9 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 6:59 PM by ~graffiti

Commenting an unprotected PDF

Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Hi to all,

I don't seem to be able to find an answer in the forum, so I'd like to ask everybody to point me towards a given answer, or a new one.

I (on a Mac) and my colleagues (on Macs and PCs) would like to use Adobe Reader (v. 9) to comment PDF files. But both on documents I generated with FrameMaker 9 and OpenOffice 3, without any restriction applied, we cannot activate the Marker and Note tools in the Reader's toolbar.

Commenting and highlighting is allowed with Apple Preview and a shareware my colleagues are trying. Is there we should activate to have comments on Adobe Reader too?

Greetings,

Paolo

• 1. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Acrobat Pro use the menu Comments > Enable for  Commenting ...

• 2. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
            Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Bernd, thank you, but I was asking about Acrobat Reader, and not Acrobat Pro.

Paolo

• 3. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF

Before you can add comments with Adobe Reader you must enable this with Acrobat Pro.

• 4. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
                Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Tanks. So, it is rather unuseful for commenting my drafts, since I don't want to run Acrobat Pro at each draft. What I wonder is why Apple Preview and the other program (whose name I don't know) can add comments and highlights without changing anything in the PDF file.

No problem on the Mac side, since Preview comes free with the OS and has replaced Reader from a long time. But if it is a shame it doesn't work under Windows, where we have not yet found a freeware replacing Adobe Reader.

Paolo

• 5. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF

Adobe want sell Acrobat.

• 6. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
                    Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Absolutely lecit, but I wonder if this is not counterproductive, since the Reader was born for making collaboration easier, and this reduces its functionality. Not to say that there are other tools around (free on the Mac, but probably also on the PC).

However, this is Adobe's choice, and I can only be acknowledged of it. I understand there is no way to make Reader comment PDF files, unless they are first processed by Acrobat Pro.

Thank you,

Paolo

• 7. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

I wonder if this is not counterproductive,

I don't see it as couter-productive.

Someone has to have Acrobat to create the PDF and that normally would be the person in charge of the document to begin with. The enable the file, take the comments, make the changes.

• 8. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
                        Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

As I use it, it's a bit different.

1) PDF drafts are generated with a publishing program.

2) Then, they are sent to the editors, who add their comments.

In my workflow, there has never been any need of an intermediate passage through Acrobat Pro, since comments returned to me after having been done in Preview.

Now, one of my colleagues using a PC wants to comment my PDFs. There is no tool like Preview installed as standard in Windows, so we discovered this problem.

Having to edit the PDF file in Acrobat Pro at each draft would not be a huge work, but if I could not do it I would be a bit more reliefed. When you are in a hurry, having to repeatedly deal with what looks like sort of a software protection becomes a hassle.

If this is really a software protection, what is its scope? You have to use Acrobat Pro to finalize the PDF file for the final release. In any case, you would need it.

Paolo

• 9. Re: Commenting an unprotected PDF
                          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

As I use it, it's a bit different.

1) PDF drafts are generated with a publishing program.

2) Then, they are sent to the editors, who add their comments.

And that is your downfall.

They don't give anything away except for Reader. As you know with Reader, you can only read and print PDF's. No other options unless you purchase their software (Acrobat) to enable these PDF's. If they give all these options that require Acrobat away for free, they would be out of business in the PDF department. I supose it's all about where you expect them to draw the line on what they give for free.

There are other PDF Readers you can probably get for free that will allow you to comment on a normal PDF. You could always ask people to install them instead of Reader I guess.