3 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 4:45 AM by Freydaklin

Can HTML + AJAX really able to do what flex currently does?

SpaghettiCoder Level 3

Can HTML + AJAX really able to do what flex does?  Looking at porting a flex app to html, and it's painful, very very painful.

• 1. Re: Can HTML + AJAX really able to do what flex currently does?
          SpaghettiCoder Level 3

It doesn't look like the skills learnt in creating a flex app, translate very well to HTML

web pages...

you have to rethink, redesign the thing?

• 2. Re: Can HTML + AJAX really able to do what flex currently does?
            kubens Level 2

Yes.

If you spent some time to existing JavaScript Libraries like jQuery UI, YUI or ExtJS then you will see that it is very easy to develope ambitous applications with them. I have developed some applications with ExtJS in the past. If I compare both ExtJS and Flex then I must sum up that the standard components of ExtJS are more clean and flexible as the standard components of Flex. If this gap of components would be closed in future then I am not affraid about the future of Flex. Of course it is very easy to enhance the existing Flex components but who wants to reinvent the wheel. One main success factor of Flex or any other JavaScript Library will be the list of available components.

And to be honest in my sweetest dreams I see an compiler option inside Flex which offers us to generate a pure JavaScript app and of course the JavaScript app is running based on Canvas. It seems that parts of my dream are not so unrealistic or so far away if you read this article.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can HTML + AJAX really able to do what flex currently does?
              Freydaklin

Yes, and I confirm it's very painful.

First of all, if you want to retain things as smooth transitions between images, animated menus, ... you will have to write quite complex javascript functions that calculate the animations.

A second challenge is to keep your code cross-browser. You have to keep in mind it can be run on different browsers that may interpret your code differently. Flex-apps run in a flash player, that's all.

Ajax is fairly ok. I got in touch with it to assynchronously load external data and I haven't run into any major difficulties.

To conclude, I would say HTML+Ajax is a good option if your solution remains pretty basic, but as you embed media, animations, etc,... things will become much more complex to a point where I think it's better to work out a solution in Flex.