3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 8:48 AM by kglad

Does nobody know?

AllyPugh Level 1

I posted this query

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/632721?tstart=0

I have had no response as yet. Surely somebody knows?

• 1. Re: Does nobody know?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

there's never a reason to assign a variable to a textfield and it should be avoided.

that said, cs4 has a variable field in the properties panel just like previous versions of flash (when using as2).

• 2. Re: Does nobody know?
            AllyPugh Level 1

Thanks for the response!

I'm following this one frame Preloader tutorial http://www.flzone.com/go?7935

Its asks me to name the variable.

I think it may be my copy of Flash, I have no option in the properties inspector to label a 'Var'.

Is there a way to label it in the AS?

Or do you know another full proof simple preloader tutorial? I want the whole swf. to load before launching the content for the viewer you see. I've tried a load of tutorials and none are working withought using 10-15 frames at the beginning of the timeline. I only have 1 frame to put it in

• 3. Re: Does nobody know?
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you can use anybody's tutorial but i'd be suspicious of any that used a textfield variable.  that person is very flash-savvy.

instead of using a textfield variable, assign your textfield an instance name use use its text property instead of the associated variable.  ie, everyplace you see:

tfVar  // where tfVar is the textfield's variable

use

tf.text  // where tf is the textfield's instance name.