13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2011 5:33 PM by mohawkade

Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

Qurve Learning, LLC Level 1

When I launch Premiere Pro CS5 from the Windows start menu I receive a message "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has stopped working." The problem is occuring repeatedly and is preventing CS5 from launching.

I am running Windows 7 (64bit) on a Dell Vostro 420 with Core2 Quad 8200 / 2.33 GHz processor, 4GB RAM. I have a 256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 graphics card. I have no add-ons or plugins.

If I restart my computer, I am sometimes able to launch Premiere PRO CS5 successfully one time and work successfully importing and editing video. But once closed, if I try to re-poen Premiere Pro CS5, I once again receive the message"Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has stopped working"  and cannot launch successfully until the computer is restarted.

Hoping my experience may help Adobe with troubleshooting... any ideas?

Sara

• 1. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sara,

Are you running as an Administrator?

Is PrPro installed on your C:\ drive?

Do you have any networked drives in the mix?

When you have one of these crashes, and then open Event Viewer, do you have any error, or warning messages in the System, or Applications tabs?

Just some thoughts, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

Mr. Hunt,

Thank you for your quick respone.

My problem has gotten worse. I am no longer able to launch Premiere Pro ---- even after a computer restart. It fails during launch at the write_on.aex point.

I took your suggestion and tried running as an administrator. No change - still failed to launch at the same point.

In response to your other questions - All Adobe software is loaded on my C drive. I have a 1 Terabyte backup HD - used for backup purposes only. I disconnected the backup from the computer and tried again. No change - still failed ot launch at the same point.

I don't have much experience with diagnostics so I'm not sure exactly what to look for in the event viewer.... I've copied and pasted a few screens from the event viewer. If you have any insight/suggestions, I'd be very grateful for your help. Alternately, if there are different screens that are more informative, please let me know and I will copy and paste them.

Thanks,

Sara

EVENT VIEWER LOGS

General

Fault bucket 15897727, type 4

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

P2: 5.0.0.0

P3: 4bb568b7

P4: ScriptLayerPPro.dll

P5: 0.0.0.0

P6: 4bb56817

P7: c0000005

P8: 000000000008fa0f

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Users\Sara Carpenter\AppData\Local\Temp\WER425.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Adobe Premiere P_c08e7a64f3c663d484e8f8933739ec98705b9027_15cd27fa

Analysis symbol:

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 910aa1fb-5b03-11df-920f-00219b29e7c4

Report Status: 0

Details

General

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 5.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bb568b7

Faulting module name: ScriptLayerPPro.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4bb56817

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000008fa0f

Faulting process id: 0x165c

Faulting application start time: 0x01caef104f11af3b

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\ScriptLayerPPro.dll

Report Id: 910aa1fb-5b03-11df-920f-00219b29e7c4

Detail

Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
            4bb568b7
            ScriptLayerPPro.dll
            4bb56817
            c0000005
            000000000008fa0f
            165c
            01caef104f11af3b
            C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
            C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\ScriptLayerPPro.dll
            910aa1fb-5b03-11df-920f-00219b29e7c4

APPCRASH
            Not available
            Adobe Premiere Pro.exe
            4bb568b7
            ScriptLayerPPro.dll
            4bb56817
            c0000005
            000000000008fa0f
            C:\Users\Sara Carpenter\AppData\Local\Temp\WER425.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
            C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Adobe Premiere P_c08e7a64f3c663d484e8f8933739ec98705b9027_15cd27fa
            910aa1fb-5b03-11df-920f-00219b29e7c4

• 3. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

... as followup...

I've now un-installed and re-installed CS5 upgrade. Still can't launch Premiere Pro.

Is there any chance this is related to the fact that I purchased a CS5 upgrade (vs. CS5 new)? I had been running CS4 on Windows XP. In order to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional, I had to do a "clean install" wiping out all existing programs from my C drive.

When Windows 7 Professional was loaded, I then installed the CS5 upgrade from CD's.

Also - is Windows 7 Professional sufficient (vs. ultimate)?

I would be most grateful for any assistance anyone can provide. No IT department... it's just me.  :-(

Sara

• 4. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
                Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

I don't know what to make of this one

Can you look to see if there's any crash logs in the location referenced by the event viewer, ie:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Adobe Premiere P_c08e7a64f3c663d484e8f8933739ec98705b9027_15cd27fa\

Could you zip up whatever's in that location & post it somewhere?  I'm not sure if it'll contain anything useful, but it's worth a shot...

The other thing that you could try is to manually delete your 'Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs' file, which should be located at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Pro\5.0\

(By the way, no difference as far as the Adobe apps go between W7 Professional & Ultimate.)

• 5. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

Thanks for responding.

