26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2010 5:59 PM by Colin Brougham

CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?

Riki3D

I just paid for the cs5 upgrade and couldnt wait to start editing with the new cs5 features. To my surprise premiere simply will not import a techsmith avi file. I tried some of my old premiere files that work perfectly on the same system in premiere cs4 but not cs5. Why remove a valuable working feature? How many people out there edit screencasts with premiere?

Does anyone have any hope?

• 1. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

You are saying that CS4, on a 64-bit OS would work with the Techsmith CODEC's, but CS5 on that same system will not?

As CODEC's are first installed into the OS, and not the NLE program, it would be surprising that CS5 would remove support for that CODEC, that CS4 had.

Maybe Jeff Bellune, or one of the other Camtasia users can comment on how well their Techsmith CODEC's work in CS5.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
            Wil Renczes Adobe Employee

Bill has the gist of it - you need a 64 bit version of the codec for it to work.  32 bit codecs aren't loaded/available with CS5.

• 3. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
              Riki3D Level 1

Thanks, that actually makes a lot of sense and I should have thought of that. I will try and install premiere 32bit and it should fix the problem.

Thanks guys!

• 4. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Now remember, CS5 is 64-bit only, so this will mean CS4 until Techsmith has 64-bit versions of the CODEC. Should not be THAT long - but it's only a guess.

The same holds for many/most 3rd party plug-ins.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                  Riki3D Level 1

Oh wow, I didnt realize that. I suspect a lot of people will run into similar issues. So there wont be a 32bit version of Premeir?

• 6. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?

Nope.  We've been very vocal about how Premiere Pro CS5 is going to be x64 native only.   Incidentally, when you buy CS5, we also include CS4 for anyone that can't upgrade to a 64 bit OS.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Photoshop CS4 did offer both an installation of a 32-bit and a 64-bit version (do not know if one could do both on the same machine, but doubt it), and maybe another program, or two. With PrPro, things are more directly tied to the OS and more is required from the OS, and the drivers.

Sorry that you did not know that. I would guess that Adobe made that announcement about 9 mos. ago, after they did several surveys here (and probably many other places) asking if one could get full 64-bit, would users stand for 64-bit only. Obviously, the replies were overwhelmingly in favor of 64-bit full, at all costs.

Just wanted to point that out, so that you did not mess with your CS4, if it's still installed. Note: both versions can co-exist, though 1 - 2 users seem to have had some issues. Most have had none.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                        Riki3D Level 1

Thanks again.  I much rather 64 bit myself and use it with pretty much everything else I use if I can. I guess I just didnt realize codecs also had to be 64bit.

On a side note: as a thought experiement, which 64-bit codecs would you recommend me trying to convert these to experiment with? Uncompressed may not be an option because the filesizes will be ridiculous. Ill try some out and let everyone know

• 9. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Try Lagarith or the UT Video Codec suite; both are available in 64-bit flavors.

• 10. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                            Riki3D Level 1

Thanks, I tried lagarith but my 1GB file went to 15GB. On a larger scale we are talking potentially terabytes of video which isnt practical.

It also looks like h264 will work in cs5 but the problem is getting a near lossless compression In my tests you could tell it was compressed, and when you keep compressing h264 to h264 it starts to get ugly.

• 11. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

Unfortunately, that's what you're going to have to deal with as we enter this brave new world of 64-bit NLEs. At present, few codecs are available as or optimized for 64-bit OSes, so the options are limited.

I did find this: inno Screen Capture Codec. It says that it's 64-bit, and it's only $15... I think there is a demo available. Haven't tried it myself, so I can't comment on it. I don't know how well this will work with converting preexisting screen captures; it might require starting from scratch.

• 12. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                Riki3D Level 1

I cant believe I havent heard of this. Ill test this asap, thanks!!!

• 13. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                  Riki3D Level 1

I just wanted to post an update because my results are very interesting.

I did try converting the files with the inno codec, however premiere cs5 didnt like it very much. The playback would stutter like crazy and was unusable.

I did a short export to MOV using the techsmith Ensharpen codec and to my pleasant surprise it works perfect in cs5. Then it lead me to another idea that I tried and this may surprise everyone.

I opened the original techsmith AVI file with quicktime pro and "Save As" a self-contained movie. This doesnt recompress it and only takes a second. All its doing is changing the wrapper from avi to mov but dont quote me on that because Im not exactly sure. All I know is the quality and filesize is identical to the original, and it only takes seconds even on muti-gigabyte files.

So anyway, simply converting it to MOV with the technique above makes files that can be edited in premiere cs5 with ease. I hope this helps others and if I run into any problems with my current workaround I will post the results.

• 14. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?

Nice trick.  The irony is that Quicktime is still 32 bit only, so Premiere has to use a separate process to talk with QuickTime (Adobe QT32 Server).  So, if a 32 bit codec is accessible by QT, then ostensibly you can still use it via QuickTime import/export in conjunction with CS5.

• 15. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                      Riki3D Level 1

That makes perfect sense.

Also the good news is you can do said trick and open older premiere files and when it asks for the AVI just choose the MOV and the project can be opened/edited/exported etc.

It does sound like a bit of a hack but may end up useful down the line.

• 16. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Interesting, and a potential lifesaver as I've got similar types of material to work with in the coming weeks and months.

Also, this explains the ".qtindex" files that I've discovered

• 17. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                          jpw21683

Doesn't saving a TC video to a.mov require QT Pro (ie the paid version)?

I Always had problems getting Camtasia vid working in PPro (even CS4).

So I always converted TC vid to lossless Lagarith. (details here) That should still work, right?

