4 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2010 12:06 PM by John T Smith

Budget External Microphone

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My new Canon Vixia HFS100 has built-in stereo microphones... which are just barely OK (or, I need to tell people to "speak up" when I'm filming)

Looking around for something I can afford (my budget is limp and wounded at this point) I found

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664439-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6250_ATR6250_Stereo_Con denser_Video_Recording.html

Is Audio Technica a good brand?  Is that a good, budget model?

• 1. Re: Budget External Microphone
          Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

You get what you pay for and at that price, one can only expect garbage.

These are absolute top, but a bit out of your range: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=15472&N=4291060212+4291236046+4291228163+429131792 4

However, even though much more expensive than your original idea, this might be a good mic for a small camera: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=tiny+mic&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

• 2. Re: Budget External Microphone

Grin... your first link leads to stuff that is the same (maybe even a bit more) than I paid for computer AND camcorder

The 2nd link is half as much as the camcorder... still way beyond my budget

• 3. Re: Budget External Microphone
              Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

I realize all that extra stuff you need for a new camera will cost. But keep in mind that things like a tripod and extra mics can be used for years beyond the life of a camera.

If you buy a $ 1,000 camera, it may seem extravagant to buy a $ 1,500 tripod with head, a $ 1,700 wireless lav and a $ 800 condenser mic for voice overs and the necessary miscellaneous stuff, like mic stand, pop filter, matte box, and a $ 3,000 lighting kit etc. but keep in mind that if properly used and maintained, these items will last a life time.

If you buy a camera for let's say $ 5.000, calculate at least double that amount for the extra stuff you will need. People often forget that. For small cameras, the ratio is even more worrisome: A $ 1,000 camera may still require a fivefold investment in the extra stuff.

• 4. Re: Budget External Microphone

All valid points... but this is a hobby for home video, not something that I ever see I will do for money

For my use, I just can't justify spending even $100 on an external microphone... when I've already built a new computer and bought a Vixia and still have CS5 to buy (May 20, according to the latest note on the University affiliated site I use)

I'm go to do some more searching, and review reading (after I go buy a bag of ready mix to put a pole at the end of the driveway) to see what people say about that company and model of microphone

Thanks for the ideas... just not even close to what I can afford