3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 1:12 PM by the_wine_snob

Export / Share Settings

Brian5088 Level 1

Good afternoon,

I seem to be having a problem with PE-8 outputting to a DVD that will fill the TV screen when viewed.  I have a JVC-HC camcorder that creates MTS files that I import into PE-8 just fine and looks like it should fill the screen when previewing.  The problem starts when I try to export it using the SHARE tab.  I have several "projects" that I want to combine into one movie so I share them to the "Personal Computer", pick the MPEG setting, then set the Preset to "MPEG2 1920x1080i 30", name the file and pick the SAVE button.  (I see the frame size is default set to 1920x1080 with no way to change it) When I export the movie file It looks reduced when I add it into the master combine file.  If I SHARE directly to DVD I pick "NTS_Widescreen_Dolby DVD" allow it to burn the DVD, when played on my Blue-Ray / DVD payer it still only shows a small frame (about 17x22) on my 52" HD-TV.

What am I doing wrong?

Using PE-3 I never had this problem and only upgraded to 8 because of my new HD-Camera.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

• 1. Re: Export / Share Settings
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Brian,

It sounds like you are starting with HD footage, but I am not clear if you are Importing this footage into an HD Project, or not. Can you clarify?

Now, if you have HD source material, and an HD Project, if you author a DVD (SD), that will reduce the material to 720 x 480, if it's NTSC. That will then need to be up-rezzed by the BD player for display on an HD TV. There will be various settings on both the player and the TV on how to handle the up-rezzed material. This will depend on the actual equipment and how it does the up-rezzing.

If you take your HD material, in an HD Project and output a BD, this will not be an issue.

Not sure that will help, but if you can tell us more about your Project Preset, we might be able to narrow things down a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export / Share Settings
            Brian5088 Level 1

I guess it's the new HD stuff that's messing me up.  Here is the plan, make 5 short videos from 5 minutes to 15 minutes long, add each of the projects into a single video of about 40 minutes long the export the completed DVD with a soundtrack.

I filmed in the HD setting on the camcorder:

Type: MPEG Movie (creates a .MTS file type)

File Size: 36.0 MB

Image Size: 1920x1080

Pixel Depth:32

Frame Rate: 29.97

I started a new project in PRE-8 with the default settings of: (this may be the mistake)

Editing Mode: DV NTSC

Timebase: 29.97 frames/second

Frame Size: 720 Horiz, 480 Vert, 4:3

PIXEL Aspect: D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

Fields: Lower field first

Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Tile Safe Area: 20%, 20% Vert

Action Safe Area: 10%, 10% Vert

If this is where my error is, can it be reset on an existing project or will I have to start from scratch.

I completed the editing of the project and output to: PC settings MPEG2 1920x1080i 30-HD

File Type: MPEG2 Blu-ray

Frame Size: 1920x1080

I then imported the 5 files with the settings above into one "Master" project, applied the Soundtrack and exported the master project to: PC settings MPEG2 1920x1080i 30-HD

File Type: MPEG2 Blu-ray

Frame Size: 1920x1080

The original video when viewed from the camcorder fills the TV screen completely and looks great.  Now I just need to re-learn how to setup PRE-8 for HD recordings and have them output correctly.

Thanks you very much for your quick response!

Brian

• 3. Re: Export / Share Settings
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The Project Preset should match your source footage.

Now, if you are going to output to a DVD-Video (SD, Standard Def), there is a problem - you are starting with HD, 1920 x 1080, and you will need to down-rez to SD, 720 x 480 for the DVD-Video. PrE can do this, but the results will not be the greatest. This might be the best that can be done at this point. One issue will be that your source footage is square pixels, and the DVD will be either 4:3 (Standard) with a PAR = 0.9, or 16:9 (Widescreen) with a PAR = 1.2. These are some of the issues between HD and SD.

This TUTORIAL has one workflow for down-rezzing outside of Premiere, but is written with PrPro CS4 in mind as the editor, and not PrE. Still, one can get some ideas from it, and this workflow yields very good results from the down-rezzed HD to SD.

You could use your HD material in an HD Project, and then output to a BD, but would need a BD burner and then a BD player to play this back on a TV, or a BD drive to play it back on the computer through a software player, that handles BD.

Some users have had good luck burning HD Projects to DVD, in BD format. The biggest limitation is the disc capacity, and how little HD material will fit. This does get around not having a BD burner, but a BD player will still be necessary for playback.

Many cameras allow one to shoot in HD, but then Capture in SD (outputting from the HDV tape in SD), but that means starting completely over.

Not sure what to recommend for the best results and the ultimate utilization of your existing work. Were it me, I would use the HD footage in an HD Project, burn to BD and then use a BD player to display, but you already have the SD Project with all the work done.

Maybe another user will have a workflow that will get you closer to what you want and with what you have.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful