7 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 9:47 AM by SantiagoDiseño

Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4

SantiagoDiseño

Hi to all,

I have been working on a full flash website for a while, and been testing it using the Ctrl + Enter command to export it to swf. Today I was working on the file making some text modifications, but when I tried to test the website, nothing happens. It shows the progress window, but after a while nothing happens, It wont show the swf test file, and It doesn't create the swf file in any way.

I tried the other commands: file-publish, file-export to swf with no success.

I'm using Flash CS4 professional (10.0.2) on Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit

Other .fla files export swf with no problem, and the Swf preview (Ctrl + Enter) works fine. It's only in this file.

Thanks in advance...

• 1. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

save your fla using a new name in a new directory.  now see if you can publish.  if you can, you should be able to resave in your original directory using your original fla name and publish.

• 2. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
            nrajbhan Level 3

Hi,

Is it an ActionScript 3.0 project?  If so, you might be encountering this issue:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405257.html

The Adobe Flash CS4 10.0.2 Updater fixes the problem where extremely large Adobe Flash CS3/CS4 applications fail to compile. The JVM compiler within Flash authoring that is used to compile ActionScript 3.0 has a configurable maximum heap size that must be large enough to account for all the data that is being compiled. The default size in certain cases was not large enough which was causing the JVM to fail. If your project continues to fail export with similar symptoms as described here, the JVM heap size may be modified manually as it is now stored in a registry key.

To edit the JVM maximum heap size in the registry for Flash CS4:

Windows:

1. From the Start menu, choose Run and enter regedit. Click OK.

2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following folders in the registry tree:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Flash 10\ActionsInspector 3. Find the key in this folder called "JVM Max Heap Size".

4. Modify the value of this key to the desired heap size. If the value is set to 0, the value used will be 128mb. If the value is set to -1, no max heap value option will be set, and the JVM will determine a default size, which matches the original behavior before the updater fix.

Macintosh:

1. In Finder, navigate to the folder <your user name>/Library/Preferences/. Open the file "Flash CS4 Preferences" in a text editor.

2. Under the ActionsInspector tag, find the JVM_Max_Heap_Size tag. Modify its value, whose default is 128mb, to the desired heap size. If the value is set to 0, the value used will be 128mb. If the value is set to -1, no max heap value option will be set, and the JVM will determine a default size, which matches the original behavior before the updater fix.

-Nivesh

• 3. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
              SantiagoDiseño Level 1

Thanks for your answer. Saving my file in another directory and publish a swf in the new location did not make any effect. The progress window get stuck at 95-98% and then closes. No warnings, no errors, nothing.

My file is using ActionScript 2, and checked the registry files and they are in the right values.

Please help...

• 4. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
                nrajbhan Level 3

Hi,

It sounds like it's crashing on publish, possibly due to some corrupt asset.  Is it possible for you to email me your file so we can investigate?

Thanks,
                Nivesh

• 5. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
                  SantiagoDiseño Level 1

I appreciate your collaboration, but I need to deliver the site today. I'm going to see if I can send you the file. What's your e-mail?

Thanks in advance...

• 6. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
                    SantiagoDiseño Level 1

Investigating the file, It appears that the symbol library is corrupt or something. Now every time I try to select a symbol (Movie Clip, Button, image) in the Library panel Flash crashes.

Please help

• 7. Re: Unable to create a swf from Flash Pro CS4
                      SantiagoDiseño Level 1

Hi to all,

Finally I fixed the problem. There were some images that were corrupt in a Movie Clip. Every time I selected the frame containing the images, Flash crashed with a error message "insert a drive in F:" I imported again the images and the problem fixed, and were able to select and edit the fame and the movie clips.

Thanks to all for your answers, they were very helpful.