9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2010 12:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed

drmark1105

Hi Friends: I have been battling with the error message of ... "Type of file not support or codec not installed."  I have been throughout the forums searching for answers and attempting various suggestions.  I am stumped and am reaching out for some wisdom and help.

1.)    System Gateway – T-6859u, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2Ghz, 4 Gig ram, Problem has existed on both Vista and upgraded Windows 7.  I have used Premiere since Premier 5 (Full version not elements) including versions 6 and PRO.  I have Elements on my laptop for convenience.

2.)    Assets- Problem exists with all AVI files.  This includes files that worked previously but will no longer be recognized.  I have used Elements since version 7 was new.  It is only the last 4 months this has been and issue.  These are AVIs that previously working in Elements 7 from Panasonic DV camera and other DV sources. 

3.)    Problem first appeared when Windows Update installed security patch KB975560.  Once the Security patch installed Premiere quit running AVIs.  When the patch was removed Premiere worked again. However, windows update continued to reload the patch.  The patch has now been removed and prevented from reloading.  However, the problem now persists.

4.)    Other attempted repairs.  Reloading Premiere Elements 7, Upgrading to Windows 7, Removing and reinstalling K-Lite Codec packs inc standard and 64bit.  Loading LEADTOOLS.  None has repaired the problem  All the AVI files playback fine in other programs including Windows Movie Maker, Media Player Classic, WM player etc.

I'm not sure what to do next.  I have been a dedicated Premiere user for so many years, I don't want to switch to another program.  Any suggestions friends?

DrMark1105

• 1. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What version of Apple's QT Player do you have installed?

PrE relies on this much more than its big-brother, PrPro, until CS5.

From my experience, QT  7.5.5 was my "last known good," and some problems have been reported with the 7.6.2 and 7.6.3 versions. 7.6.6 is out, and works well for many Adobe users.

I would investigate updating QT Player.

Also, FFDShow, an element in K-Lite has been death to PrPro for many people. Just having it installed brings PrPro to its knees.

Though Adobe hides its CODEC's pretty well, K-Lite has been known to shift the priority of the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. While it does not overwrite them, or delete them, it sets up some of its CODEC's to take priority. There are some older threads on Registry editing and utilities to reset the priority of the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. Seems that Robert Johnson participated in those discussions and may have furnished the link to at least one utility.

Those are all the thoughts that I have now, and none might be of use.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Robert has not been around here lately, but does spend time on the Muvipix Community forum. I'd post there in the PrE 7 forum, and ask if anyone has any ideas too.

• 2. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
            drmark1105 Level 1

Bill thanks so much for your input.  I appreciate it.  I am running the latest Apple Quicktime 7.6.6.   I did uninstall K-lite to see if it was interferring.  Unfortunately, it did not help the Premiere 7 avi issue.  The thing that surprises me is that the same AVIs run fine in Quicktime, Media Player and Windows movie maker.  Somehow, only Adobe Premiere is affected.  Thank you again for the input.  I will check also with Muvipix.  Any other input is appreciated.

Mark

• 3. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What is the source of these AVIs? Are they, for instance, video from a still camera?

Typically video from a still camera (which is called MJPEG-AVI) plays fine in Media Player and Quicktime but does not work well with Premiere Elements.

• 4. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                drmark1105 Level 1

Hi Steve:

Thank you for offering your support. It is appreciated.  I have tried files from multiple sources.  These do include MJPEG-AVI, but also DV video from a Sony Camcorder and DV video from a Panasonic Camcorder.  All give the same error message.  These files previously all worked in Premiere 7 until the Microsoft Update patch to prevent compromise through an AVI appeared.  At first, removing the patch worked.  However, even with the patch supposed removed with the help of Microsoft tech support the problem persists.  All these files worked previously in PE  7 and all of them still work fine in Quicktime, Media player, and Movie Maker.

Mark

• 5. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mark,

Out of curiosity, is FFDShow still installed? It is normally also installed with K-Lite, but is tough to get rid of. I'd first look in Add/Remove Programs, and see if it shows up.

A Search of the Registry for "ffdshow" might also point out whether it is still there.

It has been known to cause many issues with PrPro installations, but I don't recall so many problems in PrE.

Also, the more info that you can provide to Steve's question above, the easier that it might be to pin-point the cause of the errors.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                    drmark1105 Level 1

Hi Bill:

I did a fresh UNISTALL of K-lite to verify it wasn't the culprit.  I also went into the registry and deleted 3 occurances of ffdsow.

Unfortunately, the result is the same.  I tested 3 files, all of which worked previously with PE7, including Panasonic DV camcorder footage loaded into PE7 as well as Mpeg AVI.  These files that previously worked still yield the same error message in PE7: "file unsupported or required codec not installed".  They still work perfectly fine in Windows Live Photo gallery with seamless playback.  However without the k-lite that are now choppy in WM player and quicktime.

• 7. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

It sounds like something has corrupted, crippled, removed, or altered the priority of your main CODEC's. Do not think that the Panny CODEC will be in PrE, but a reinstall of PrE, or a Repair Install, should write those, and link them properly. The Panny might need to be installed again - just do not know about it.

That is one of the problems with adding CODEC's, is that they can do harm to other CODEC's. That is why I only add ones that I need, when I need them, and then try to go directly to the source, even if I have to pay for them. I do not want any CODEC's doing anything to my CODEC's, that are running fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                        drmark1105 Level 1

Hi Bill and Steve:

I have found the problem.  Even after deleting k-lite and all references of FFDshow, deleting PE7 and reloading PE7 it still was not working.  I tried another approach.  Instead of using the "Organize" tab and "Get Media" I instead used drag and drop feature of windows.  When dragging in the files they all work fine.  However, when using Premiere to get the file, it still comes up as an "error- file not supported or required codec not installed."  So it appears the codec is not the issue but PE7s ability to "Get Media".  Essentially, PE7 still has a problem but I can work around it.  I greatly appreciate the input you gave.  It helped spur me on to keeping up the fight.

• 9. Re: Tried Most Everything... Error Type of file not supported... codec not installed
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I am glad that you have a workaround. I still cannot imagine what is causing the Get Media problem. Thanks for reporting. Glad that we could be somewhat helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt