2 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2010 8:07 PM by wrennit

Reader 9.3.2 freezes upon opening downloaded .pdf doc; can't uninstall 9.3.2

wrennit

Adobe Reader 9.3.2 (Win XP) stops functioning (not responding under Task Manager) when I open a downloaded pdf file. Cannot uninstall 9.3.2 to reinstall. Adobe Reader Repair didn't fix the issue. File is set to open w/ Reader. Help!

• 1. Re: Reader 9.3.2 freezes upon opening downloaded .pdf doc; can't uninstall 9.3.2
          pwillener Level 8

How exactly you "cannot" uninstall Adobe Reader - do you get any error messages?

You can try to use the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility to remove a corrupt installation of Adobe Reader.

P.S. I have recently read that the above tool can cause problems when used in conjunction with Office 2007.

• 2. Re: Reader 9.3.2 freezes upon opening downloaded .pdf doc; can't uninstall 9.3.2
            wrennit Level 1

Hi!

Thank you for your response. The error message I got said that there was another program using Adobe Reader or Acrobat and I needed to close it before uninstalling. But there WASN'T another program open. I shut everything down (did not go thru my "processes running" list on my Task Manager, however...hmm, maybe that was the problem, it now occurs to me....)

I haven't tried the link you gave me yet, b/c I think the problem may be that I downloaded the pdf file using Firefox 3.6 & from what I understand, Firefox 3.6 has issues w/ Acrobat/Reader/pdf files. I WAS able - after trying many times - to open the file in my browser window. I may try to download the file again using IE 8, but it's not an important file and so this issue isn't high on my priority list at the moment! But thank you again for your response. If in the near future, I get a chance to tackle this again, I'll be sure to let you know the result.