2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 12:24 PM by Steve Grisetti

PE8 and New Panasonic HDC-TM700

steveskipwith

Greetings All,

I'm a first time poster (but long time reader), and my apologies if this has been previously discussed, but haven't seen this issue addressed here yet.

I've been drooling over purchasing this new hi-def camcorder for quite some time and came within a hair of purchasing it. However, my major concern is  the format the product uses. I quote below from the Camcorder Info web site:

However, when you shoot with the HDC-TM700's native 1080/60p setting, the camcorder uses a proprietary MPEG-4 codec that isn't really compatible with anything other than Panasonic's provided software. Yes, the video shot with the 1080/60p setting looks stunning when you play it back on an HDTV, but the only way you can really do this is by playing back the footage directly from the camcorder. We couldn't find any third party software that would import or recognize the 1080/60p clips shot with the HDC-TM700, although we expect this to change if 1080/60p recording becomes more prevalent in the future.

This is a definite deal breaker for me.

Now the confusing part - the list of PE8's supported devices includes the Panasonic HS300, and the TM700 is the latest and greatest iteration of this product. Is the supported device list outdated? Can I purchase the TM700 and be fully coinfident it will work with Premiere Elements 8?

I've been using Premiere Elements for years, beginning with its first version. I would hate to switch over to something unfamiliar, but probably would if the cost were reasonable.

Many thanks for any input or sage wisdom.

Sincerely,

Steve

• 1. Re: PE8 and New Panasonic HDC-TM700
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Welcome to the forum.

That "proprietary MPEG-4 CODEC" would trouble me greatly. Too many camera mfgrs. are doing this, and it makes editing in any NLE (Non Linear Editor) difficult, if not impossible.

Now, if the Panny comes with that CODEC on a utility disc, AND that CODEC can work in an NLE, things would be much better. That would be worth checking into.

This ARTICLE on CODEC's will give you a little background, though not specific to this camera.

Good luck, and I wish that I knew something helpful about the camera, but I do not. I would suggest that you also post this question to the Muvipix Community (forum), as a user there might know it and use it.

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE8 and New Panasonic HDC-TM700
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Like the similar Flip camcorder, these camcorders do use a codec that can challenge most video editors (except the ones that are often included with the camcorder).

I highly recommend you convert that video for a more standard format and codec before you bring it into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437535?tstart=0