20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2010 4:55 PM by the_wine_snob

Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD

Jeff2121

I have a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements

8. When burning dvd and then playing on my tv through dvd player I am not getting a full screen. The wide screen video covers about 3/4 of the screen instead of the entire screen. The settings I am using are NTSC widescreen dolbyDVD, and Quality is checked with no changes in quality. The preview screen is set  on a magnificatgion fit. The Video is centered on the preview screen. I have spent hours trying to resolve this problem? I have a trial version and not sure if want to purchase with this problem.

I tried to upload the 8.01 up grade and my computer just blinks on and off; will not load?

• 1. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
          nealeh Level 5

What is the source and format of your footage and how did it get onto your computer?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
            Jeff2121 Level 1

My camara is the new Kodak Zi8. Formate is MOV and recorded in 720p 60mps. I

load the files by drop method within Windows explorer. Everything works very

well with the dobe Premiere Elements 8 with the exception of my problem with

full screen in burning DVDs.

Thanks for you help!

Jeff

• 3. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

How are you down-rezzing your HD material to fit into the SD DV Project?

How is your player setup and is it attached to an HD TV? Player make/model might be useful too.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                Jeff2121 Level 1

No idea regarding the first question. They way a start or open a new file to

edit is as follows: Click on New Project, File, Get media from PC file

folder, brouse and locat the media file, highlight and click on open. Then

the file loads into the program where I can drag down and edit, etc. When I

am ready to burn a dvd I make sure that in the preview screen the video is

centered and magnified as fit. I have spent hours expermenting with the

preview screen which in positioning the video in various ways to try and

resolve my full screen problem (inlarging video within the preview screen in

various way, resetting the magnification to 150%, setting the magnificaiton

to fit and inlarging the video, etc). The best results I have found is to

set the magnifacation at fit and make sure the video is centered and filles

the prevew screen. Still the video only fills 3/4ths of the Tv screen?

I have two different TV with two different DVDs which are giving me the same

results.

Sony 52 inch HD with a Samsung Blue Ray

Sony 40 inch HD with a standard Toshiba Analog DVD player.

Since I have two different tvs and dvd players I don't think is the problem.

I have no idea what down-rezzing means or what SD DV project is?

Tx Again.

Jeff

• 5. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

One of the biggest issues with DVD-Videos in an up-rezzing player is how they are set to handle that task. Many TV's also have setting on how to handle DVD-Video material. This is never an issue with BD's in BD Projects on the same equipment. Check the menu on each player, and I'd also check with the TV's too.

It appears that you are Scaling down the HD material, with either Effects>Motion>Scale or Scale to Frame, and letting PrE just do the Scaling for you. Do you know which it is? For the former, you would do this manually in the Edit Effects Panel, and would be done automatically for the Project Timeline for the latter.

If the former, check your settings for Effect>Motion>Position (another fixed Motion Effect).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                    Jeff2121 Level 1

My DVD players and TVs do not appear to be the problem. I also played on my

computer with WinDVD and have the same results.

All along I have been trying different combination of settings. I found

another combination that improved the Full Screen Coverage from 3/4 to

approximately 80% as follows: Set magnification at 100%, NTSC Widescreen,

and made sure the video in the preview screen is centered and fits in the

visual frame. I tried to increase the magnification to 150% which is the

next setting and the picture only covered about 40% (actually smaller which

was a surprise)? Is there anyway that I can manually set the magnification

at say 110%??

Another question; I tried to download the 8.01 upgrade and my computer goes

out of control blinking rapidly on and off. Is this a problem for me if I

decided to purchase. Maybe since I have a trial version I am not able to

download.

I have had about six crashes since I have started using your trial software,

maybe because I have been experimenting so much trying different settings to

resolve my full screen issue.

I really appreciate your product support which is a big reason I should go

ahead and purchase. The concerns I have are the crashes and the fact that I

am unable to download the upgrade. I would also like to resolve the full

screen issue but the other two are more major issues.

Thanks Jeff

My Compter specs:

Sony Laptop

Processer Intel 1.8 (two processers)

32 bit

Intel Graphics Media Accdlerator 358MB video memory

2 gig ram

• 7. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                      nealeh Level 5

Here are some forum links for other Kodak Zi8 discussions.

Also note that this is a user to user forum - no Adobe support staff here.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I am not at all sure what is going on with your Project and the lack of 100% Frame Size filling. This is quite interesting.

If the Imported Assets, i.e. the Video files and the stills, match the Project's Frame Size, there should not be any issue, and the Display Magnification should not make any difference. Also, remember that the Program Monitor is just an emulation, and not the best way to judge most aspects of the display of the Project.

As for the download, the only issues that I have seen are when a user's browser, their pop-up blocking software, or their firewall got in the way. When those things are sorted out, all others have been able to download just fine.

Now, one only gets one installation of the trial, so if you have already installed the trial of the same version on that computer, they cannot do another trial installation.

As this is a user-to-user forum, it is unlikely that anyone from Adobe will see your post. We have been blessed with one employee, Chad Baker, who has dropped by from time to time, but I know that he's been very busy on the PrPro forum, as of the release of CS5. He might pass by, near the release of PrE 9 (guessing about October, 2010), but doubt that we'll see him before).

Wish that I had more to offer, and maybe some other user will see something that I am missing.

In the meantime, you might gain some insight from Steve Grisetti's Boot Camp and his Learning Series, available on Muvipix. Steve also has several great books on PrE and PSE 8, from Muvipix.

