6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2010 8:20 AM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Getting "Help is not available..."

TheWuzziWizz

Whenever I try to access the dynamic help from inside Flash Builder, I get a dialog saying "Help is not available at this time" and "Verify that you are connected to the internet then try again". I am connected to the internet. The Adobe Community Help application is installed. I've even instralled the latest one from Labs (with the built-in "find" function). I've doewnloaded help locally for Flex. I can access this help from within the Adobe Help application. But I can not access it from within Flash Builder 4. Attempting to do so shows the above error message. I sustpect a prefs file being out of whack, since the error message is totally bogus.

Any suggestion appreciated.

-JM

• 1. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
          Mark Nichoson Adobe Employee

Hi there:  we released an update to the Help app on April 30 (that replaces the previous Labs version) and I would recommend that you try following:

1. Uninstall the previous version of Adobe Help
            Windows:  use the Add or remove Programs utitlity
            Macintosh: Remove and trash the application from the Applications > Adobe folder
          2. Delete the following directory: 
            Windows: %appdata%/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1  
            (copy and paste the phrase above into the Windows Explorer file manager)
            Macintosh: USER NAME (home) > Library > Preferences > chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8CE.1
          3. IMPORTANT: Empty the Trash or Recycling Bin to ensure proper removal of all files
          4. Manually update the application at: http://www.adobe.com/support/chc/

WARNING:  Removing the chc.xxxx folder indicated above will also delete any previously downloaded content.  I apologize for the inconvenience -- you could click into the folder and then set aside the downloaded help content and manually move it back after the update process is complete -- or you could download updated, newer versions of the content if you prefer.

• 2. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
            TheWuzziWizz Level 1

Nope, didn't help. Got exactly the same error message. Note that the Adobe Help application works OK in all other CS5 applications (including Flash Professional). It's only its link to FB that somehow seems broken. It doesn't even attempt to launch it. If I select Dynamic Help on the Help menu then click an identifier, it appears in the Dynamic Help pane, as shown here:

Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 08.45.23.png

However, when I click the API in the Help pane, I get this error message:

Screen shot 2010-05-12 at 08.45.36.png

With the bogus error message (the computer can browse the Internet, send email, etc).

So the qwuestion remains, how can I get AS3 help working again from within FB?

-JM

• 3. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
              TheWuzziWizz Level 1

Never mind, solved it by uninstalling and re-installing FB4. Works OK now.

I suspect something got damaged by my futile attempts to install FB plugin for Eclipse. As I often run Eclipse on my machine, I would prefer to use the plugin version. However, I've not been able to find the FB Plugin installer on the CS5 Web Premium installation DVD. Perhaps someone know where to find the plug-in installer. Note that I can't download the plugin "demo" version off the web and install that, as that gives the Pro version of FB4, which won't play with the serial form CS5, as that includes Std version only.

• 4. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
                nishadmusthafa Level 2

Try this page and select English Plug-in. Tell me if the key works succesfully or not.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=flash_builder

Nishad

• 5. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
                  TheWuzziWizz Level 1

That was the one I tried to install. However, it didn't take my serial from CS5 Web Premium, since that product includes DB4Std only, and this download is for DB4Premium. I suspect this install/uninstall attempt is what damaged the Help function of my standalone FB4Std instal, so I'm reluctant to repeat the excercise.

So what I really need is the Eclipse plugin installer for FB4Std. Please provide a link to this, since I can't find it in the CS5 Web Premium download (or let me know where it is if it's hidden in there somewhere). It's implied in the docs for CS5 Web Premium that the plugin version is indeed available, but it doesn't indicate where it can be found.

-JM

• 6. Re: Getting "Help is not available..."
                    C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3

Hi,

There are no separate installers for FB4 Plug-in Premium versus Standard - there's a single installer that covers them both. After it's installed, the Premium features will be enabled if you enter an FB4 Premium SN (or if you're still in Trial mode). However, if you enter a Web Premium Suite SN (or even a Master Collection SN), then FB4 Plug-in will run in Standard mode - all of the Suite SNs are for FB4 Standard, sorry to say.

-Chris