4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 1:27 AM by norm1153

Stay w/Vista 64 Or Upgrade to Win 7 64?

norm1153 Level 1

Greetings:

I'm about to upgrade to CS5 from CS4.  My Vista-64 OS came with a free Win7-64 upgrade CD shipped to me from MS.  I've hesitated so far to upgrade.  Is there a good performance boost for Win7 vs. Vista?  If it's just a negligible amount I might pass, but curious as to experiences.  Running Asus P6 MB, 12 GB RAM, i7 3.x GHz, GTX 275 (soon 285).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

• 1. Re: Stay w/Vista 64 Or Upgrade to Win 7 64?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Make a fresh install of Win7. Ir really is a no-brainer. Much more stable and a nice performance increase. Do not upgrade from Vista, but only do a complete fresh install after you have deactivated CS4.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stay w/Vista 64 Or Upgrade to Win 7 64?
            Moxtelling Level 1

Hi

I have made an upgrade from Vista Pro 64 to Win 7 64 Pro withpout any issues. Everything worked afterwards and I have not had any problems with any software or hardware afterwards. It´s about 2 months ago now.

I agree with Harm that the best solution is making a fresh install. You will be almost certain that you will not have any issues afterwards. But it´s quite a job if you have alot of software and files you need to move, backup and restor and install/uninstalle etc. That was why I went for the upgrade instead - having done it allready for my laptop from Vista 64 Home to Win 7 Home with no problems I decided to go for it at take the chance.

I have not noticed any difference what so ever in performance after installing Win7 64 bit - maybe a bit quicker in startup Windows and the system acts more stable. But above all it looks much nicer, and I have experienced less crashes using Win 7.

Try the upgrade if you do not want to start from the top - I guess you will have no issues. If you have - you have to start  a fresh install no matter what. So give it a try. Just remember to backup your system and files first.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stay w/Vista 64 Or Upgrade to Win 7 64?
              Moxtelling Level 1

Sorry Harm - replied to you not to Norm. And now I am replying to my self...what a mess...

• 4. Re: Stay w/Vista 64 Or Upgrade to Win 7 64?
                norm1153 Level 1

Thanks for your quick responses.  (Will probably go ahead prior to installing CS5.)