I did try deleting the preference file... no luck. Premiere Pro still fails to launch at write_on.aex.

I was able to locate the archived event viewer log... but it's a .wer file and I'm not sure how to open/read. Is there something I need to do to open/read the file?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge - but how would I post the WER file to the forum?   Alternately, I can post to my box.net file... but would need to have an email address to forward the link to...

Thanks for your input and ideas!

I'm hoping there's a solution.  I've spent 5 (very LONGGG) days backing up my files, installing Windows 7, reinstalling programs and troubleshooting the various issues associated with the transition to Windows 7... all so I could run CS5. And now I can't get past he launch screen for Premiere Pro.

arghhhh.....

Sara

• 6. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

Ok... some additional information...

I tried to launching Premiere Pro CS5 a few more times (as administrator).... I deleted the preference file again... and, drum roll please, Premiere launched! I thought the problem was solved but when I closed Premiere Pro CS5 and tried to relaunch again, it failed to launch (again, write_on.aex).

I played around some more, deleted the newly created preference file and it still failed to launch. This time I couldn't find any preference file in the folder, so I retrieved an old preference file from the recycle bin and ... low and behold... it launched (as administrator).

I'm keeping the Premiere Pro open (but need to get some sleep... it's 1:15 am)...

I'm hoping these latest events will shed some light on what is going on. Is there anything I can do while Premiere Pro is open that might ensure a successful launch the next time?

Sara

• 7. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Sara,

Here is an older ARTICLE (PrPro 2.), on similar behavior.

Here is a more recent ARTICLE. Be sure to see Wil's Reply #10. Note: might be the same as his Reply #4 here, but worth checking.

I could swear that there was an Adobe KB Article on this, but cannot find it now.

Good luck, and hope that something helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

So... I tried to keep Premiere Pro open. I began working on footage when it crashed. The "Windows Compatibility Assistant" message box appeared stating that "... Windows has aspplied compatibility settings to this program..."

When I attempted to relaunch Premiere Pro, it failed to launch. I've tried numerous times to relaunch, have tried deleting the preferences files - all to no avail.

I did find a plug-in loading log. In the interest of space, I have only excerpted the final lines of the most recent plugin loading log. I'm assuming it stopped logging when the launch was aborted.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\Common\Twirl.aex
                        Loading from the registry...
                        The plugin has a PiPL.
                        The plugin was successfully loaded from the registry.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\Common\Unsharp_Mask.aex
                        The plugin has a PiPL.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\Common\Venetian_Blinds.aex
                        The plugin has a PiPL.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\Common\Wave_Warp.aex
                        The plugin has a PiPL.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5\Plug-ins\Common\Write_on.aex
                        The plugin has a PiPL.

Loading from root path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5\MediaCore
                        Scanning for the following file types: *.prmp, *.prm, *.dll, *.aex, *.8bf

Scanning C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5\MediaCore and sub-directories

Does this provide any assistance in troubleshooting the problem?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide. I'm dead in the water at the moment.  Not quite what I had in mind for Mother's Day.  ;-(

Sara

• 9. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
                          Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

The plugin loading log looks fine - Scriptlayer is a core library anyway.  I think you're running into a problem with some of the Adobe Services code that's spinning up after launch.  I don't know why it's crashing though.  I'll check tomorrow with some folks if there's anything that can be done to bypass it.

• 10. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

Wil - Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Please let me know if remote access to my computer would help with troubleshooting.

Sara

• 11. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working

I have good news to report!

Yesterday, after a discussion with Eric Bowen regarding the possibility of corrupt drivers, I decided to do a clean re-install of Windows 7 and to reinstall Production Premium CS5.  Everything started working again! No crashes. No errors messages.

Also - at Eric's recommendation, I did NOT re-install the McAffee security software but instead installed the Windows Security Essentials software. Apparently McAffee software has compatibility issues with Adobe software and may have contributed to the issues.

As of this morning, everything is running swell! Yes... my current system is grossly under-spec'd and rendering is very time consuming, but I can live with that until I get a new system.

Hoping this may help if others find themselves in a similar situation.

Sara

• 12. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sara,

That is good news, and thank you for reporting. It's been a very long time, since I tried McAfee, but it was such a rogue program in those days, that I swore it would never get near another of my computers. Many like it, and use it with no issues, but I usually make the little "anti-vampire" sign, when someone suggests it to me.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Error Message at Launch: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 has Stopped Working
                                  mohawkade

Just had the same problem and found this fourm and it got me thinking that if a clean install of Win7 and Adobe fixed your problems, then something vital was deleted or missing from the registry.

So I checked TuneUp Utilities and restored the last backup in Undo Changes, and Premiere Pro worked again. I'm going to be weary about what I clean in my registry from now on.