8 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 11:13 AM by Mylenium

3D textures not applying correctly?

MartinJ11 Level 1

I have this problem in After Effects CS5.  This never happened in CS4.  I've tried to manipulate the 3D image in every way possible, but whenever I import it as a PSD file, it looks like crap.  I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or what the deal is.  I've been importing it as an editable composition with Photoshop Live 3D enabled.  Any idea?  The "Render for Final Output" option in Photoshop no longer exists, to my knowledge.  I don't know if it's not rendering correctly or what, but it looks fine in Photoshop.  it's when I move it to After Effects that it looks junky.

Please help!photo.jpg

• 1. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Direct copy&paste from the PS forum:

I guess some PS engineer was utterly oblivious to the fact that  infinite progressive refinement doesn't go down too well with a temporal  program that needs exact termination criteria per frame. I don't think you can resolve this other  than using the Draft antialaising mode, which at least terminates  after 5 iterations. Perhaps at least that works...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Personally, I treat AE's 3D-PSD import functionality as experimental.  It's just too flaky to consider production-capable.

If you need reliable 3D in AE, consider Zaxwerks or Boris's real 3D plugins.

• 3. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?

Again copy&paste:

Well, okay, I did a little digging... Seems it is busted on both  ends. PS does not embed the data in a form that AE could use (CS4  compatible method) and AE has no access to the CS5 PS rendering  routines. All AE seems to see is the OpenGL stuff and when your card is  not 100% compliant in both apps, it goes *boom*. so much for that. Thank  you, Adobe!

Mylenium

• 4. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Does it help if you set the render quality in Photoshop and the set the image quality switch in After Effects as shown about halfway through Chris Meyer's video linked to here?

• 5. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
                  MartinJ11 Level 1

Unfortunately, 3D->Resume Progressive Rendering is grayed out--I can't seem to re-render it.  Any idea what may cause this?  I've adjusted the quality setting in the 3D preferences to a higher number and it still doesn't resume rendering.

The Repousse tutorials at http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=61991 help shed some light, but I'm worried that since it isn't Repousse it won't work.

• 6. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> The Repousse tutorials at http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=61991 help shed some light, but I'm worried that since it isn't Repousse it won't work.

That video tutorial's information is useful for all kinds of Photoshop 3D object layers in After Effects, not just ones that use the Repousse features. Try it.

• 7. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?
                      MartinJ11 Level 1

Just for reference, here's what it shows up in Photoshop currently.  I have raytrace final selected, but as I said, it doesn't seem to re-render. I don't see any boxes. Do you think there's a setting I've obliviously turned off some where? Perhaps the render bugs out if it's canceled?

photoshop.jpg.png

• 8. Re: 3D textures not applying correctly?

One last time copy&paste:

Okay, more on the matter. In fact after I ran off with my mouth, I  must correct myself and apologize. Seems it isn't as busted as I thought  and my judgment was premature. Still, there is definitely something  going on.

1. The OpenGL issue seems indeed easily replicable if card support  between apps differs. I'm getting weird stuff on a machine with an older  card as well.
                        2. There is a render Gamma difference between apps.
                        3. AE renders textures less crisp.
                        4. CS4 3D files are busted in AE CS5 (camera missing)
                        5. CS5 3D files open with wrong camera placement in AE CS4.

Well, here's the bummer: Except for the OpenGL issue, none  of this explains why it isn't rendering at all in AE CS5, so we're  essentially back on square 1. Sorry for having this taken in the wrong  direction. I'll try to do better...

Mylenium