5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 6:03 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?

jcrystal76

I need a new computer. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 (purchased in 2004). During video capture I am always dropping frames; while editing, the computer will periodically freeze; and is very sluggish. I am looking to purchase a  Dell XPS 9000, or have a computer build. Problem is, the Dell has a 64-Bit motherboard and the computer the person proposes to build for me will have a 32-Bit motherboard (limiting my system RAM to 4 GB).

The new computer will primarily be used to capture and edit video and author DVDs, and be ready to author Blu-ray DVDs in the future.

I have used Premiere Elements since it first came out, and am presently using Premiere Elements 7, and really don't intend to go beyond the consumer level of video editing software; I still have much to learn about Premiere Elements.

My questions:

• Do I go with 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
      • Will Premiere Elements 7 (and 8) run on a 64-Bit system?
      • Do I have a computer built, or will a Dell XPS 9000 be a better choice?

In building a computer I wanted a say in the components that would go into it. Dell gives you a say, but not a say in such components as the power supply, or what brand name HDDs to put in, or what brand name Optical Drives, the number of fans, et cetera.

Here is what is proposed for the computer to be built:

Intel Quad i5-750 2.66 GHz 8M LGA-1156

Intel Chipset Gigabyte GA-H55M Motherboard w/ Integrated DVI / HDMI / VGA HD Video and PCI-X slot for PC-X Video

RAM: 4 GB (2.2GB) DDR3 PC-10666

Video Card: Radeon HD 540 w/ 1 GB DDR3 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 w/ 1 GB DDR3

Audio: 7.1 Channels integrated

HDD #1 (Western Digital 500 GB)

HDD # 2 (Western Digital 1T)

Optical: DVD+/-RW / DL 22 X SATA

Capture Card: PCI 3-port Firewire 1394

Windows 7 Professional (32-Bit)

Monitor (Dell 1680 x 1050) and mouse and keyboard are not included as I hope to use the ones I presently have.

Cost: $1,865.

Thanks for any and all advice you can give.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For "future-proofing," I would go with 64-bit. There are still some driver issues and also many 3rd party add-ons are not yet 64-bit, but most are working on them. I would anticipate that the driver issues will be pretty good by SP-1 (no date that I know of).

I would guess that PrE 9 will be either a dual OS program, or at least totally optimized for 64-bit.

Dell seems to do nice machines, but they do ramp up the prices, if you want anything but their stock configuration. One might well get more, if they have a good local shop build the unit custom. That will depend on where you are located, and how good the shops and techs are there.

Looking over the specs., I would add one additional 1TB HDD, for a total of 3. I would add a BD burner, in addition to the DVD multi-drive. With 64-bit, you WILL want to bump the RAM up, and with DDR3, you will want say 9GB or 12GB. (RAM is cheap, though Dell might not think so). I would also look into a 850-900W Power Supply. Did not see Dell's selection.

This is just a guess, but I would anticipate that you could get these additions locally, for about the same price as Dell's system. Also, you will not have to remove, or disable the bloatware that any company will likely sidle you with.

You might want to look over the linked articles HERE. Harm is the Hardware guru in the PrPro forum, and keeps atop all developments. Now, some of his suggestions are for full-blown NLE workstations, but I think that all can be translated down to something less than a super-computer.

Good luck, and enjoy your new machine, regardless of what you go with,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Just a quick visit, and your speculation on Premiere Elements 9 caught my attention.

What did you mean by dual OS program or at least totally optimized for 64 bit?

For "totally optimized for 64 bit" did you mean an actual 64 bit application or optimized for 64 bit (as was done with Premiere Pro CS4) dividing the program up into .exe to bypass the 2 GB virtual address space limitation per 32 bit process?

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

My speculation was based on some of the other Adobe programs in various suites, that offer both a 32-bit and a 64-bit version on the same disc. The user decides which version they install.

Now, I do not believe that they will go to a 64-bit only version, like PrPro CS5. OTOH, I would speculate that the program, even if ONLY a 32-bit is available, will have been tweaked to get the most out of a 64-bit OS. This was done with PrPro CS4.2, and it did improve things a bit, though still far behind CS5 on a full 64-bit OS.

Remember, this is but speculation on my part, and is only based on observation of how Adobe has handled things in other programs. I have almost zero conduits to Adobe, and feel that if I directly asked about PrE 9, the answer would be "wait and see, like everyone else." That is the tack that I will take - wait and see. If I find any whispers, I will share, but Adobe was pretty tight-lipped about CS5, except what they wanted us to know and when they wanted us to know it. Job well-done Adobe.

Even my "friends," who were CS5 betas kept their word to Adobe. I could only speculate, and all were 100% true to their NDA's, but I would never pressure them to compromise their integrity. That is not my style, and I admire anyone who keeps their word.

I know that doesn't help much, but it's the best speculating that I can offer.

Nice to see you around these parts. You have been badly missed.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
                jcrystal76 Level 1

Bill:

Thanks for the advise on the customizing of the computer. I am now investigating Alienware Aurora as a possible computer purchase. Any thoughts on this machine?

Will Premiere Elements 7 and 8 operate smoothly on a 64-bit system?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 7 / New Computer / 32-Bit or 64-Bit?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Going back to the pre-Dell days, I was looking at their laptops, but choose the Sager instead.

Many have cited the higher prices for the Alienware products, but I have to admit that I have not looked at their desktops, or their newer laptops. I cannot comment, other than to repeat whispers, and I do not know how closely the others compared their units with equal units.

I have a builder, who understands graphics workstations, so except for laptops, seldom look to the various companies - and only to the parts.

Sorry that I am not much use in this,

Hunt