2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 1:35 AM by Andrew Yoole

Losing a LOT of quality when rendering my After Effects comp

B3nish

Hi guys. I'm having an absolute nightmare with my comp. i'll attach a pictue that illustrates the problem i'm having. Basically no matter what I do my after effects comp loses a lot of picture quality when I render the clip on premiere pro.

the confusing part is that the clip is imported into the timeline just fine. and when I preview it in the timeline, everything is fine. But as soon as I render the damn thing the quality is reduced.

hope the pic helps show you whatI mean.

any help would be great guys. I have tried for nearly 5 hours to get this thing working.

P.S this image is the result of using Dynamic link to after effects and back, however, the same loss of quality occurs when I take a non linked comp from after effects and import into premiere.

the pictures below show my settings in both programs etc. Any help would be very much appreciated!After effects nightmare.jpg

after effects nightmare pt2.jpg

• 1. Re: Losing a LOT of quality when rendering my After Effects comp
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Basically no matter what I do my after effects comp loses a lot of picture quality when I render the clip on premiere pro.

In short: It seems ou are messing up fields and using the most unsuitable CoDec imaginable - DV AVI. Possibly you are also making a mess of pixel aspect ratio conversions. Render to Quicktime Animation or PNG. For everything else, please read up:

Interpreting  footage

Basics  of rendering and exporting

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Losing a LOT of quality when rendering my After Effects comp
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Some things to consider:

Make sure fields are interpreted correctly at every stage - source footage into AE, render settings out of AE, imported footage into PPro.  In particular, if you're interpreting fields on the way IN to AE, but rendering progressive on the way out, you'll effectively cut your resolution in half.

Make sure you use the Render Queue, not File/Export.

You are designing in 1024x576 square pixels, but outputting with 720x576 anamorphic pixels.  Trying dropping your square pixels comp into a comp that matches your required output resolution and PAR.  Use the second comp for output.

Like Mylenium said, don't expect miracles when working in DV - but your example pics also suggest more than just compression is the culprit.