6 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 3:38 AM by dradeke

CS5 and Parallels 5

RonnVar

Ok. Here's the story. I read on this forum that Premier Pro runs better on Windows than Mac. I have a Mac pro Desktop with 16 GB of ram at 3.2 GH. I installed Parallels 5 ant 64 bit Windows 7 on the mac and then downloaded CS5 Production Premium...for Windows. I get junk in Premier Pro...won't run the timeline...etc. Did I choose poorly?

Is there a simple solution or should I just return to the Mac. Will the Mercury playback engine work on a mac system?

• 1. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I wish that I could help you, but am a PC-only guy.

However, there have been reports of Parallels and CS4. Do not know what the resolution to those issues (seems that there were several different issues), or not. Still, all was not perfect for all users.

I'll bet that some Mac-users will see "Parallels" in your title and offer some Mac-specific recs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
            trilobyte550m Level 1

I'm pretty sure you chose very poorly.  Parallels and VMWare Fusion are going to slow things down quite a bit.  If you want to run the Windows version on your Mac to get improved/better performance in Adobe CS5, you should run Windows via bootcamp.  Good luck!

• 3. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have to ask this question.  Did you download the crippled trial version?  The trial version does not have the MPEG codec available and this can and will cause major problems.

• 4. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
                RonnVar Level 1

Thanks for the response. I bought an upgrade Production Premium 5 package.

• 5. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
                  RonnVar Level 1

Thanks for the input!

• 6. Re: CS5 and Parallels 5
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

RonnVar wrote:

Ok. Here's the story. I read on this forum that Premier Pro runs better on Windows than Mac. I have a Mac pro Desktop with 16 GB of ram at 3.2 GH. I installed Parallels 5 ant 64 bit Windows 7 on the mac and then downloaded CS5 Production Premium...for Windows. I get junk in Premier Pro...won't run the timeline...etc. Did I choose poorly?

Is there a simple solution or should I just return to the Mac. Will the Mercury playback engine work on a mac system?

Adobe's intent is to have both versions run identically on both platforms.  The only difference in performance should be related to the OS.

Running Parallels or VMWare, you need to understand what's going on - it's EMULATION software and is running on top of the existing OS.  Therefore, you are taxing your computer's resources which necessarily come out of the performance that you would get from Premiere Pro CS5.

If you wish to run Production Premium on the PC side of your Mac, then I heartily recommend that you install bootcamp on your Mac and run Windows from that.  As an aside, both Parallels and VMWare can run your bootcamp image if necessary.

Hope that helps.

Dennis