9 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 4:06 PM by the_wine_snob

Burning DVDs

Koscieliska Level 1

From time to time some, of my friends, to whom I sent DVDs with my films, report that the DVDs either stop at some stage of playing or can not played at all. It is quite random and I can not work out the reason for this. When I test it on my 3 computers at home the films are OK. All films are burned on DVD+R discs. Someone told me that this is the reason for this problem and I should burn videos on DVD-R discs. Could someone, please, comment if this indeed could be the reason for this problem.

Andrew

• 1. Re: Burning DVDs
          Paul787 Level 3

What brand of DVD's are you using Andrew? Certain types like Memorex are best to be avoided while one like Verbatim is very good. And are you burning the DVD's at a slow speed? Some of the threads in the 'More Like This' column to the right may have some helpful tips too.

• 2. Re: Burning DVDs
            Koscieliska Level 1

Well, I am burning Verbatim DVDs at the speed of 16x.

Andrew

• 3. Re: Burning DVDs
              nealeh Level 5

You will be better to burn at no faster than 4x.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Burning DVDs
                the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE will give you some tips for greatest playability of burned DVD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Burning DVDs
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Verbatim is as good as it gets. Taiyo Yuden is also an excellent brand.

I agree that the burn speed is likely an issue (Neale's suggestion). However, there is one problem: PrE will automatically set the burn speed based on the media and on the speed of one's burner, and go for the fastest. This is unfortunate, on Adobe's part. I would strongly recommend that one buy the slowest media available, and if all that the store has is the 16x, then Burn to Folder (on the HDD), and use the great, free burning utility, ImgBurn, to do the physical burn. It will allow one to set the burn speed much slower.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burning DVDs
                    Koscieliska Level 1

Thank you for all your responses. But I still have one question: does it matter if I use DVD+R or DVD-R?.

Andrew

• 7. Re: Burning DVDs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

This was more of an issue in the past, as certain players did much better with one type, than the other. Recently, more and more players do not seem to care, but with any older equipment, it still might be an issue. It seemed then that the +R was a bit more widely accepted, but again, the final test will be with the particular equipment.

I've got 7 units that I use for testing from very recent esoterics down to bargain-basement cheapies. I never had an issue with +R's in any, though two of the cheaper units (older too), did not like them, but would play the -R's just fine. All of the newer units play either, equally.

Unfortunately, there is no pat answer, as a client might well have a player that is type-sensitive.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Burning DVDs
                        Koscieliska Level 1

Thanks Bill.

Andrew

• 9. Re: Burning DVDs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Hunt