12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2007 4:27 AM by mattinsurfers

Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop

jfalberg
      I am currently using the Trial Version of Adobe Photoshop and went to open a Fireworks PNG file, but it seems all the layers were combined as one flat file. Is it possible to export a Fireworks PNG file such that when I open it in Photoshop I can see all the layers? Especially for future editing purposes.
        • 1. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop
          Level 1
          When opening a PSD in Fireworks, verify the PSD was saved as 8bit/16bit, my bets are your PSD is set to 32bit which is currently not supported in Fw9. We'll fix this for Fw10!
          • 2. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
            Level 7
            jfalberg wrote:
            > I am currently using the Trial Version of Adobe Photoshop and went to open a
            > Fireworks PNG file, but it seems all the layers were combined as one flat file.
            > Is it possible to export a Fireworks PNG file such that when I open it in
            > Photoshop I can see all the layers? Especially for future editing purposes.
            >

FW PNG's are always flattened in PS. The key is to save the file as a
            PSD from within Fireworks, then open the PSD in Photoshop.

--
            Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
            Extending Knowledge, Daily
            http://www.communityMX.com/
            CommunityMX - Free Resources:
            http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
            ---
            .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
            news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver
            • 3. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop
              ageofem Level 1
              yeaps, i have tried saving psd files in fireworks and opening it in photoshop, and it works well ! Just note that if you use blend modes which are not available in photoshop, it might ruin the image, so stick with the ones that are available on both programs.
              • 4. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop
                mattinsurfers
                Ah ha!!! finally an answer.. I have searched and searched. The help in Illustrator and Photoshop and online help is helpless..

QUESTION: I have heaps and Heaps of PNG layered fireworks masterpieces, how do I MASS convert all to PSD and retain layers? script in fireworks right? hmm

does this signal an end to fireworks? why can you just open Fireworks Created PNG in Illustrator and see the layers? I will miss Fireworks
                • 5. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
                  Level 7

mattinsurfers wrote:
                  > Ah ha!!! finally an answer.. I have searched and searched. The help in
                  > Illustrator and Photoshop and online help is helpless..
                  >
                  > QUESTION: I have heaps and Heaps of PNG layered fireworks masterpieces, how do
                  > I MASS convert all to PSD and retain layers? script in fireworks right? hmm
                  >
                  > does this signal an end to fireworks? why can you just open Fireworks Created
                  > PNG in Illustrator and see the layers?

I will miss Fireworks
                  why! where's it going? what do you know that we don't?!
                  >
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
                    Level 7
                    dave prescott wrote:
                    >
                    > mattinsurfers wrote:
                    >> Ah ha!!! finally an answer.. I have searched and searched. The help in
                    >> Illustrator and Photoshop and online help is helpless..
                    >> QUESTION: I have heaps and Heaps of PNG layered fireworks
                    >> masterpieces, how do I MASS convert all to PSD and retain layers?
                    >> script in fireworks right? hmm
                    >> does this signal an end to fireworks? why can you just open Fireworks
                    >> Created PNG in Illustrator and see the layers?
                    >
                    > I will miss Fireworks
                    > why! where's it going? what do you know that we don't?!

Illustrator won't replace Fireworks, they are different products doing
                    different jobs.
                    • 7. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
                      Level 7
                      dave prescott wrote:

> why! where's it going? what do you know that we don't?!

It's not going anywhere. Pay no attention to rumor mongers.

--
                      Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                      --------------------------------------------------------------
                      http://www.projectseven.com
                      Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                      CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                      http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                      • 8. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
                        Level 7
                        Dooza wrote:

> Illustrator won't replace Fireworks, they are different products doing
                        > different jobs.

Exactly right!

--
                        Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                        http://www.projectseven.com
                        Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                        CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                        http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                        • 9. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to   Photoshop
                          Level 7
                          Linda Rathgeber wrote:
                          > dave prescott wrote:
                          >
                          >> why! where's it going? what do you know that we don't?!
                          >
                          > It's not going anywhere. Pay no attention to rumor mongers.
                          i know - i was being sarcastic :)
                          >
                          • 10. Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop
                            mattinsurfers Level 1
                            Can I ask you guys a question? what is the difference, Illustrator and fireworks? One thing I know, its faster to work in fireworks, create for instance banner in fireworks..slice up, export then fire up dreamweaver or Flash and DONE, verses photo shop, image ready, illustrator and back and forth and forth and back etc etc. I had the privilege in the late 1990s to talk with Sandy Cohen who was sitting next to me on a plane and sandy was actually on her way to adobe to disuse the switching between apps issue. What I do know, is fireworks is so fast and striaght foward. I as well as others said oh no when Adobe bought macromedia.. why? here is one reason.. adobe acrobat, adobe acrobat is sooooo bloated and over kill. come on give me a break, all it does is read pdfs yet its a HUGE download and installs a system slow down service in the back ground and constantly calls home when you open a pdf... and who knows what its reporting to adobe, doing a little harvesting are we adobe? no wonder everyone is switching over to foxit reader.
                            • 11. Re: Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to     Photoshop
                              Level 7
                              mattinsurfers wrote:
                              > Can I ask you guys a question? what is the difference, Illustrator and
                              > fireworks? One thing I know, its faster to work in fireworks, fireworks create
                              > the page, then fire up dreamweaver or Flash and DONE, verses photo shop, image
                              > ready, illustrator and back and forth etc etc. I had the privilege in the late
                              > 1990s to talk with Sandy Cohen who was sitting next to me on a plane and sandy
                              > was actually on her way to adobe to disuse the switching between apps issue.
                              > What I do know, is fireworks is so fast and striaght foward. I as well as
                              > others said oh no when Adobe bought macromedia.. why? here is one reason..
                              > adobe acrobat, adobe acrobat is sooooo bloated and over kill. come on give me a
                              > break, all it does is read pdfs yet its a HUGE download and installs a system
                              > slow down service in the back ground and constantly calls home when you open a
                              > pdf... and who knows what its reporting to adobe, doing a little harvesting are
                              > we adobe? no wonder everyone is switching over to foxit reader.
                              >

Fireworks is a web graphics application, Illustrator is a kinda desk top
                              publishing print ready application geared up for print work.

Steve
                              • 12. Exporting Fireworks PNG files with layers over to Photoshop
                                mattinsurfers Level 1
                                Thank you Steve!

Hey you guys see the article about adobe CS3 communication between your computer and behavioral analytics firm Omniture on LifeHacker on December 27th?

Your Privacy Is An Illusion
                                Wear tinfoil hats when using Adobe products
                                http://valleywag.com/338011/wear-tinfoil-hats-when-using-adobe-products