6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 6:25 AM by Matt Schneck

Simulate Download not working

Matt Schneck

I want to check to make sure my preloader is working right, so I'm trying to use the Simulate Download function.  At any speed, when I start the simulation, it just sits there, and does nothing.  No images, no backgound, nothing.  Running the program normally does not produce any problems, it's just when I do the simulation.

Now, I think it may just be that I have a gigantic file, but I let it sit there for several minutes, and not a single thing happened -- heck, I have the preloader on frame 2, and a trace on frame 1 that just says "test" to see if it's even getting THAT far, and its not.

Any thoughts?  Is simulate download not as cool as I thought it was supposed to be?

(I'm using CS3 and working with AS3, if that helps)

• 1. Re: Simulate Download not working
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

do you see the load progress of your swf when you display the bandwidth profiler?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simulate Download not working
            Matt Schneck Level 1

Didn't think to check that -- OK, so I can see that it's loading, but it's loading while just sitting on frame zero.  It doesn't

load from the frame my preloader is on, which completely defeats the purpose that I am using the simulate download function for.

Ah, patience is a virtue.  It finally showed when it was loaded to 75% or so, but the bar didn't load correctly -- probably more a coding issue than anything else.  The main thing I just learned was that I might need to cut down the export quality just a touch...

Anyway, is it common for the simulate download to sit on frame zero for that long?  If you download a swf, doesn't it usually stream up to a point where it either has to load, or the program tells it to pause (due to the actionscript code)

• 3. Re: Simulate Download not working

no, it's not common.

it means you have a lot of stuff loading before your first frame can play.  that would include everything that's set to export of use with actionscript in frame 1.

ie, you must have some large bitmaps and/or sound files.

• 4. Re: Simulate Download not working
                Matt Schneck Level 1

I do have a lot of audio files, but they aren't accessed through actionscript until later frames.  The first frame contains nothing, the second frame is the preloader, and the actual beginning of the project doesn't start until frame 5.  Frame 6 has the first occurrence of a sound accessed through actionscript.

• 5. Re: Simulate Download not working

that doesn't matter to flash.  you're exporting for use in frame 1.  whether you use them or not isn't the issue.

for those assets you don't need in frame 1, you can:

1.  untick export in first frame and

2.  in your publish settings/flash/actionscript settings change the frame to export classes to 2.

• 6. Re: Simulate Download not working
                    Matt Schneck Level 1

Alright, I went through and unchecked all of the "export on frame one" boxes in my audio files (there are roughly 50).  Now, when I test the movie, it says that I'm making a call to a possibly undefined method, and points at a random audio file.  Since the file is no longer exported on frame 1, is Flash getting confused as to whether that object exists now?

I also tried putting the frame to export classes back to 1, and that didn't help.