18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2010 12:07 PM by BobLevine

Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!

dv8kiwi Level 1

Adobe knows about this problem and is refusing to address it. It may seem small but it creates immense frustration and double-handling issues in productive environments.

Is Adobe just showing a totally arrogant stance toward its loyal users by ignoring their pain, or are they deliberately holding them to ransom to force more upgrades to CS5?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478327

Please petition Adobe on this issue.

Adobe: fix this problem!!!

• 1. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Did you read Nadia's post?  It was a problem that was was introduced as part of Vista SP2 and Windows 7.  It was not something Adobe did to their program and affects all versions of Dreamweaver.  Petition Microsoft.

And here is another post about the same issue stating it was introduced by Microsoft, not Adobe.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2183285

• 2. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
            John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So why is it fixed in CS5 but not CS4 on the same machine?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
              Stephen Cox Level 1

I was just gonna say.. on Mac CS4 had an issue with selecting local root folders too. But it works fine in CS5.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                dv8kiwi Level 1

REALITY CHECK: OSes get upgraded. Responsible software companies will offer a compatibility patch if they can. It doesn't seem like there's a helluva lot to fix for compatibility here. So Adobe appears to be wilfully neglecting the issue. Saying MS is responsible is a woefully cheap shot!

• 5. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Rule 1 in troubleshooting is to find our what changed. In this case it was the operating system. When Vista and XP SP3 were introduced, they broke the ability for InDesign CS2 and earlier to open Pagemaker files.

Adobe can't fix Windows or OSX and working around a change in an operating system can be dangerous business, breaking other features. With CS5 Adobe had plenty of time to test from the ground up and worked around it.

The workaround is simple, create a dummy a folder and navigate to that...or upgrade. CS4 and earlier applications will never see another update now that CS5 is out.

Bob

• 6. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                    dv8kiwi Level 1

This problem is coming up to a year old, surely Adobe could have put a team on it and fixed it, and ironed out any other problems, if they could be bothered to look after their customers. But hey, they got Microsoft as a scapegoat and a new release in the works. For my money I don't trust Adobe now. Why should I invest in an upgrade when the next Windows update might break it and I know Adobe won't be interested in working around it until their next big upgrade in 2 years. And as Stephen Cox reports above similar issue with Mac OS, same attitude.

• 7. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                      Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Well I can confirm that I had Dreamweaver CS4 running on Snow Leopard since 10.6.0 with no issues like that whatsoever.  It was a clean SL install on a new MBP.  I believe other users here said the same thing.  There were other minor CS4 issues with the Mac OS.  But ironically they were solved by Apple patches 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.  If only Microsoft cared as much about their professional design customers as Apple did.  But Microsoft is worried about being the cost leader with their "I'm a PC" campaign saying I'll buy Windows over a Mac because it's cheaper.  Now you can drag Windows to each side in their commercial and it takes up half the screen.  One improvement in Windows 7.  That's all people want.  If Microsoft did to Windows what Mac did to its OS from 9 to X, people would panic having to run virtual machines.

• 8. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                        dv8kiwi Level 1

Yes maybe MS could be more focussed if it had a niche market... but this thread is about an Adobe customer service issue and I don't see any value in it becoming an OS religious argument.

• 9. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                          Stephen Cox Level 1

Lets not start a flame war over OS's.

And this was a problem with CS4 on Leopard. I might had gotten fixed, but I stopped using DW at that time. Now it has features I actually want to use, so here I am.

It's performing well on Snow Leopard, so far.

My question about the Windows issue; why aren't other apps having the same  issues? Obviously, those other apps worked around it.

Also WIndows 7 is here to stay. For a while. So it's in Adobe's best interests to fix it.

• 10. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!

No they didn't. They were never affected by it.

Every application works differently and accesses different parts of the O/S.

Bob

• 11. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                              Stephen Cox Level 1

You are telling me that out of like 25,000+ apps for WIndows DW is the ONLY one having this issue? Then by definition it's not a MS problem. I mean com'on - selecting a directory is such an issue? That's absurd. If Adobe is doing something so obscure [in the OS], then that needs to change.

And it appears it did change.. in CS5. Now if they don' want to fix older versions that's another issue.

• 12. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                                ALsp Level 4

I can't believe Microsoft-bashing is still so much a part of this business. Yes it's a bug and any person of even modest intelligence should be able to understand that if the issue was fixed in CS5 that it is simply Adobe's choice not to have issued a public update for CS4.

