4 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2010 11:17 PM by Mylenium

Third-party hardware upgrades to improve performance in AE?

Hoopafied1

Hey Folks,

Quick question.  Does anyone know of any third-party hardware cards that will improve performance in AE CS5?  I'm running a MacPro Quad-Core (two processor, 8 core) 3.2Ghz with 16GB RAM, 4TB internal drives on a MacPro Raid Card.  Ideally I'd love to get a card that would accelerate Photoshop and Final Cut as well.  Does anyone make third-party cards that do that?  Thanks,

Justin

• 1. Re: Third-party hardware upgrades to improve performance in AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          Does anyone make third-party cards that do that?

No. Not since 15 years ago (ICE board for Final Effects). That aside, what kind of performance improvemnts do you hope to gain that features like GPU acceleration by ways of OpßenGL or CUDA in some plug-ins could not get you as well as with simply using better, more optimizted third-party plug-ins?

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Third-party hardware upgrades to improve performance in AE?
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

Mylenium wrote:

No. Not since 15 years ago (ICE board for Final Effects).

Mylenium

Good lord. I had two--not one, but TWO--of those cool but utterly useless boat anchors.

We were a victim of marketing.

Bad software, unrealistic performance claims, and worthless support from a company that, when starting out, truly thought they had revolutionized the entire world of rendering effects on the NuBus Macintosh.

All that remains of those boards is a pocketful of lovely blue anodized CNC'd heatsinks.

bogiesan

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Third-party hardware upgrades to improve performance in AE?
              Hoopafied1 Level 1

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  The reason I was asking is that I vaguely remembered the ICE cards from way back when (when I couldn't afford them), and was curious if there were any cards that sped up rendering/preview times.  I'm waiting for a new graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800) to replace my GeForce 8800 GT card which is currently driving 30 and 24 inch displays, so hopefully the faster card will speed up preview times a bit and help out with my giant Aperture library previews.

The other reason I was asking is that I had also heard that the Matrox CompressHD card speeds up creation of H.264 files in Final Cut, but was curious if it did anything for AE - guessing not.

Thanks!

Justin

• 4. Re: Third-party hardware upgrades to improve performance in AE?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

No, AE is out of the loop. There will be CUDA accelerated versions of some third-party plug-ins soon, but I cannot disclose the details for obvious reason and even then, on a Mac you are mostly out of the loop with such stuff. Your new Quadro 4800 will considerably accelerate Premiere Pro and parts of Adobe Media Encoder, so at least your encodes to H.264 might benefit.

Mylenium