Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

joe bloe premiere Level 5

1. Does CS5 gain any advantage by having
      QT Pro installed on Win7 64 system?

2. Are there any codecs included with QT Pro
      that are helpful and/or essential for playback
      of various AME encoded QT formats?

3. What is the most flexible and least intrusive
      multi-format media player that can coexist with CS5?

4. What are the potential pitfalls with k-lite and MP classic?

I have avoided Windows Media Player in XP for years,
      and have relied (with PPro2) on k-lite/media player classic,
      VLC player, and the free QT player to cover all playbacks.
      I know there are recommendations on this forum to avoid
      k-lite codecs at all cost, but I have never experienced any
      concerns, problems or conflicts while using PPro2 or CS4 (yet).

My objective is to build a lean and uncluttered OS platform
      for CS5, but I obviously want to be able to play back all
      different format files that can be encoded in AME...
      ideally with a single player (if possible).

thanks

• 1. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. No.

2. dunno.

3. VLC or MPC.

4. K-Lite only requires a complete fresh install of OS & programs. MPC is a great player without downsides.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

Since I am doing a complete fresh install of OS & programs,

are you saying there is no disadvantage to installing k-lite codec pack?

Do you use QT Pro?

• 3. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Do NOT install K-Lite, under any circumstances. It is essentially a virus. Period.

There is no need for QT Pro. All QT Pro gives you are some "editing" capabilities from QT Pro itself, not from any other application. You gain no additional codecs or capabilities by subsidizing Vice Lord Jobs. If you need some of the capabilities of QT Pro (and I will admit, there are some nice usable features depending on your needs), I suggest downloading MPEG Streamclip instead. It comes without all of the bloat of QT Pro, is free, and actually does more useful things that QT Pro does. You do need QT Player installed to use it; be sure to use the latest version of 7.6.6 as it finally corrects an issue whereby QT player controls were not visible in a 64-bit version of Windows.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

Thanks for the clarification on QT Pro.

Do NOT install K-Lite, under any circumstances. It is essentially a virus. Period.

Could you elaborate?

I have k-lite installed and running on three other editing systems...

two with CS4 (1 XP & 1 Win7 64) and one with PPro2 (XP) ,

and I have never experienced any problems.

thanks

• 5. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What Colin said.

The one advantage of QT Pro (aside from the minor "cutting" capabilities mentioned) is the Export from it to other formats. It functions, basically, as a conversion program for MOV/MP4 type Assets. This (and the better Properties function) is what I use it for.

I am anal about CODEC's. I ONLY get the ones that I need, when I need them, and then try to go to the "source." There are some free source CODEC's, and these are not bad, like Lagarith Lossless, but I'd rather pay $ to the developer, than use a hacked, reverse-engineered freeware version. I have found that most of those are just not up to snuff. One perfect example is DivX/Xvid. Xvid is the open-source version of DivX. I have never, never been able to Export to Xvid from any program - crash! DivX works fine from all NLE's, and every program will Export to that delivery-only format just fine. Just one example, but one of very many. Also, most of the CODEC's included in K-Lite are almost as old, as I am, and are of little use today. They just take up space on the HDD and in the Registry. Better to not bother. There are elements of K-Lite that WILL mess things up. The only good element, IMO, is G-Spot, but IIRC, it's a very old version and newer, better versions are available for free.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

Thanks for your input Bill.

They just take up space on the HDD and in the Registry. Better to not bother.

So, i gather there is no imperative need to remove k-lite from three existing editing systems...

(no security issues, etc.), only to avoid including on new system build for CS5.

thanks

• 7. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are not experiencing problems, then I'd guess that they are safe.

The two biggest issues are an element, FFDShow, that installs and really, really messes up Adobe programs. This is also really tough to remove, hence Harm's comment. Next, it often overwrites, or otherwise alters perfectly good CODEC installations. If you are not encountering issues, you can likely just keep 'em. Do check to see if FFDShow was installed, and keep a very close eye on that, as it causes myriad problems.

Beyond those issues, then bloat might be the worst of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one of the trusted contributors on the PrElements forum, and a noted author on that program, is a big fan of K-Lite. It could well be that PrE is not as sensitive as PrPro, or AE, and that he's just never encountered the issues that have been outlined here. FWIW.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added PS

• 8. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

On all three system builds I have installed k-lite with FFDShow

before installing any Adobe products, so overwrite has not been an issue.

And FFDShow has not created any conflicts that are apparrent.

Current k-lite pack includes GSpot v2.70a which AFAIK is up to date.

I am not trying to be an advocate for k-lite, I only want to understand

the strenuous opposition I have read throughout this forum to what

seems to be a useful tool.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I am not trying to be an advocate for k-lite, I only want to understand

the strenuous opposition I have read throughout this forum to what

seems to be a useful tool.

...because it's a haphazard mish-mash of codecs primarily used for playing back downloaded (read: pirated) movies and TV shows. If you're using Premiere Pro for professional editing purposes, then you have no need for ANY of the codecs included in K-lite--everything you need comes with Premiere, and is guaranteed to work correctly, as well.

I guess it's up to you to decide if you have a legitimate use for these codecs, but I'd be curious to hear why you find it necessary to install this ticking time bomb.

I realize I might sound antagonistic here, but time and time again, installing these "convenient" codec packs turns into a quick way to break an otherwise perfectly functioning system, all in the name of "wow, I'll be able to playback 700 useless esoteric formats." I don't think I'm alone in this opinion...

• 10. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            I don't think I'm alone in this opinion...

Definitely not! I wholeheartedly agree.

