7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2010 6:53 AM by ECBowen

Graphic Card for CS5

austcoll Level 1

Hi,

What is the most affordable but GOOD video card to use with Win 7 and CS5 so  also take the most advantage of the Mercury engine?

Thanks
      Mitchell

• 1. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
          metalsaber

With the CS5 MPE "Hack", I'd say the 260 is your best bet.  It worked well for me, but I upgraded to the 480.

• 2. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
            fuaho Level 1

I've seen a lot of chatter about the "MPE Hack" but no links to where it is described/located. I have a GTX260XXX that I'd like to apply it to. Could you please tell me where can I find the info?

p.s., been in Europe with spotty WiFi for the past month so I haven't been keeping current.

All help greatly appreciated.

TIA,

• 4. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
              fuaho Level 1

Thanks Harm.

BTW, I was in Brugge & Brussels for a few days last week. Anywhere near you?

• 5. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
                acgold777 Level 1

Harm, I noticed on the PPBM4 Benchmark chart that you were/are using the GTX480.  Given what we know at this point, do you think this is still the best value out there, taking price vs. performance into account?

• 6. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Brussels is about a one hour drive.

@ Adam,

It is a bit early to say whether the extra cores and memory of the 480 justifies the price difference when compared with the 470. We need the Fermi cards certified by Adobe, so the drivers by Nvidia are trouble free (the current beta version is far from trouble free) and the Cuda support in PR is optimized to use the cores to full potential, before one can be sure.

• 7. Re: Graphic Card for CS5
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

When Adobe releases the Fermi update that fixes the rendering for the Fermi cards and also supports the 470GTX officially, that should also fix the 480GTX as well it just wont be officially supported. It's already posted several places how to fix that problem. The only way the 480GTX does not work at that point is if it is "Cough....Cough" specifically singled out not to do so by a certain "sneeze" company if you get my drift. Cores and Ram bandwidth is always the deciding performance factor with video cards when they are fully supported. The question is how much does the software utilize the card. Direct X 11 alone added significantly better multi-threading support according to Microsoft. That alone should put the 480GTX higher on the performance list with the core differences if it's really being utilized completely. When comparing the 200 series cards the difference was significant based on that once they were completely utilized.