3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 5:16 AM by Mike Blaustein

Splitting up a long movie into smaller chunks

sami90210

Hi,

I have very long movie I wish to split into 20 smaller movies. The first movie contains the menu so clicking on each element in the menu should call the correspondent html that embeds the other movie.

im trying to cut the relevant portion of the spirit in the score ,and paste it into a new movie,  what actually happen is that director selects the whole spirit track.

I understand that the track represents the continuation of the spirit. But I still need a way of cutting a portion only.

Any idea of a smart practice of doing this task?

Thanks
      Shay

• 1. Re: Splitting up a long movie into smaller chunks
          Mike Blaustein Level 4

You could simply copy the full movie a few times and delete the unneeded bits from the new partial movies.  Move shared resources into a shared cast and they can all use the same scripts and such

• 2. Re: Splitting up a long movie into smaller chunks
            sami90210 Level 1

by deleting the unneeded bits you mean to shorten the duration of the spirits? how to convert internal cast  into external cast?

Thanks

Shay

• 3. Re: Splitting up a long movie into smaller chunks
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

By "delete the unneeded bits" I mean that you will be removing anything that is not needed in this part of the program.  For example, lets say you have a program where there are 3 parts.

1) Menu

2) Photo area

3) Quiz

So you could easily break it up into three dir's.  First duplicate the whole movie.  Then remove anything that is not needed for the menu.  Save as "menu.dir".

Then duplicate the entire original movie again.  Remove anything that is not needed for the photo area.  Save as "Photo.dir".

Duplicate the original movie again.  Remove anything not needed for the quiz.  Save as "Quiz.dir".

Then you can just have the program jump between movies as needed depending upon the user's interaction (like clicking on the "Quiz" button or something).

To make an external cast, go to Modify, Movie, Casts. Hit the New... button and choose External.  Name it whatever you want.  Then save it and give it a filename.  For best results save it into the same folder as your source dir files.

Then you can just drag all the members that you want to be shared into this cast.  Do this before cutting the program up into pieces and all of the members that are in the shared cast will be shared amongst all the different parts.

Feel free to read the help file which explains all this.