17 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 9:05 AM by Larry G. Schneider

Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!

Jofar1 Level 1

Hi!

I had a logo created, by a printing press, for me. The logo was created in illustrator CS4, I guess, and I was given the original .ai, .gif, .png, .tiff, and a pdf file.

I later sent the logo to another printing press to create a business card but they are having problem printing the logo unto the card. The their issue is that the logo has CMYK colors and they want a two spot color. The logo is made out of two colors, black & gold. I tried converting the color mode from CMYK to RGB but it seems that it didn't help.

I am a newbie to illustrator but how can I convert or create a two spot color in this case?

• 1. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
          [scott] Level 6

Why not contact the original logo creator and ask them for a spot color version?

• 2. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
            Jofar1 Level 1

I did and he told me to use the .tiff and .pdf files. I tried sending those two files too but it didn't help.

I do have Photoshop CS4; if I need to use it.

Message was edited by: Jofar1

• 3. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
              JETalmage-71mYin Level 3

You should state what version of Illustrator you are using, and post an image of the artwork in question. Based on assumptions of solid-filled, unstroked vector paths, Windows OS with the AdobePDF virtual printer installed:

1. Open a copy of the .AI file in Illustrator. Make sure the document color mode is CMYK.

2. Swatches palette: DoubleClick the Black Swatch. In the resulting dialog, make sure it consists of 100% K and no other CMY components.

3. Swatches Palette Flyout Menu>Open Swatch Library>Color Books>Pantone Metallic Coated.

3.1. Stop to catch your breath.

3.2 Select a gold that suits you. When you click it, it should show up in the regular Swatches palette.

4. Select one of the black-filled paths.

5. Select Menu>Same>Fill Color.

6. Main Toolbox: Make sure the Fill half of the Fill/Stroke icon is in front. Click the Black Swatch in the Swatches palette. All the fills of all the black objects should now be filled with the Black Swatch.

7. Select one of the gold-filled paths.

8. Select Menu>Same>Fill Color.

9. Click the gold Pantone Metallic Swatch in the Swatches palette. All the fills of all the gold objects should now be filled with the Pantone Metallic Swatch.

10. File>Print. In the resulting Print dialog, select AdobePDF as the printer. On the Output pane, select Separations (Host Based) for Mode. In the separations panel at the bottom, you should see only the Process Black and Pantone Metallic ink showing a printer icon, indicating that only those two colors exist in the document. If so, you're good. If other colors are showing as printing, click Done, go back to the page and find the objects that are assigned other colors. Fix those and try again.

JET

• 4. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

with the ai file open select all the art of which the logo consists.

then go to Edit>Edit Colors>Recolor Art

you will see the colors the art is consisted of on the left side

Then go to the swatches icon and select color books and Pantone Metallic Coated

Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 10.20.43 PM.png

that wil giv you the equivalent spot color version of the colors at the top left

Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 10.21.15 PM.png

click on the  folder with the plus sign icon top right to create a new color group

Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 10.21.41 PM.png

if you click ok it will update your colors in the art.

Save as a pdf send to the printer.

If you do not like the match Recolor Art makes click on the small split rectangle
                where the arrow in the screenshot below points to and the swatches for the current book selection will open and selct your metalic swatch you like then when you update that will be the color.

Screen shot 2010-05-10 at 11.57.21 PM.png

• 5. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                  Jofar1 Level 1

I am currently using Illustrator CS5 (trial, but I do have Illustrator CS4 full version), solid-filled, stroked vector paths, Windows 7, and AdobePDF Virtual Printer installed.

I did follow the steps but when ever I went to save as a pdf send to the printer, I get 6 colors listed in the output pane - it shows the two colors that I worked with and four other colors.

JalexTechLOGO.gif

output pane copy.gif

• 6. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Right but if you turn off those colors does anything disappear from your view of the logo? If not ignore those channels, your artwork is in two colors. If something does disappear, then go back and select the object and make sure it is one of the two colors you want.

• 7. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                      Jofar1 Level 1

Ok. But how do I turn them off?

Why did I have to print the document as a PDF? Was it to test the for the result or will the final file be saved as a .pdf instead of one of the other picture format (.gif, .png, .jpg)?

• 8. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!

Click on the Printer icons at the left of the dialog. And yes, you will want to send a PDF to the printer.

• 9. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Jofar1 wrote:

Ok. But how do I turn them off?

Why did I have to print the document as a PDF? Was it to test the for the result or will the final file be saved as a .pdf instead of one of the other picture format (.gif, .png, .jpg)?

Because gif is a web format and is only index color (rgb) jpeg does not support spot colors either nor does png which rgb only.

Tiff do not support spot colors.

PDF is really your best option. Unless the printer can work with .ai files

• 10. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                            Jofar1 Level 1

Thanks a lot guys but I guess I haven't clearly explained myself. I am actually trying to send the logo to a "printing press" for a business card. I initial sent the logo to the press and here's the response I got from them (the printing press) regarding the logo:

"Jo - we went to tun film on your job - the logo is CMYK.

Is there any way you can send it to me so that it separates into 2 spot colors?"

According to them, they are having problem separating the colors. I did send them all of the images(file types) that I had but they all seemed not to work. That's when I requested help in converting the CMYK color to two spot colors.

I went through the steps you guys sent me but I came up with this (why is it having "current colors (4)? Instead of (2)):

Pantone metallic coated.png

I did try to convert the logo, which I think I did, and resent it to the printing press but here's the response I just got back from the printing press: "

they all still show up as CMYK".

Like I said earlier, the logo was done by another printing press and I did contact the creator but he said that I should send the .tiff and .pdf files. I tried that with no luck.

I am not trying to print it myself with a two spot colors. Instead, I am trying to create a format that I can send to the printing press.

• 11. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

You have a white fill that you do not need well you cannot have you have to locate it and turn it into no fill.

the grey color must in some symbol or in the art.

and the blue is not black if you are using black you have to actually use black.

Can we see a screen shot of the appearance panel expanded and the layers panel expanded?

Added:

I think if you get rid off the white fill you will be fine I think the white might be set to overprint as well.

• 12. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                                Jofar1 Level 1

Is there any way to send the actual Illustrator file for you to take a look at it?

• 13. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

I will send you a private message

• 14. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

That's what I thought the small circles are elliptical paths filled with white placed on top other paths that are both filled  or stroked with the gold metallic color. Unfortunately I cannot find a way to select the mall and make the circle transparent or have no fill each one has to be done separately.

You can easily select them and give them no fill but the then you have manually delete a path below and resize it so it does not show through.

It is a lot of work but it is probably less than doing this over

Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 11.31.15 PM.png

• 15. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                                      Jofar1 Level 1

Thanks a lot Wade & all of you guys for assisting me. I guess I am struck.

Can someone please help cross this bridge?

• 16. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!

You will need to make a Compound path out of the ellipses. Take each of the gold ellipses and the white center and use Pathfinder>Minus Front (second icon, top row) to make the compound path. This makes an object with a transparent center.

• 17. Re: Need to convert cmyk to two spots color!
                                          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

This what you have to do then you will have to adjust the stroked paths or in many case are outlined strokes so the do not show through the empty center.

this is really the creators job to do this why they made this so complicated is beyond me.

It is unfortunately a lot of work but the only way.