21 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 9:27 PM by the_wine_snob

Blurry Text/titles

ObediahThomas

I add titles and it looks perfect in the edit mode but in playback mode or after burning to DVD or upload to YouTube the text is blurry.  Seems like that should be more clear then the video I add or the pictures.  Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: Blurry Text/titles
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure why your Titles are not sharper, but this ARTICLE might offer some tips, that will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blurry Text/titles
            ObediahThomas Level 1

thank you that coud be helpful.  I never change the DV Codec compression.  could my preset not be right?  How would I change the Codec setting?

• 3. Re: Blurry Text/titles
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The bigger issue could be how and where you're viewing these videos.

If you are watching them full-screen on your computer, you're looking at them at several times their resolution -- which can make text and details seem fuzzy.

The only fair way to judge if your text is blurry is watching your video on a TV from a standalone DVD player or, for a YouTube file, on a YouTube web page rather than at full video screen.

• 4. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                ObediahThomas Level 1

Nope they are blurry in the smal playback window, on YouTube and on DVD.

They are NOT blurry in the edit mode, as I type them or resize them.  but as soon as I go out of edit mode they go fuzzy again.

• 5. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

One addition to the viewing is on a calibrated CRT monitor, though that is not an easy workflow with PrE. The standard TV via a DVD player (use DVD RW's to keep from making coaster, but do NOT deliver those), is as good as it gets.

What many do not take into consideration is that DVD-Video is older, lower-rez technology, and while it WAS the "standard," now looks pretty bleak on HD TV's, high-rez computer monitors and against BD. At least some of us "old guys," can still relate to VHS, and even S-VHS, so DVD-Video is about 5x better.

Good points Steve, and could well be the key. A good example of why you appear on Oprah to discuss your books!

Hunt

• 6. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                    ObediahThomas Level 1

Ok.  Sounds good.

The final format will be played on a computer through a projector onto a screen.

Should I load it into the computer through a thumb drive or something to avoid DVD?

Is there a better quality DVD than DVD RW?  I was using DVD -R.

Just seems to me that the text should be the clearest thing on the final edit, but it's the worse.  The video looks fine.

Could it be my original settings when I started the project?  I started with the preset of not HD, but the one for DV firewire download.

If that is the is the case, do I need to start all over or is there a way to cut from one project and paste to another?

I really appreciate your help on this. Thank you.

• 7. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

A lot will depend on the projector, but the best output would be to do an HD Project (if you have HD Assets), and then Export to BD. The laptop would need a BD drive, or one hooked to it. Another transfer method would be to use an external drive, but I would Copy from that to the laptop's internal HDD, as any connection below FW-800, or eSATA, will probably be too slow.

If one does not have HD Assets, and the output needs to be SD, then either a DVD, or thumbdrive. With the thumbdrive, I would STILL copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the laptop.

As for the type of DVD media, they will all be the exact same. The only difference will be the playability in the drive/player. Most current computers have true, certified multi-drives, so playability is less of an issue. I would still use the best brand of media possible, i.e. Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

For a full explanation of the DVD-specs, the links in this ARTICLE might be useful. As you'll see, everything is pretty well, and narrowly defined in the specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                        ObediahThomas Level 1

Great Bill thanks,

I have a bit of learning to do on some of the specs you were talking about but now I have a direction to go.  It seems like what you discuss is about the overall quality.

One thing though, The video in my final edit are coming out nicely, it's just the text that is a bit blurry.  And this is true on my computer in the PE program playback before I transfer to DVD.  When I edit the text it's clean and crisp.  But in playback, It seems like their is a layer on top of the text that makes it blurry.  Or some kind of filter.  But of course there isn't...not any I put there.

• 9. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

For playback in the Program Monitor, let's insure that you are getting the best display there. I'd Rt-click and choose 100% vs Fit.

Do not know if PrE 8 has added the Quality setting, like PrPro has, but if there is one, check that it's not set to Draft. In PrPro, and depending on the exact video card, Automatic is the best, while for others, Highest is the best setting. This is not available in my PrE 4, so it is only a guess - might not have been added yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - also remember that the Program Monitor is but an emulation and is pretty far from a 100% representation. In PrPro, the ultimate test for quality is to feed the Program Monitor to a calibrated, NTSC (or PAL) CRT monitor via FireWire and an A-D device. Otherwise, one is just looking at an emulation.

PPS - out of curiosity, when you stop playback, does the now still image get sharper?

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PPS

• 10. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                            ObediahThomas Level 1

looking at it now, yes the image looks better paused than in motion.  But the Titles are killing me.  If there is anything that should be crystal clear it should be the titles.  they aren't moving.  I could understand it if the blurry part were things I brought in.  But these are the PE letters and fonts.  just sitting there over video and even over a non moving color block.  and they are blurry.

There seems to be two edit modes with text.  One that has the lines of text where I can add and delete and select text. I can choose the pointer and move that box wherevever I want it.  But there is a large box that covers the whole playback screen that I can move around and shrink.  It has cross hairs in the center of the box.  If I double click that box I get back to the text editing box.  What's that about?

• 11. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, there is the Paragraph Text (large text box, created by click-dragging) and then the regular text, created by click-typing.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                ObediahThomas Level 1

If I were to redo my project in HD would it make better clearer titles?

And is there a way to cut and paste from one project to another?

• 13. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                  ObediahThomas Level 1

So, why in the regular text mode is the text crystal clear and in the paragraph text mode is it blurry?

• 14. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

There should be no reason for this, as the created Text should be identical, other than how the word-wrap is done automatically in Paragraph Text, rather than with line-breaks.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, an HD Project will improve things, because of the higher resolution. However, what you end up with will depend on your source footage. Do you have an HD version of the Clips, etc.? If you are working with stills and Titles only, then you can Scale up (from your original still images) in PS to match your HD Project.

Unfortunately, PrE does not offer a direct Copy/Paste between Projects, but many users have added a utility, ClipMate, to allow for this. I have no experience with it, so cannot comment. You might want to first Search this forum for "clipmate," and read the instructions offered, plus the URL for that utility program.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                        ObediahThomas Level 1

Seems that going to HD won't help, since it is all about the titles and not the video.  My video is turning out fine.

Can you explain how to "Scale Up"?

• 17. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have still images from a digital camera, or scanned film, they are very likely much larger than the Frame Size of either an SD, or HD Project. One is best served to Scale those original files to approximately the Frame Size of the Project for several reasons, as stated in this ARTICLE. If one has already Scaled to an SD Project, and then decides to use those still images in an HD Project, they are best served to go back to the original image files and do the Scaling all over again. In PS, Actions will help one automate this easily. Then, for that HD Project, one would just Import those new, properly Scaled image files.

Besides these Titles, what are your other Assets?

Hope that helps,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                            ObediahThomas Level 1

Assests I guess you mean video from from my DV camcorder (sony  DCR-TRV 19)

Some still images jpg.s not from video.

And audio tracks mixed in a studio.

Learned something interesting, if you have teh firewire still plugged into your camera and computer it dramatically stops playback in the monitor.

I have now created jpg's to replace the PE text in my project.  Looks better so far,  but I still need to see it on the big screen or through a projector.

• 19. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of your stills? Large still images can bring the program and a computer to its knees.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                                ObediahThomas Level 1

960 x 720

96 dpi.

• 21. Re: Blurry Text/titles
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, and thank you. That is well withing the max size.

Good luck with the Imported titles.

Hunt