Good luck, and sorry that I could not be of more help,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                          Jeff2121 Level 1

Bill

I have purchased the Premiere elements 8. I now have a problem in logging

into my account. For some reason my password is not working. My ID is

jeffhaines@cox.net. The system keeps telling me to wait for an email to

verify my email address and when I receive the email I am instructed to

click on the here in the message. Then the responding message says the

verification key supplied in invalid and has been used already?? When I go

back to the logon screen the system no longer recognizes my password. I

would like to use the online sharing function and maybe the 2gig storage.

Not sure if this is something that you can resolve for me but would

appreciate a response as it appears that when I try to access info through

the online help there is no response???

Thanks Jeff

• 10. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

I am not clear on where/what you are signing in to. Can you help me out a bit there? Is this your Adobe.com account?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                              Jeff2121 Level 1

I am not sure what is going on???

I just went to Adobe.com and was able to log in successfully with my ID and

password. my id is jeffhaines@cox.net.

However, when I open up the software I purchased (Adobe Premiere Elements

8), the first page asks me if I want to log onto the Adobe ID account in

order to set up online sharing and a 2gig storage (which I was to recieve

with my purchase). When trying to sign in with my Adobe.com ID and password

I recieve different error messages and asks me to provide my email address

for verification. After reciving an email from Adobe stating to go ahead and

Is it possible that these are two different IDs and I need to create another

ID and password for the software. Very confusing???

My order number in case you need it is AD003093801.

I will send you a separate email showing the response from Adobe per above.

Thanks for all your help!

Jeff

• 12. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                Jeff2121 Level 1

Below is the email received from Adobe. I clicked on here and was told to log in, however, system does not recognize my password? On the other hand my password does work when going to Adobe.com

• 13. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                  I_M_J

Jeff2121, I am having the same issue of the video not filling up the screen with the trial version. Did you find what the issue was?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                    nealeh Level 5

That it is a trial version has nothing to do with the problem. The only limitation on the trial version is the watermark it adds to every Share.

I imagine that Jeff's project setting was wrong. It sounds as though he was creating an SD project and loading HD footage into it. Also he never told us what settings he was using for export. The options he tried all related to how the image was DISPLAYED in the preview screen - none of those options would have any affect on his output.

For your problem please describe:

• your camera and it's recording format (use the free GSpot Codec Information Appliance product to analyse your clip and post a screen dump of it here).

• the project setting you chose when starting the project
                                    • the settings you are using in Share.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

• 15. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When the source Video does not fill up the Project's Frame Size, it is because of a mis-match between that source footage and the Project Preset. The wrong Project Preset was chosen for that source footage.

What is your Project Preset?

What are the full details of your source footage? If necessary, you can use the great, free utility, G-SPOT, to give you the full specs. of that source footage.

The Project Preset must match the source footage 100%, or problems will be encountered.

Good luck, and please let us know about your Project Preset and your source footage details. Someone will spot the issue and tell you what settings you need instead.

Hunt

• 16. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                        freethedata Level 1

I have been having the same problems.  See my discussion threads on aspect ratios in the past few days.

Let me share my thoughts on this.  Apparently Elements 8 is optimized to work on 4:3 CRT TV's; HD flat screen TV's must not have made much penetration in India yet.  So when you set the output for NTSC widescreen, what Elements does is compress the widescreen data into a 4:3 frame, squeezing the image horizontally.  Counterintuitively, what you have to do is select NTSC normal.  Then Elements does not further squeeze the widescreen data.  What it then does is fit it into a 16:9 letterbox, still containing the left and right bars, within the 4:3 frame.  Set the DVD to playback in widescreen mode, which expands the letterbox image to full width of the TV, though retaining the left and right bars, then zoom the TV image to full the screen, to eliminate all the bars top, bottom and sides.  Worked for me, but I used a SD camcorder set to record in widescreen.

A better option might be to change the default pixel aspect ratio, which I am yet unable to effectuate.

• 17. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never observed the behavior that you outline. I do a lot of NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (PAR = 1.2) work, though do have to admit that most of it is in PrPro and then authoring in Adobe Encore, the full-featured authoring app. Still, most of the engines in PrE are based on those in PrPro and also Encore (Sonic Authorcore, licensed from Sonic).

What can pose a problem is the manner that widescreen TV's and the DVD players are set. Each can possibly have a different way of handling the DVD-Video in 16:9, so it is impossible for an editor to know what the client will have and how it will be setup. This is where I see the variables, and even go so far as to furnish setup instructions for the clients, though there is no way that I can cover all possibilities and all equipment. I just wait for the phone calls on those, and step the clients through the setup.

Same thing regarding Gamma and Chroma. The vast majority of people have their equipment set up with the factory default, so if I edit and Color Grade on a calibrated NTSC CRT monitor, I have no way of knowing how the client's equipment will be calibrated, if at all. There is no such thing as a calibrated color space in Video. Too many variables.

Good luck, and maybe others can shed some light on the exact handling of Widescreen 16:9 in PrE. I just would not anticipate that it would be vastly different from PrPro and Encore, but have been wrong many times before.

Hunt

• 18. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                            freethedata Level 1

I ran actual tests in Elements 8, using a recording of a globe which will quickly reveal any distortion, using different combinations of PARs and presets, and that is what I observed and noted.

• 19. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                              I_M_J Level 1

Bill and Neale, thanks for the quick response. The problem was indeed my incorrect project settings. I was rendering the clip as 720 30p while the project setting itself was set to a lower resolution.Thanks for you r help.

• 20. Re: Unable to obtain full screen when burning DVD
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome and glad that it's sorted out!

Happy editing,

Hunt