11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2010 3:02 PM by Bernard_Smeets

PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT

ruzun Level 1

Under Edit->Preferences on one of my projects I set the scratch disks->MEDIA CACHE to point to a separate folder.  I decided against that then set it back to SAME AS PROJECT, which works for that project.  But now EVERY NEW Project I create has the scratch disks->MEDIA CACHE pointing to that CUSTOM folder I specified one time in the older project.

I set it back to SAME AS PROJECT which seems to work until I exit and come back in.  Then it always says CUSTOM but correctly points to the project directory I last specified.

I want to go back to the default Scratch Disks->Media Cache to be Same As Project but I can't seem to get it to.  All new projects just point to the last directory I specified in any previous project and say Custom.

Is there a way to get the default preferences->scratch disks back to the way it was.

• 1. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That is odd behavior, that I have not read of.

First thing that I would do would be to either Move, or Rename that "custom" folder, so that PrE cannot find it. I would hope that at the worst, PrE would ask where it is, and allow you to choose the Same As Project, and have it stick now.

If that does not work, I would "trash your Perfs." Many Adobe programs allow for the use of a keystroke when launching to do this. Unfortunately, the "magic keystroke" differs from program to program. I believe that it is the Shift key for PrE/PrPro. One would hold the Shift key, while clicking on the program icon, and holding it until the program fully launches. In some Adobe programs, one gets a dialog screen, reporting that the Preferences will be reset to default, and asking if that is what the user wants. In some Adobe programs, this screen does not pop-up, but the Preferences are reset to default. One can also manually Rename, or Move the Preferences file, forcing the program to regenerate the file. The location differs from program to program and also from version to version, so I will not confuse you with what I have, as it might well not be where yours are.

Maybe others have some ideas for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you do reset your Preferences, you will want to go to Edit>Preferences and make any changes from the default, that you desire.

• 2. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
            ruzun Level 1

If I delete the directory, it simply recreates it.  I cannot figure out where the preferences are stored and using the shift key didn't seem to work.  Does anyone know how to reset the preferences to the default?

• 3. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This is Adobe KB Article is for PrE, but see step #3.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is the Adobe KB Article for PrE 8. See step #3.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                  ruzun Level 1

I found the preferences file, deleted it.  It loses a lot of info, but it does NOT change the scratch disc setting.  It's still STUCK on the last projects

media cache for ALL new projects.  It never says SAME AS PROJECT again, it simply retains the last directory for all media cache for all future projects.  then in each project you have to MANUALLY change it back.

I can't seem to get it to default back to SAME AS PROJECT no matter what I do, even deleting the prefs file doesnt do it.

• 6. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                    ruzun Level 1

It's worse than I thought, even old projects now point to whatever the last directory I chose for MEDIA CACHE.  No project old or new defaults to

the SAME AS PROJECT for media cache files, no matter what I do in preferences.  It just seems to ignore the changes I make to that field.  Well not ignore, all projects seem to get the last folder specified.  That is if I say SAME AS MEDIA, all future and older projects now get the same directory as that specific projects media.

• 7. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Something is definitely going wrong here.

Since the resetting of the Preferences did not help, you are probably looking at uninstalling PrE, and then reinstalling it. That will not reset the Prefs, and will not affect your .PREL (Project) files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                        ruzun Level 1

I don't think I will uninstall / reinstall.  PrE8 performs poorly overall compared to 7 on my system.  I have bought CS5 now and probably won't be using 8 much anymore.  For now I've made a directory where all its media cache will go to if I need to use it again.

PrE7 is much better for me except for the fact that the sound cuts in and out badly under PrE7 and is solid in PrE8, maybe I will post and ask for help fixing the sound problems I have with 7.

• 9. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                          thelovelycarrieann

Hi ruzun,

I've been having the same problem and was wondering if you ever managed to change it.  I already did a clean install of all of my Adobe programs, including Premiere Elements, and I'm still having the exact same problem you mentioned with the scratch disk for media cache defaulting to custom.  I've installed all updates and patches, tried a number of workarounds, but nothing has corrected this problem. I was just curious if were able to correct this on your system or if you did revert to Premiere 7.

Thanks so much in advance for any info you can provide on this.

-CA

• 10. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                            ruzun Level 1

I never found any solution.  I made a scratch directory somewhere safe and now just point all PrE8 projects to that.  Overall I prefer Pre7 to 8.  I recently purchased CS5 and it's a huge improvement performance and stability wise.  I'm just waiting for a plugin I need to get ported to CS5 then I think I will be through with PrE entirely.

• 11. Re: PrE 8 scratch disc won't go back to SAME AS PROJECT
                              Bernard_Smeets Level 1

I have the same problem.

Things got a bit better when a cleared the two path entries in the registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Common\Media Cache

and setting in the pref file the cache SameAsProject. It then resets on a restart when making a new project

the media cache path to a default place like:

C:\Users\ben\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

Yet the media cache always comes up as "Custom" which is logically true.

Tried the above also in combination with clearing the registry. Reinstalling does not help.

In the user pref file it is the entry

that always jumps back.

Can anybody who does not have these problems tell me the values of the two path entries

in the above mentioned registry entry. The emtries are called

"DatabasePath2"=""
                              "FolderPath"=""

BR

/Ben

<BE.Prefs.ScratchDisks.FirstConformedAudioFolder>