33 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 8:06 AM by mambo88

CS5 certified nVidia Quadro's - but what about the GeForce GTX 285 ?

mambo88 Level 1

Hello everybody,

I'm currently looking to buy a new PC for using Adobe CS5.

Off course i want MPE support, so i checked [url="http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/builtforadobepros_uk.html"]the nVidia[/url] and [url="http://forums.adobe.com/thread/609054"]this topic[/url] and they state 3 Quadro models, and the GeForce GTX 285.

But the nVidia site also states this:

[quote="nVidia"]NVIDIA QUADRO. BUILT FOR PROFESSIONALS

Quadro BadgeCreate with confidence using NVIDIA Quadro.
      Meet the tightest deadlines and most stringent budgets using Quadro graphics solutions, built for professionals. Quadro GPUs offer faster performance with superior image quality and provide a fully integrated and optimized workflow across the spectrum of Adobe Creative Suite 5 applications.
      Exclusive Quadro Features
      > Easily integrate project files from After Effects and Photoshop into Premiere Pro and edit
              in real-time, even while applying more than three layers.
      > Double your performance when previewing RED 4K footage and experience up to 20 times
              faster playback with HDV videos – enabling fast iterations for real-time editing decisions.*
      > Work with extremely large video files in Premiere Pro, such as 2K, 4K or RED footage; and
              apply complex, multi-layered effects in After Effects by using the large graphics memory
              in Quadro high-end solutions.
      > Easily span across multiple ultra-high resolution displays, including SDI monitors and
              projectors, with Quadro solutions.**
      > Designed by NVIDIA, built by NVIDIA, and directly supported by NVIDIA and an extended
              three year warranty.

[/quote]

Now that is clearly about the Quadro product line, so this may be a fairly stupid question:

Do i miss out on these funktionalities if i go for the GeForce GTX 285 ?

Like i sayd, maybe a stupid question but there is a little more to it than that:

The [url="http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/"]CS5 system requirement page[/url] states, i quote:

[quote="Adobe"]

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

• Quadro CX (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
      • Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
      • Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
      • GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)[/quote]

So is it maybe, just maybe possible that the Quadro's where "orginaly designed" to work work with CS5, then they wrote the texts (that is not the only text about Quadro's instead of "CS5 certified graphic cards") about "Quadro's" and later they tested the GTX 285 which also supported it, and then listed it as well and forgot that all the texts where about Quadro's and not about CS5 certified graphic cards.

(^or well, something like that, you people get what i mean right )

Well i guess the bottomline for now is:

If i go for the only listed not-Quadro CS5 certified graphic card - will i miss out on all the "Quadro exclusive" features, or is the info on the website not fully up to date ?

Depending on the answer i have some more questions, but first let's figure this out