6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2010 1:15 PM by Angeldesign2010

Adobe Reader Default settings

Angeldesign2010

Hi people

I am having issues with opening up vector art work from a PDF file. I have a PDF catalog

with images that I am suppose to open up in PDF format, Click on the image and

automatic open up Illustrator. How do I default to open Illustrator in PDF software.

I did try changing the file "info" on the file an change the settings there but it won't allow

me to change it since I don't have permission. Any other ideas anyone has.

I have  brand new Mac Pro G5 with Snow LEP and trying to make things work and

my last computer I had Tiger still installed. Worked like a champ in tiger but not working

for me on Snow LEP.

Can anyone help

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Highlight a PDF, go to File>Get Info>Open with and choose Reader or Illustrator (Can't tell which you want to use from your post), then click the "change All..." button.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings
            Angeldesign2010 Level 1

I am sorry. I want to USE Adobe Reader or Acrobat which ever works better to search for images.

But as soon as I see the image I want in ADOBE READER I need to CLICK on the image and it should

open up ILLUSTRATOR auto so I can use it in Illustrator.

I hope that makes better sense.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings
              Angeldesign2010 Level 1

Yes I have done that with Get Info and this is what I get back:

"You don’t have permission to change the application for this document only.

Do you want to change all your Adobe Reader documents to open with the

application “Adobe Illustrator CS4”?

Then I try to open up the PDF and I need a pass word. It never asked that

before till I upgraded to Snow Lep.

Normally it works with Adobe Reader 3.0

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings

Angeldesign2010 wrote:

But as soon as I see the image I want in ADOBE READER I need to CLICK on the image and it should

open up ILLUSTRATOR auto so I can use it in Illustrator.

That can't be done with Reader. It can be done with the full version of Acrobat. Keep in mind that Reader is primarily for viewing and printing PDF's so there aren't a lot of options like what you want.

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings

Angeldesign2010 wrote:

Then I try to open up the PDF and I need a pass word. It never asked that

before till I upgraded to Snow Lep.

If Reader is asking for a password, it's because you are opening a secure document. If the OS is asking for a password, it's hard to say. You'll want to take that up with the Apple forums.

If the exact same PDF was opening before without asking for a password, it was more than likely because you were using Mac Preview to open the file. Adobe security isn't necesarily honored by non-Adobe applications.

Normally it works with Adobe Reader 3.0

Reader 3? Really? What kind of machine are you running that on? Certainly not the one you are using now. Reader 3 is ancient.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader Default settings
                    Angeldesign2010 Level 1

Ok I totally understand about Reader that it's very limited but it also did the same thing with my full version of Acrobat 9.0

The pdf file that has all the images inside is meant or created just for this purpose. Since there are 100's of images

in the pdf file it was created so you can view the image, CLICK on the image and it will open up that specific

image that I want in ILLUSTRATOR.

It worked perfectly in Tiger why doesn't it work in Snow LEP?

I really do appreciate everyones advise but nothing seems to work. Is there a setting in Adobe Acrobat where I can

change the setting to open up Illustrator?

NO no longer using my    Power Mac Quad. Now I have the NEW Mac PRO Corvette You would think it would work better