A "Community Professional" or whatever they are called, should be well enough versed in the product to know fully well that Dreamweaver CS5 is most certainly nit a "ground up" upgrade by any stretch of the imagination. That said, I have been around Dreamweaver since version 1.0 and the phenomenon of not fixing bugs and updating existing versions is a recent phenomenon. I might also add that this bug affects some of our products and one of Adobe's Dreamweaver engineers was kind enough to make a fix available for our customers. It fixes exactly what we asked to be asked, which is the folder select dialog that we use for our image-handling extensions. It does not affect the folder select dialog for the Site Manager.

Adobe is within its rights to fix the bugs that fit within their development scope and budget. To expect more is nice - but perhaps an actual Adobe employee can jump into this thread as they have in recent others and offer their side of the story.

Al Sparber - PVII
                                http://www.projectseven.com
                                Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets
                                Making Dreamweaver Magic since 1998

• 13. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!

I most certainly didn't mean the app was built from the ground up, Al.

I only meant that with all the other changes that were being instituted it was safe to work around whatever happened to fix this.

And FWIW, I too find the Microsoft bashing ridiculous, especially in light Apple's recent behavior.

Bob

• 14. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                                    dv8kiwi Level 1

Thanks Al for your calm voice of reason once again.

I would like to fix the image browsing issue you talked of. Did Adobe just provide a fix for your plugins or is there a fix out there for this (also infuriating) issue, which we can apply to Dreamweaver?

I've noticed no Adobe response, and I'm not surprised. I know they don't watch these forums, even though I would have thought it would be a no-brainer if they were actually interested in what their customers think. This problem of course goes deeper than the Site Manager folder select issue - I've encountered all sorts of Windows-folder-browsing issues which makes the usability and function of what was once an outstanding app on XP nothing short of appalling on Win 7. I'm even considering completely jumping ship and starting to learn Expression over this. Adobe just doesn't care! No way will I update to CS5!

It seems like there is a root cause to all of these which Adobe could fix if they could only be bothered.

• 15. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                                      kwdken

I have had similar problems, and the site set up issue is something that is easy enough to work around, but appalling that is not fixed.  BUT, try to build a slideshow in Fireworks CS4.... when you try to browse to a folder of images, it will NOT select a folder, it will NOT show the images so you can go a folder deeper, and it will NOT allow you to type in the path directly.   In other words, the entire feature is BROKEN.

I have also experienced the css style sheet linking problem... and that is really annoying.... it screws up the project seven extensions, it screws up extensions from DMXZone.....

For the price of this software, it should be PERFECT.... I have bought $39 software with support that is 1000 times better than this big greedy company....   Expression Web is sitting on my desk and will be installed tomorrow.

My whole team is going to bail out on this fiasco.... OH, and from all reports, Expression Web can properly render pages in Design view... why can't Adobe even get THAT right after all these years?

I am really disgusted....when the answer is to spend another $1000+ to UPGRADE to new version which will just have DIFFERENT bugs that will apparently never be fixed either.... what a way to run a company...

• 16. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!

Having worked around this in CS3 and CS4 for quite some time, I can certainly agree with the frustration of first trying to figure out what happened and then working around it.

But if you're in search of the perfect software all I can say is GOOD LUCK. Because you're about to embark on the most frustrating journey of your life.

And yeah, I'd love a better rendering rendering engine in DW. It's at the top of my wish list right now.

Bob

• 17. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!
                                          kwdken Level 1

thanks for those replies.  I still think it is just totally ridiculous to say it is all microsofts fault.  Guess what, this is the version of CS4 that is supposed to RUN ON WINDOWS.... not some OLD version of Windows....  The OS that people actually use....   Funny that NONE of the other software I use has a problem like this.... so whose fault is it?  Who cares?  MY F-n DW and FW DON"T WORK RIGHT....  They are the MOST EXPENSIVE SOFTWARE any of us ever buy, and it is the most poorly supported with the highest upgrade costs.....

Maybe we need to start voting by NOT using adobe software.... ??

• 18. Re: Adobe: fix problem selecting local root folder in Vista & Windows 7!

Maybe we need to start voting by NOT using adobe software.... ??

You first!

I use Adobe software, not because it's perfect, but because it's the best choice for me.

You're free to make another choice. There's plenty of other software choices out there.

Bob