• 11. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

It does look like G-Spot is now up to date. For some time, it was quite old, maybe 4 versions back.

The opposition comes from myriad problems that users have encountered. For some, K-Lite has been a real problem, especially the FFDShow module. Some, however, never have any issues. I just hope that you are in that latter group and that all goes well.

As for the overwriting, it's not K-Lite overwriting its files/CODEC's, but other installed CODEC's. In some cases, overwriting has not taken place (Adobe "hides" its CODEC's pretty well), but a changing of the priority of CODEC's in the Registry, effectively "replacing" the good, commercial CODEC's with the versions in K-Lite. If a program does not have a direct call for a particular CODEC, then the priority of CODEC's for the same file type, will direct the program which one to use. There are utilities and manual hacks to change these priority settings, where one has different versions of certain CODEC's, say the DV-MPEG-2 CODEC.

Good luck, and hope that all goes well for you. Just keep this in the back of your mind, should things start acting up. This would be the first thing that I would look into, i.e the most likely of the "usual suspects."

Hunt

• 12. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

The only minor clarification that I would make to your statements would be the need for certain CODEC's (when you do need them), that are not native to PrPro. One example would be the DivX. I need it for my conversion program, so that if I get handed that stuff and cannot convince the client that it's delivery-only and not really editable, I can at least get a DV-AVI (quality loss is definitely there), plus it is a viable Export CODEC for streaming delivery. There are some others too. However, I would not install K-Lite (or any other "packs"), to get the CODEC's that I need, when I need them. To date, all are available from the source, like Lagarith, etc.

While K-Lite is one of the more benign ones, some "packs" have been found to install all sorts of "nasties," on one's machine. I mean who needs key-loggers and backdoor Trojans? Nefarious individuals know the lure of a box of "free stuff," and find many willing "participants."

For me, the term "CODEC pack" goes on the shelf with "torrent."

Hunt

• 13. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

I am a professional with 30 years of post experience.

After 24 years of working in post houses, I have been freelancing

professionally using Premiere for six years. I have three kids, a wife,

a big house with a swimming pool, and I am the only income source.

Sometimes I get crappy source material from clients,

but it is my job to make it work. Period.

If that includes using a haphazard mish-mash of codecs

and SUPER © to convert crap into something Premiere can use...

even if it is still crap, that is my job.

Again I'm not an advocate for k-lite, I just have not found that

if configured correctly it has not been a "ticking time bomb."...

at least it hasn't exploded for six years and four system builds.

But, thanks for your input!

I appreciate you clarifying your opposition.

• 14. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Fortunately for most of us, the "opposition" comes from years on this forum, trying to help the poor users, for whom K-Lite (or some part of it), has created an issue. That goes double for most other CODEC "packs." Might be interesting reading to Search for "K-Lite" on this forum and read of some of those problems. Because of those problems, the majority here are a bit "shy," and do not wish to run the risk of exposing ourselves to some of the stated problems.

Like you, I get handed all sorts of "stuff," and also must make it work. First step is to try to talk the client into going back before the WMV, DVD, DivX, etc., but that is often not possible, or meets with heavy resistance (though that often fades, when the resultant quality is displayed . The "impossible" has become the "possible," in several instances).

Some of this "stuff" is odd, to say the least with some obscure, and often arcane CODEC's, but you are correct - at the end of the day, we both have to just make it work. That is where G-Spot (or similar utility), Google and maybe $25-35 on my AMEX card comes in handy. As an example, I have 339 CODEC's on my workstation, and 223 on my laptop (mostly the same ones as on the workstation with few differences). If one works with self-generated footage, they might have 150 (Audio & Video) at the most, and never need the rest. For some of us, it's not quite so cut-n-dried, nor so easy.

I just take the tack of getting only what I need, when I need it, and then passing on the cost to that client. Fortunately, most are not THAT expensive, and some ARE free. Now, the next time that client has similar, there's no charge, and the same for the next guy through the door, as I already have the XYZ CODEC now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64

Thanks to all for their frank opinions.

• 16. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                        shooternz Level 6

I will go against the flow here Joe.

I  have Quicktime Pro (7.6.6)  installed because my workflow involves MAC  as well. eg. I master TV commercials via FCP and AJA/Kona hardware and I also transfer files to AEFX and Flame/Smoke artists who are MAC based.

I occasionally  have need to use it standalone for various tasks.

There is no harm to CS5  in having it installed and from what you tell us about your work...you should have it in your toolbox.

• 17. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Craig,

I thought that I had come out for QT Pro, and listed its virtues. Did I not, or was I just not clear?

I, as you, must deal with Mac material, though all of mine is SD. I use QT Pro quite often, and other than the 7.4.x and some 7.6.x versions just flat hating Adobe (maybe signs that Steve Jobs started his anti-Adobe philosophy well before the Flash incident?), I have it on all machines (7.5.5). Besides, I need it for SmartSound.

Sorry if I seemed to be negative.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, some here do not like QT (Pro or Player), but maybe that was because they were "bitten." From the lyrics of The Snake, "you knew damed well that I was an Apple product, er-r, I mean snake, when you took me in... "

I cannot argue their feelings, but for me, it's an OK program. The biggest issues that I have ever had, other than those mentioned updates, was its old habits of setting its Auto-update to Automatic, and wanting to seize every possible still and AV Asset File Type. Both of those issues have been reeled in, with later offerings.

Hunt

• 19. Re: Quicktime Pro or no - CS5 - Win7 64
                                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I also rely on QT Pro from time-to-time.  Just another tool in the toolkit.

-Jeff