• 18. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                            Riki3D Level 1
                                            Doesn't saving a TC video to a.mov require QT Pro (ie the paid version)?

Yes, however there is a free way to do it too. You can download a free program called SUPER and it has an option to convert an AVI to MOV without recompressing, Ive tried it and it works well.

• 19. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                              Colin Brougham Level 6

MPEG Streamclip (here) should be able to do this, as well--it's also free.

• 20. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                                Christopher F Smith Level 1

I recently discovered the same issue, and am pretty disappointed there is no new codec from TechSmith and/or an Adobe workaround for 32-bit codecs. I tried the Quicktime method, however I found that the beginning and end of my clips were somehow corrupted, especially if there was a lot of black.

So I think I found a better method. I had recently installed ffdshow, a swiss army knife collection of video and audio codecs for DirectShow and Video for Windows. This is an extension of the old ffdshow project that ended in 2006 (http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/).There is a 64-bit edition, and it seems to support TechSmith's TSCC format, so that I was able to open the native TechSmith files in Premiere.

1. Install ffdshow x64. Here is a link to the 64-bit builds on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/64-bit%20bu ilds/

2. Once installed, run the Video Decoder Configuration x64 in the ffdshow x64 programs folder.

3. Under Codecs, find "Techsmith."

4. If it is "disabled," set it to "libavcodec."

It appears you can do the same steps #3-#4 in the VFW Configuration x64 app -- I don't know which one Premiere will use, but it doesn't seem to hurt to enable both.

• 21. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?

christopherfsmith wrote:

It appears you can do the same steps #3-#4 in the VFW Configuration x64 app -- I don't know which one Premiere will use, but it doesn't seem to hurt to enable both.

I did a little more investigation, and it appears that the libavcodec for TechSmith in the VFW Configuration is not good -- it radically changes the color of my clips (changes blue to orange, for example). I disabled that one but kept the DirectShow libavcodec enabled (per my directions), and it seems to work well.

So again, follow steps 1-4 but do not enable it in both places, only in the Video Decoder Configuration x64.

• 22. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many people here on the forum will advice against installing codec packs incl ffdshow. It messes up you system.

Stick to Lagarith or buy QT pro (works very well i might say).

• 23. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

I heartily second Ann's recommendation.  Stay far, far away from ffdshow.

-Jeff

• 24. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        I found that the beginning and end of my clips were somehow corrupted, especially if there was a lot of black.

Though usually on Mac's, some users have reported issues with QT and synthetic media, like Black Video and Color Bars. The "fix" has been to first Export the synthetic media to an AV file, and then use that, instead of the synthetic media. Not sure it that will help in your particular case, but might be worth a try.

I also wish to add a "third" to not using any CODEC packs, especially any with FFDShow. Not saying that you might, so it's more for someone coming into this thread later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?

the_wine_snob wrote:

I also wish to add a "third" to not using any CODEC packs, especially any with FFDShow. Not saying that you might, so it's more for someone coming into this thread later on.

Hi Hunt and others,

The reason I had initially installed FFDShow was because I really needed to be able to open my HuffYUV files in Premiere. It simply is not an option to re-encode those files -- I have to be able to open them on my 64-bit system. So if you guys know where I can get a 64-bit version of HuffYUV, please let me know!

On a side note, is your wariness with FFDShow based on recent experience, or problems in the past? I also had run into problems with the old version and had uninstalled it off my previous system, presumably because development died in 2006 and no one was fixing bugs. However this new version so far (knock on laminated table top) has been pretty stable. The UI lets you pick and choose which codecs you want it to handle, and disable the rest.

Once developers start to make native 64-bit codecs available, I'll probably uninstall it. However I have to handle a lot of exotic media because original sources are not availble -- open-source video formats, DVD, Flash Video, screen capture, etc. -- and frankly the codec support in Premiere and native Windows is lacking, to say the least.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Christopher

• 26. Re: CS5 - Techsmith .avi can no longer be imported?
                                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

So if you guys know where I can get a 64-bit version of HuffYUV, please let me know!

Order up!

On a side note, is your wariness with FFDShow based on recent experience, or problems in the past?

ffdshow is a disease-laden rapscallion in milkman's clothing. It comes on being all friendly and helpful and neighborly, but then that insidious red box pops in your system tray all the time, your system slows down and video looks awful, and before you know it your daughter's knocked up. The only way to get rid of it is to carpet-bomb the neighborhood reinstall from the OS up. It is the domain of downloaded, pirated movies found on a torrent, not of professional video production.

However I have to handle a lot of exotic media because original sources are not availble -- open-source video formats, DVD, Flash Video, screen capture, etc. -- and frankly the codec support in Premiere and native Windows is lacking, to say the least.

I understand your point here--I do, because I frequently have to deal with the same. However, for most of these you're listing, Premiere already has built-in support. DVD and MPEG2 video cuts like butter in CS5, and I've worked with FLV6 (though not with CS5 any longer), FLV8, and MP4 without an issue. Screen capture codecs seem to be lagging in 64-bit development, but there are workarounds--there is even a 64-bit screen capture codec if you're feeling Googlicious. And I'm not sure what "open-source video formats" you're referring to, but "open-source video formats" is a pretty narrow alleyway.

At any rate, I think that when dealing with these sorts of "non-standard" formats, you're best served by keeping the 800-implement Swiss Army Knife off of your primary editing rig, and convert the files somewhere on a computer you can afford to mess up.

Personally, I've not found the need for any of these "everything to everyone" codec packs; Premiere's built-in support handles all the professional codecs and formats I use, plus many that I don't and probably never will. There's no need to add to the bloat, as far as I can see.