3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 8:33 AM by Colin Brougham

How to break big video file into many small ones?

dimailer Level 1

I have a 1-hour long video file (miniDV), recorded on tape with timecode but without timecode markers between individual clips (that is, I cannot scene detect capture it). How do I best go about accurately breaking it up into individual video files on my disc?

1) capture it, drag it into Timeline, cut into clips there, manually copy-paste the in-out data into a batch list. Takes lots of time.

or

2) capture it, open it in Source Window, make subclips, export the batch list. The problem here is that the timecode in the original file is weird, starting at 08;06;40;01, and all the subclips inherit it. Otherwise, it would probably take less time than option (1).

or

?

Is there any way to generate batch list from the timeline, in order to avoid time-consuming manual copy-pasting in-out data?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to break big video file into many small ones?
          Level 4

Hi,

Maybe try this program...free...

http://www.doeasier.org/splitter/

Or use ScLive

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html

You can tell it how big by byte count you want your "scenes" split into.. or it will do the timecode scene split ( every time camera shut off and back on would be a new scene ...this is from mini DV on capture...

First program works on stuff already captured...by byte count...but I never used it ...so you'd have to read up on it.

Good luck

Rod

• 2. Re: How to break big video file into many small ones?
            Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I love scenalyzer.

I don't understand how you can have timecode that won't allow you to use it to tell (something like scenalzer) to split on capture or whatever.  Just curious.

What version Prem?  Can you use ame to batch export the clips?

Why split at all; just edit away?

I'm sure there's a reason, but if one of the ideas suggested doesn't work, I'd rexamine the premise.

• 3. Re: How to break big video file into many small ones?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I don't understand how you can have timecode that won't allow you to use it to tell (something like scenalzer) to split on capture or whatever.  Just curious.

Scene capture for DV footage isn't dependent on timecode, it's dependent on datecode/time-of-day (TOD) information written onto the tape. I've run into this problem before when the internal battery on a DV camera was dead, and so the internal TOD generator didn't function; the same time and date was written on every single frame, making it impossible to use automatic scene detection.

Here's another option: drop your clip into a sequence, and split it (using the razor and trimming tools) where you want scene breaks. Be sure to trim at least a couple of frames off of either the tail of the outgoing clip or the head of the incoming clip. When done, go to Project > Project Manager, and use the "Create New Trimmed Project" option. Uncheck the "Include Handles" option, set your destination and hit OK. Premiere will create shorter trimmed versions of the original clip in the destination you specify, and also create a new project file that points to those trimmed versions; there is no quality loss, so don't worry about that. You can either use the generated project, or just import the split clips into a new project.