8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 12:02 PM by Chuck A. McIntyre

Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions

rawatts Level 1

The last computer I built was about 4 years ago.  I was an Adobe Premier Elements user and the latest version required the processor to have SSE instructions and my old computer did not.  History repeats because my AMD 4400+ will not work with my Blu Ray burner and will be getting CS5 on Monday.  I am a hobbyist and use CS4 mostly to make soccer DVDs for one of my son’s soccer teams. I make unedited game DVDs almost every week.  I usually make a highlight DVD once a year of the approximately 30 games for all 18 players.  Nothing too fancy – three tracks of video at the most and often two sound tracks.  Limited transitions, effects, color correction, etc.  I shoot in HD with a Canon XH A1. Up to now I use the camera to down convert to SD widescreen.  I am planning to start making Blu Rays with the new computer.  I also have a family Canon HD mini dv camera ( I make a family DVD each year – again nothing too elaborate).  I can see getting an avchd camera in a few years (tapes might be hard to find the way things are going).  I selected the motherboard for SATA 6 and USB 3.0.  Please let me know what you think.

New Computer:

Lian Li pc-a77f – case

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - motherboard

I7-930  just bought

GTX 480 but might inherit sons 260 or get by on my Nvidia Quadro fx3500 for now

Crucial 2GB BL25664BN1337  X 6 for 12GB

Rosewill 1000W RBR 1000-M  Power supply

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate – already have

VelociRaptor 600 for OS and CS5

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB Scratch Disk

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB X 4 Raid 5 for video files

LG GGW-H20L already own

• 1. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
          shooternz Level 6

Cant imagine why you would not put in a video card that is not "supported"   - for MPE  especially considering your paln to get an AVCHD camera.

Cant imagine why anyone would choose a camera that shoots AVCHD.

.....More bandwidth in this forum relates to AVCHD (devil spawn) issues than anything else.  I never ever read of anyone  having a "beautiful relation ship " with this stuff in any version of PPRO ( but maybe they are of the type that keep it a big secret)

• 2. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
            Jeff Bellune Level 6

Cant imagine why anyone would choose a camera that shoots AVCHD

Then you are Squidward, and like SpongeBob says, "Use your imaaaaaaagination".  See?  You just need to imagine a little bit harder.

-Jeff

• 3. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
              Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

shooternz wrote:

"Cant imagine why anyone would choose a camera that shoots AVCHD."

I've wondered the same thing myself.  Are these cameras cheaper, or do they allow for a higher quality finished video?  Our two Panasonic HVX200P shoot beautiful DVCPROHD 1080i.

I have stacked Panasonic 1080i P2 footage on a CS5 timeline 20 layers deep with varying opacities... picture in pictures spinning every which way, different blending modes, gaussian blur, Fast Color Corrector, each clip different and all but the bottom layer set to varying opacities that allow footage from the lower layers to show through.  I get smooth playback of these 20 layers at full resolution with a yellow render line.

My system is nothing special and cost around $1800 to build.  Basically an i7 920, 12GB of RAM, Raptor 150 system drive, 4 other internal media drives (not raid).  My video card is an Nvidia 285GTX from BFG.

It's almost like, if you don't spend your money on a camera that outputs a good editing format, you're gonna spend a lot more on an editing system that can handle AVCHD.

Someone made the point in another thread that we editors aren't going to be putting 20 layers of hi-def footage on a timeline.  The 20 layers to me is not a practical application demo, but instead an indication of what the Mercury Playback Engine is capable of, with a quality editing format like Panasonic P2.

Last night I was exploring creativity with our latest system, MPE and CS5.  In an AE linked comp, I applied the cartoon effect and posterize.  Back to the Premiere timeline, I added a couple of jumpbacks in the layers above set at different blending modes.  I did have to render, but on our other system in CS4 with the Q6600 processor, rendering would take a couple of hours... not worth the trouble.  Rendering on our new system by comparison only took 14 minutes.

The bottom line in my opinion is, formats like AVCHD edited on less than an outrageously powerful and expensive computer will stifle your creativity.

• 4. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
                rawatts Level 1

Cant imagine why you would not put in a video card that is not  "supported"   - for MPE  especially considering your paln to get an  AVCHD camera.

Trying to save money somewhere and it seems early in the CS5 ultimate video card determination.  It only take a few minutes to change cards!  Even with my old video card CS5 will be faster and I am sure the new computer will make a big difference - even without a supported card.  Not being a professional most of my "waiting time" is when a DVD is rendered and this should be much reduced - even without a supported card.  Most of the time I have the luxury of doing something else for a few hours.

If you were talking about the 260, I thought I heard the hack has it working with CS5.

If you were talking about the fermi 480 I thought someone said CS5 works with it and no hack.

Cant  imagine why anyone would choose a camera that shoots AVCHD.

I thought this would get a few comments   I sometimes shoot High School games with tape and OnLocation on a laptop.  I usually get home late at night after a game and make a quick transfer from the laptop to my desktop to have a DVD for the coaches the next day.  That is one time I will be glad to have the DVDs done before midnight.  If I did this for a living it might be interesting to see how the footage from a 60p camera compares to mine -especially in slow motion highlights.  I thought I would receive some comments on my choice of motherboard.  The last two computers I built used Asus, but this seems to be a better value for me.

• 5. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
                  rawatts Level 1

Chuck,

Thank you for your thoughts.  I might re-think the raid and save money and processor power and buy a 2TB drive for media.

Bob

• 6. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

AVCHD is a wonderful acquisition codec but hard to edit due to the compression level. If you are filming allot of sporting events or other events that have a long recording time, then AVCHD is ideal. The easy way around the hard to edit problem without serious hardware is buy Neo Scene and transcode the AVCHD to Cineform's codec which is not nearly so compressed and will upsample the color where it's able. Then you can edit the material on a laptop even if you want. The software costs $99 to $125 depending on where you get it. With the money you save on an AVCHD camera, you should be able to afford the software.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
                      rawatts Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have been shooting and making DVDs of about 50 soccer games a year for the last 8 years.  My last soccer playing son graduates high school next year and I think I will be ready for the break, but then again I might be bored and looking for a part-time job!

• 8. Re: Building Computer for CS5 - Looking for suggestions
                        Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3

ECBowen wrote:

"The easy way around the hard to edit problem without serious hardware is buy Neo Scene and transcode the AVCHD to Cineform's codec which is not nearly so compressed and will upsample the color where it's able. Then you can edit the material on a laptop even if you want. The software costs $99 to $125 depending on where you get it. With the money you save on an AVCHD camera, you should be able to afford the software."

That's the ticket!!

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/