 MB RAM
                            • PProHeadless.exe used max. 1450MB Ram

In my opinion it is quite conclusive, that the originally exported jpeg image sequence from After Effects CS4, now causes a memeory leak in Premiere CS5.

This does NOT happen in Premiere CS4.

Question now is where I file an official bugreport with sample media - so that the developers at adobe can take care in an upcoming hotfix/servicepack.

• 10. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load

You can log bugs directly at http://bugs.adobe.com/ - in the meantime, I'll continue pursuing this internally.

Thanks

• 11. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                              Avalon181 Level 1

Wil Renczes wrote:

You can log bugs directly at http://bugs.adobe.com/ - in the meantime, I'll continue pursuing this internally.

Thanks

Thank you!

I did take a look at the website you linked to.

But it seems that I can only submit bugreports for the following products there:

• Flash Builder and Flex SDK
                              • BlazeDS
                              • Flash Player
                              • ActionScript Compiler
                              • ColdFusion
                              • ColdFusion Builder
                              • 12. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                Mark Morreau Adobe Community Professional

Here's another place you can log bugs and place feature requests:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

HTH

Mark

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Here is another question for you. How many processes do you have running before you start up any Adobe program and how much memory is being used?  If you have not tuned your Win 7 OS you may find it helpful to do so.  Just as an example here is a posting one of my Win7 systems showing only 29 processes running and using only 10 % of the 6 GB of memory.  You may or may not be able to achieve these results if you have other requirements as it is a very barebones configuration.

Win7-29-Processes.jpg

• 14. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                    Avalon181 Level 1

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Here is another question for you. How many processes do you have running before you start up any Adobe program and how much memory is being used?  If you have not tuned your Win 7 OS you may find it helpful to do so.  Just as an example here is a posting one of my Win7 systems showing only 29 processes running and using only 10 % of the 6 GB of memory.  You may or may not be able to achieve these results if you have other requirements as it is a very barebones configuration.

I am sorry, but if you take a close look at my recent findings, then you will notice that the problem I reported is definitly caused by a memory leak and not by too less available memeory (I have ~5.GB available after booting the system).

• 15. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                      Avalon181 Level 1

mark__m wrote:

Here's another place you can log bugs and place feature requests:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

HTH

Mark

Thanks!

Bugreport submitted.

• 16. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                        michaelb1234

Hi Avalon181,

You're not alone --- I'd be interested to know if you find a solution to this as I was having the same problem this weekend. I exported a self contained DNxHD quicktime from Avid at 1080p24 and attempted to convert it using various Adobe CS5 tools for DVD authoring and each time I saw the "AdobeQT32Server" app suck up all 5GB of Ram available to it and eventually freeze up three quarters of the way through the encode. I tried Encore enoding directly, and the Media Encoder itself and even After Effects to encode to Mpeg-2 DVD and all three seemed to do the same thing. Mine gave me a full CPU load on all 8 cores but still no luck making it to the end. I'm also running Win 7 64-bit and 6GB of triple channel RAM. Very frustrating. I ended up having to use a 4 year old DVD encoder that doesn't even technically support Vista. At least it worked though....first try.

Michael

• 17. Re: Media Encoder CS5 runs out of memory + only 10% CPU Load
                                          Avalon181 Level 1

michaelb1234 wrote:

Hi Avalon181,

You're not alone --- I'd be interested to know if you find a solution to this

For my case I did find the cause.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2805109#2805109

For some reason, Premiere CS5 does not like the Image Sequence I exported out of After Effects CS4.

Seems that adobe introduced a massive memory leak in CS5, which does not exist in Premiere CS4.