14 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 9:43 AM by thunderclap82

Change Sequence Format

thunderclap82 Level 1

I have Premiere Pro CS5.  Dropped a clip onto the Create Sequence icon so the sequence created matches my clip.  However, it's a 4:3 clip and I want to format it 16:9 by zooming and cropping the image.  How do I change an already established 43:3 sequence into a 16:9 sequence?  The options in the Sequence Settings are ghosted.

• 1. Re: Change Sequence Format
          Colin Brougham Level 6

You can't change a sequence (actually, you can, be it involves some risky hacking of the XML of the project file). Assuming you're not too far into your edit, right-click your clip in the bin, and select Interpret Footage. Hit the Conform radio button, and change the PAR from .9091 to 1.2121 (widescreen), and click OK. Now, redo the drag operation--you should end up with a matching sequence that is widescreen.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change Sequence Format
            thunderclap82 Level 1

Okay.  I see what you're doing, but now the clip itself is stretched to 16:9.  It's a 4:3 clip though that I will have to scale and crop to fit 16:9 to make look right.  But when I try doing that (using the Corner Pin effect) I now have to render out the clip or suffer stuttering video.

I need to drop the 4:3 clip into a 16:9 sequence and modify said 4:3 clip myself to fit the 16:9 without rendering needed.  This was a extremely easy to do in Final Cut Pro.  I'm surprised it's so difficult in Premiere Pro.  Unless I'm doing it wrong?

• 3. Re: Change Sequence Format
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Sorry, I misread your original post. I thought you were saying that your clip was anamorphic widescreen. Nevermind...

You still can't change a sequence after it has been setup, and if you're looking to put a 4:3 clip in a 16:9 sequence, you'll either have to suffer the upscaling and resolution loss, or deal with vertical black bars. It sounds like you're OK with the upscaling, but I don't know why you're using Corner Pin. Just use the scaling parameters in the Motion effect (it's the fixed effect that appears on every clip) and increase the scale until the image fills the frame. It should playback pretty smoothly, much more so than Corner Pin.

Alternatively, edit in a 4:3 sequence and crop to 16:9 during export. You haven't given too many details regarding the nature of your footage or your intended output, so those are just a couple variations on theme. No matter what, you're going to incur some quality loss and processing time.

• 4. Re: Change Sequence Format
                thunderclap82 Level 1

The problem is I'm using Lagarith AVI and I can't createa Sequence without getting a red render bar across the top of the sequence.  The video will play smoothly for only a short time before stuttering.  Someone on this site recommended I just drag the clip onto the create sequence button and the sequence conforms to the clip so no render is needed.  This works, but it then makes the sequence 4:3.  I can't seem to find a way to create a 16:9 sequence, drop the 4:3 clip in it and resize (zooming and cropping) as I see fit without some sort of render needing to take place.

I come from a Final Cut Pro background which is why I mentioned it in my previous post.  In FCP you create the sequence, drop the clip in and resize.  No render required, no fussiness with changing the sequence settings... it was very easy.  Premiere doesn't seem so which is making it difficult for me.

So basically I have a ripped DVD of 4:3 footage.  I converted this footage using a Lagarith codec.  That footage I want to put in a 16:9 sequence so I can resize it.

• 5. Re: Change Sequence Format
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you put a 4:3 clip in a 16:9 sequence, you will *always* have a red render bar.  The clip doesn't match the sequence.  The best you can do is create an identical sequence to the 4:3 sequence using 16:9 frame sizes and/or PAR.  Then drop the 4:3 clip in the new 16:9 sequence and either resize the 4:3 footage to fit (bad quality) or leave the black bars on the sides of the 4:3 clip (better quality).

-Jeff

• 6. Re: Change Sequence Format
                    thunderclap82 Level 1

I've made an idential sequence to the one Premiere creates when dropping the clip onto the create sequence button.  The only changes I've tried: DV Widescreen and manually changing the sequence frame size to 720x405 (16:9).  Both yield in red lines.

• 7. Re: Change Sequence Format
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      Both yield in red lines.

Exactly. As Jeff said, since your footage does not match the sequence, you will always have a red render line. And when you change the scaling of any footage, even when it's in a matching sequence, you'll have to render.

You might actually be better off by not converting to Lagarith. For the most part, Premiere is capable of editing MPEG-2 assets, either directly from a DVD as a VOB file, or as ripped MPEG-2 program stream (.mpg). You're not gaining any quality by converting to Lagarith, and you're actually only making your editing experience more difficult due to the greater disk demands of Lagarith. I edit MPEG-2 stuff all the time, without issues; it's not the ideal source, obviously, but that's what you've got to work with and it works in Premiere and there's no sense piling on another needless conversion.

• 8. Re: Change Sequence Format
                        thunderclap82 Level 1

I don't want to edit the VOB because Premiere was doing some weird cacheing thing on my Windows parition even though I've configured Premiere to do the cacheing on my video drive.  So VOB isn't an option.  I'll try an experiment with an M2V file demuxed from the VOB and see what happens, but if I can't drop the 4:3 video into a 16:9 without rendering then Premiere is useless to me in this instance.

• 9. Re: Change Sequence Format
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

I'll try an experiment with an M2V file demuxed from the VOB and see what happens...

M2V will do the same thing; it's index the MPEG video stream.

but if I can't drop the 4:3 video into a 16:9 without rendering then Premiere is useless to me in this instance.

Then Premiere will be useless. There is no way around this. You never have to render in Premiere when you see a red bar; that simply indicates that the footage will be rendered on export, which will be the case whether you use MPEG-2 or Lagarith or most anything else.

• 10. Re: Change Sequence Format
                            thunderclap82 Level 1

But when I get a redbar the Sequence playback comes to a crawl.  I can't edit when video is stuttering.

• 11. Re: Change Sequence Format
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

You've given no details as to your computer setup; Lagarith, though friendlier than uncompressed video, is still difficult to edit without a decent disk setup, at the minimum. I'm able to edit DV, MPEG2, DVCPROHD and other formats without a problem on a pretty basic computer, and even get realtime playback when I'm scaling those formats. Lagarith is a different story.

Fill in the blanks about your computer setup, and also your intended destination for your edited sequence. Sorry to say, but the frustration you're feeling is self-inflicted, and not imposed by Premiere. There are rules to the game, so to speak, and if you don't play by those you're likely not to have a pleasant experience

• 12. Re: Change Sequence Format
                                thunderclap82 Level 1

Computer setup: Core i7 2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, nVidia 260GTX.

And I will disagree that the frustration is self inflict respectfully.  Coming from a Final Cut Pro background, I can setup a sequence, drop in any clip, and make modifications to the sequence easily without forcing a render, things even more complicated than dropping a 4:3 clip into a 16:9 sequence.  This is a flaw in Premiere, not my workflow, because other software is quite capable of doing it.

• 13. Re: Change Sequence Format
                                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Then use FCP. As I said, you have to play by the rules, and you don't want to do that. Comparing Premiere and FCP is a fruitless endeavor, and I'm not going to get in a debate about that.

Out!

• 14. Re: Change Sequence Format
                                    thunderclap82 Level 1

I apologize as it was not my intent to make this a Premiere vs FCP discussion.  I was simply looking for a way to add a 4:3 clip to a 16:9 sequence with causing stuttering video or forcing a render.  The only reason I brought up FCP is because you said that "the frustration  you're feeling is self-inflicted, and not imposed by Premiere" which is inaccurate as other programs can do this simple task while Premiere cannot.

So enough of Premiere vs FCP.