5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2010 10:22 AM by MDBoxberger

Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF

FHWCStefanie

When using the Windows 7 search feature to find a pdf document, Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of the document.  It will search the content of a word, excel, publisher file, but not a PDF.  Why is this?

• 1. Re: Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

FHWCStefanie wrote:

When using the Windows 7 search feature to find a pdf document, Reader 9.3

So, are you using the Windows search feature, the Reader search feature or both?

Are you sure that the PDF's contain live text and are not scans (a scan just being a picture of some text)?

• 2. Re: Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF
            FHWCStefanie Level 1

We just purchase a new computer and Adobe Reader doesn't have the same

capabilities as our old one.  On the old computer we could search the same

exact files, using the windows search feature, and locate files that

contained certain words.  They are scans, but that didn't same to be a

problem on the old computer.  If I were to search my last name: Gernert, the

search feature would locate the file shown below because my name was in the

item scanned.  Notice that the name of the file doesn't have my name in it.

• 3. Re: Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I am replying to your original message so that you may still be able to edit your last one in case you want to remove all that personal information in your signature.

You didn't include your file, and I very much doubt that any program can find any word in any image, that does not really contain text. It that would be possible, it would also be possible to copy and paste text from a screenshot, which you can only do if you copy it as an image.

• 4. Re: Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF
                ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Claudio González wrote:

and I very much doubt that any program can find any word in any image, that does not really contain text. It that would be possible, it would also be possible to copy and paste text from a screenshot, which you can only do if you copy it as an image.

Agreed.

It seems that we are missing something here since no, you cannot do a text search on a file that contains no text. Impossible.

Also, it sounds like you aren't even using Reader to do the search? If that's the case, you would want to find a Windows forum to ask your question.

But really, I think something is missing here so if you have any more details you can think of you might want to add, that would be great.

• 5. Re: Reader 9.3 is not searching the content of a PDF
                  MDBoxberger

I just encountered the same problem.  The document was created by an application that I regularly use, and

other documents have been searchable.

The Foxit Reader will succesfully search the same document.  The document is not a scanned image or anything like that.

But, other documents created by other applications are searchable.

So, anyone know if there's some feature in a document that would disallow searching -- but that FoxIt reader would ignore, and search anyway?

Matt