2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2010 11:20 AM by MattSquibbs

_root problem, with scrolling image gallery in Flash web page

MattSquibbs

Hi there.

I am attempting to create a basic Flash website to promote myself online. To do this I require a scrolling gallery of images on one of my pages.

I have found and implemented a tutorial online allowing me to have a scrolling gallery, but what I need to do is include it within the rest of the pages I have created.

As I am a newcomer to ActionScript (in this case 2.0), I don't know how the code I have used for the scrolling gallery works, to allow me to use it, inside the root level page.

The script says:

_root.onEnterFrame = function()

{ if (_root._yMouse<594)

{

myVar=false;

}

if (_root._yMouse>594)

{

myVar=true;

}

if (_root._xMouse<212 and myVar == true)

{

imgBar.prevFrame();

imgBar.prevFrame();

imgBar.prevFrame();

}

else

{

imgBar.play();

}

if (_root._xMouse>753 and myVar == true)

{

imgBar.nextFrame();

imgBar.nextFrame();

}

else

{

imgBar.play();

}

if (_root._xMouse>212 and _root._xMouse<753 and myVar == true)

{

imgBar.stop();

}

}

What I need to do, is put the scrolling gallery feature 1 level INSIDE the site, instead of on its "root". When saving the scrolling gallery feature as a movie clip, I coped the frame it was on and pasted that on the "images" page, within the navigation bar movie clip where the other page contents reside. ie Contact, Animations, Intro, etc.

When doing this, the gallery is present on the page once the "images" tab is clicked on the navigation, but only the scrolling thumbnails are present on screen, and not the blown-up main image each of the thumbnails refers to, so when clicked on, no main image appears.

But when placed on the "root" or outer-most layer of the site, the gallery works fine.

I really need to know how to include this scrolling gallery feature WITHIN the navigation bar with the other pages, how can I do this? What actionscript could I use as a replacement to the "_root", to make the gallery function correctly?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.