8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 9:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Surcode & Cineform's HDLink

E Baldwin Level 1

When you install Surcode can Cineform's HDLink use the Surcode Dolby Digital Decoder?

Ed B

• 1. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

This might be something to ask Minnetonka Audio (SurCode), or Cineform, or test.

Adobe Dynamic Link to Encore does not support the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in encoder, so my guess would be NO, but that is only speculation on my part, and not based on any knowledge.

Good luck, and please report, as others will probably be watching,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
            E Baldwin Level 1
            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

This might be something to ask Minnetonka Audio (SurCode), or Cineform, or test.

Adobe Dynamic Link to Encore does not support the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in encoder, so my guess would be NO, but that is only speculation on my part, and not based on any knowledge.

Good luck, and please report, as others will probably be watching,

Hunt

Thanks for you response. I sent an email to Minnetonka and will share their response and anything else I learn.  Cineform suggests using ac3filter if you do not have a DD decoder that will share with HDLink. I ran some tests comparing the same DD file converted to PCM by Vegas and TMPGEnc, both DD approved codecs, with same file converted by ac3filter. When I compared the PCM waveforms in Soundforge, the Vegas and TMPGEnc waveforms looked identical but the AC3filter waveform was obviously different (not gain). IMHO not a good choice.

Ed B

• 3. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Please share the response from Minnetonka. I have dealt with them in the past and always got rapid and complete responses - they have impressed me greatly. Hope that you have the same luck.

Looking forward to the update,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
                E Baldwin Level 1

Minnetonka's response "The SurCode for Dolby Digital product is Adobe specific and not part of any other offering unfortunately. If a Dolby Digital product would be needed in Cineform, it would most likely be a licensed OEM offering and not a retail product like Adobe's SurCode implementation." I can always replace the audio track after using HDLink.

Bill are you using Surcode?

- Ed B

• 5. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

I am. I was so happy with it, that I bought it for both copies of PrPro 2.0, that I have. It works perfectly from within PrPro. Now, I am not using Adobe Dynamic Link (an early version was available in my CS2 Production Studio), so I am Exporting to elemental/elementary streams already. The lack of SurCode encoding w/ ADL is a drawback for some users of later versions of PrPro, but isn't anything that bothers me.

I have just never used Cineform, so cannot comment on any aspect of it, especially as might relate to SurCode.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting.

Hunt

PS - I also have the SurCode DTS encoder, but it is a stand-alone and not a plug-in. The workflow with it is a bit different, but the results on a supplemental Audio Track in Encore is fabulous. If you have never heard DTS, try it. Remember, it cannot be a primary Audio Track, but only a supplemental Audio Track.

• 6. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
                    E Baldwin Level 1

Bill,

It sounds very ineresting but I have to figure out how to get more hours in a day. What are you using to record you surround channels?

-Ed B

• 7. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
                      Kobi_Sargeant

I'm kinda confused by the responses here - the OP is asking if HDLink can use Surcode to decode AC3 to PCM, right?  Since HDLink simply checks that the system has a valid AC3 decoder onboard then if there aren't other decoders with higher priority then the Surcode may indeed work ....  I know HDLink can use ac3filter, coreavc and ffmpeg.

That said, keep in mind ac3filter has a comprehensive menu with many settings and it would surprise me if you couldnt tweak it to produce a decode equivalent to TMPGEnc.

• 8. Re: Surcode & Cineform's HDLink
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

In my case, I usually have faux 5.1 SS, created in PrPro (and sometimes Audition). When I have 6-channel source footage, a sound crew has mic'ed the auditorium, or hall, and provide me with six, discrete PCM/WAV files, for each mic. For the faux 5.1, I have a common, but flexible workflow, and it involves some gating, some EQ'ing, some Delay and a bit of selective Reverb for my music Tracks. I position my vocals, as is needed, and adjust them to suit.

Between you and me, I would never use one of those 5.1 SS cameras, in that mode, as it is "bogus" in my estimation, and much more trouble, than it is worth. More time is spent trying to clean that "stuff" up, than actually editing.

Good luck,

Hunt