Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a Search within one topic?

New Here ,
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my challenge:

(1) Building WebHelp for a web-based data application in 8.0.2.208 (I also have one member working on 5.0.1)

(2) The web-based data application has 1530 data definitions

(3) The Product Manager would like the ability to perform a search for a data defintion by allowing the user to enter text and then initiating a search specific to the list of data definitions and not including the entire application help (i.e., a search on one topic or a collection of topics)

Not sure if this is possible. I would like to:

(1) Have one primary topic with the name of every data definition in the application (again 1530 of them)

(2) Have an entry field where the user types part of the data definition name and allow them to click a button to initiate the search

(3) Put the user at the first item that matches their search

(4) Each item would be a hyperlink to the actual data definition - OR - have all data definitions on one page (YIKES)

--- OR ---

(1) Have a collection of topics with data defintions

(2) Allow the user to enter search criteria and limit the results to the collection of topics related to the data definitions

Is there an "in topic search control" or a search control that can be limited to one topic or a collection of topics?

I have looked at setting up a form with a form field/text field and command button but I cannot find any substantive documentation on how this works or what I need to get it to work.

Any suggestions?  As always, thanks for any input.

Michael F Weart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at ZoomSearch on my site.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a GIANT step in the right direction and looks like a solution to my issue.

Two questins:

(1) I downloaded the projects you had posted and followed the steps to build the sample (single project and single search) but once I compile the help and try to click the zoom search button I get a Cannot Load Page message from my browser (IE 7). I also tried to manually open the Search.HTML file from the hard drive and got the same message.

Any idea what I did wrong?

(2) Does this option preclude me from allowing the full search button on tne WebHelp toolbar?

As always - thanks for the assistance.

Michael F Weart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2010 May 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1] Not sure but I often find if people print the instructions and tick things off as they go, suddenly it all works.

2] I don't see why it would but if using ZoomSearch for one thing, I would set up a page that offers two searches, the specific one you want and a general search. ZoomSearch gives the results in a page in the topic pane so there is more room. Also one search method for one search and another method for something else is messy to my mind.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two last things:

(1) In the Skins setup, I had to add the "Search.html" in the skin to the "ZoomSearch" button using Links and not Advanced. Having it in Advanced did not open the Search form in my help. When I clicked the ZoomSearch menu bar item, it just flashed and did not open the ZoomSearch search topic.

(2) I got the search processing to work in my project, but at some point it stops working. The search topic displays when I click ZoomSearch and results are shown but when I click the link to go to the page listed in the results, I get the standard "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".

When I look at the link it has:

file:///C:/Research/SearchProcessing/!SSL!/HPI_Change_Metrics.htm

It should have:

file:///C:/Research/SearchProcessing/!SSL!/WebHelp/HPI_Change_Metrics.htm

All I did was re-compile the WebHelp, re-publish the WebHelp, regenerate the search index and repost the 5 Search related files into my WebHelp folder (in the search_files folder). Any idea why it would not have the "WebHelp" included in the path?

As always, thanks --

Michael F Weart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1] The way I have described creating the button does work. Look in my sample project. Is it not working there?

2] That sounds like you have the relative path wrong. See More About Start Options.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp