5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2010 3:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Imported Audio Not Working

JoshDu

I'm trying to use Premiere to split up an hour long audio clip and export it as separate files. However, when I imported the file a message read, "Compilation error." I tried it again and it imported, but there was no sound. All the correct info was there (time length, etc.).

I tried the same the on Soundbooth as well and got the same result. Help?

• 1. Re: Imported Audio Not Working
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us the complete specs of the source files? There is likely an issue there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Imported Audio Not Working
            JoshDu Level 1

Type: MP3 Audio

File Size: 137.8 MB

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 01:00:13:18816

Average Data Rate: 39 KB / second

It's odd because a day before I imported the audio fine but it was previously at a different file location. After I moved it and tried to import it again, that's when it began failing.

• 3. Re: Imported Audio Not Working
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, MP3's have been known to cause problems, especially Import issues. However, that the same file Imported fine one day, but not the next rather blows the MP3 problem, directly.

Now, from the new location, does the MP3 file play fine in a player, that handles MP3's? That would probably eliminate the prospect of a corrupted file, due to the move. You might also want to download and install the great little free audio-editor, Audacity, and Open that MP3 in it. How does it Open and how does it play there? Audacity is one of the most lenient audio-editors, that I know. If all is fine there, just do a Save_As PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) 48KHz 16-bit file, and try Importing that into PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Imported Audio Not Working
                JoshDu Level 1

That seemed to work, thanks a lot!

• 5. Re: Imported Audio Not Working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome!

As mentioned, MP3's can be highly problematic, though the biggest issues seem to be with Importing. Still, there have been cases, of those files' Audio dropping out, even at the Burn point in Encore. Other than tiny SFX files, I always convert MP3's to WAV, prior to Import. That does NOT regain the loss in quality, due to the MP3 compression, but allows them to work perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt