4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 11:44 AM by Randy Edmunds

Argh... CS5 and still need to install CF9 extensions manually!?

dave.byers

I just installed my copy of Creative Suite 5.  I use Dreamweaver primarily, but do a lot of work coding ColdFusion 9 applications.

Seriously?  No CF9 tag support in CS5?  I STILL have to download an extension that doesn't even work 100% and still creates code errors to be able to code CF9 using Dreamweaver?  What a pain in the ***.

Come on Adobe... you can't even integrate your own products into each other properly?

-----

Test example:

• Install CS5
      • Open Dreamweaver
      • Type <cfcontinue> (a new to CF9 tag).

Result: Dreamweaver won't recognize it as a valid tag.

Workaround attempt:

• Download and install the CF9 extenstions for Dreamweaver (which were not developed by Adobe, if I recall correctly.)
      • Open Dreamweaver
      • Type <cfcontinue>

Result: Even with the extensions installed, CF9 tags are not always supported.

• 1. Re: Argh... CS5 and still need to install CF9 extensions manually!?
          Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

Hi Dave,

No CF9 tag support in CS5?  I STILL have to download an extension that doesn't even work 100% and still creates code errors to be able to code CF9 using Dreamweaver?

ColdFusion support is delivered for Dreamweaver as an extension to make it more flexible. This gives you the choice to install the extension to match the version of CF that you are using. This also allows you to install new support as soon as it comes out, so there's no need to wait for the next version of DW.

Please let us know what is not working. It would implemented the same way if it was built in to DW, so the fact that you have to install an extension is not an issue.

Sorry that it's an extra step for you, but it gives you more choices.

Regards,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.

• 2. Re: Argh... CS5 and still need to install CF9 extensions manually!?
            bemdesign Level 4

I think Adobe wants you to use their new tool for Cold Fusion development, ColdFusion builder (see http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/cfbuilder/features/). Not sure where that leaves ColdFusion and Dreamweaver in the future, but there you go.

• 3. Re: Argh... CS5 and still need to install CF9 extensions manually!?
              dave.byers Level 1

I disagree with the "flexibility" response for the need of a plug in.  If only being able to install extensions for the things you need were the case, then there would be NO built in languages installed.  There are HUNDREDS of features built into Dreamweaver that I do not need, and will never use.  They exist because somebody, somewhere needs it.  It seems foolish that the functionality they elect not to include is the functionality that is required by another one of Adobe's products.

But I can live with that... as long as the extension is of decent quality and works exactly as I need it to.  The current plug in for Dreamweaver for CF9 is poor quality.

Example 1:  It doesn't recognize the cfcontinue tag.  (What good is a version plug in if it doesn't support all of the tags in the version?)

Example 2: Open a new file.  Type <cfgrid>.  Right click and select "edit tag", give the grid a name and click "Ok".  You get a CF error saying that the tag does not support the attribute "COLAPSIBLE".  The plug in writes code that doesn't work!

I can keep going... I can think of at least four more instances where the plug in writes incorrect code, extraneous attributes, or won't recognize valid tags.

(By the way, some of the errors in the plug in were reported when the CF8 plug in was introduced, and the exact same errors carried over to the CF9 plug in.)

So even if I were to buy that the plug in gives me more flexibility to have only what I want installed with the program, it doesn't change the fact that the plug in itself sucks.

• 4. Re: Argh... CS5 and still need to install CF9 extensions manually!?
                Randy Edmunds Adobe Employee

But I can live with that... as long as the extension is of decent quality and works exactly as I need it to.  The current plug in for Dreamweaver for CF9 is poor quality.

That extension is written by the ColdFusion Team, so you may also want to post in the CF Forum in hopes of getting a faster response.

You can also update the data yourself if you care to. Let me know if you would like some more information about how to do that.

Regards,

Randy Edmunds

Dreamweaver Development

Adobe Systems, Inc.