16 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2010 9:35 AM by the_wine_snob

Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD

GDM1

I have still images from a show that someone created awhile ago but also 4 animations in AVI format.  The problem is the stills were moved to powerpoint to show on a TV but then the AVI's wouldn't run on the built in DVD play for the TV.  So they tried to use a laptop and it didn't work.

They want to redo it so we can pop the DVD in the TV and have it show all the stills and then play the 4 AVI's at the end of the still slide show.

What's the best way to accomplish this with CS5.

TIA!

• 1. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, I would make sure that the still images were Scaled for the DV Project/Sequence. If you know what Duration you will want, or one that is close to universal, set that in Edit>Preferences>General>Still Duration. Import the stills (note PSD is about as good as it gets, but if the images are in JPEG, or PNG, or TIFF, then those will work too) into PrPro.

Now, so very much will depend on those AVI's. AVI is but a wrapper, and a lot of different "stuff" can be contained. This ARTICLE will give you some background. If they are DV-AVI Type II, just Import those into PrPro.

From the Project Panel, you can then click-drag the Assets to the Timeline, in the order that you want. If you need to then adjust the Duration of the stills, Ctrl-click drag on the Head, or the Tail of those stills.

For the final, you will need to use Encore to author the DVD-Video. You can either use Adobe Dynamic Link, or can Export from PrPro and Import into an Encore Project. Add Menus, if necessary, and Links, and then Burn the DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
            GDM1 Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you!  I will try this first thing in the morning.  Unfortunately I know the .jpgs and tiffs are not all the same size which sin't going to help so I many need to do some cropping.  The AVI's are all animated walkthroughs with the following stats.

two are at 2400x1800 at 15fps

1024x768 at 10fps

640x480 at 30fps

I may not use them all and warned them of this already.

• 3. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on Scaling the still images.

Besides those odd Frame Sizes, it would also be important to know what the CODEC is. The great free utility, G-SPOT, will give you that info.

It will probably be wise to convert your AVI files to DV-AVI Type II, which will edit well.

There are many conversion programs, including the Adobe Media Encoder, and for those HD files (those FPS rates might be a big issue), you might want to look into the workflow in Jeff Bellune's TUTORIAL. Just not sure how those Frame Rates will affect things. The closer to a constant you can come up with, the greater the chance of success.

Let us know about the CODEC's in those AVI files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                GDM1 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Sorry for the late response.  Got side tracked with other stuff as usual and Friday is the D day for this.

All the .AVI's are using the cinepak by supermac which I thought they might be.  Since they were computer generated animations, which the person doing them used the default settings for the program.

I'm a bit worried about the frame rates as well.  My only choice maybe we do no animations or two of the four.

• 5. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Am not familiar with the Cinepak SuperMac version, but the Radius version for PC's is quite old and pretty much obsolete now. I use Mac-generated animations often, and request MOV w/ the Animation CODEC. Those work perfectly in PrPro on my PC's. I also request the Frame Rate match my Project (29.97 FPS), so they are never an issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                    GDM1 Level 1

Your right normally it's just the generic cinepak.  I'll update once I get the project done.  Thanks for all the help and guidance Hunt!

I'm sure I'll be visiting the forum more often now as well.

• 7. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      I'm sure I'll be visiting the forum more often now as well.

Please do, as we try our best to help other users.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                        GDM1 Level 1

Hunt,

Got the image sequence all done and looks good, even added a transition between each image.

Now the videos .  I tried Media Encoder and get this error message for each one The source file appears to be corrupted.  Please check that it is a valid file.  PPro can't import them either which I think we both knew wouldn't happen.

Any ideas how else to convert them?  I think these were created using Sketchup but obliviously the person that selected the settings had no idea.

Thanks,
                        George

• 10. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

First part is all good news, so let's look now at the Videos.

I'd recommend the great, free utility, G-SPOT, to gather the details of those AV files. If they are all pretty much the same (save for content and Duration), one representative screen-cap from G-Spot should be sufficient to tell what might be going on with them.

Armed with that info, someone can give you recommendations for how to proceed. Unless they ARE corrupted, there should be a workflow that will help you, though it might involve converting them to something else.

Good luck, and please let us know the details for those files,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                            GDM1 Level 1

Here you go screen capture of gspot.

Capture.PNG

• 12. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you. OK the Cinepak by SuperMac. Think that you mentioned that up-thread. Sorry that I spaced that.

It is very likely that PrPro just cannot use that CODEC, even when properly installed. For general background on CODEC's, this ARTICLE might be useful.

In very basic terms, a CODEC is used to allow for decoding an play on a computer. Then, some also allow Encoding to that CODEC on Export. Third is for Decoding and Encoding via an NLE for editing and playing. The list of the first group of CODEC's is very high. There are fewer in the second group, and then many fewer yet, in that third group.

I would look at doing a conversion of these files to something that PrPro can handle. For a Mac, I'd use MOV Animation CODEC and for a PC, DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio - either for SD (Standard Def) material.

There are many good conversion programs, and some are PC-specific, while others are Mac-specific. For my PC's, I use DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, which is shareware, and works great, so long as the necessary Decode CODEC is installed on the computer. In your case, the Cinepak/SuperMac COCDE shows as being installed properly. I have zero recs. for conversion programs for the Mac, but I'll bet that others, or Google, can help there.

If you have Apple's QuickTime Pro, it should be able to convert for you. At least the PC version does for me.

I know that the MOV Animation CODEC works perfectly on my PC's, so that is why I recommend that for the Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                                GDM1 Level 1

Thanks Hunt!  I was testing the Quicktime Pro after I responded with the screen shot.  It does appear to be working at least it's processing it.

If not I'll try the one you suggested.  I'm PC here as well.

• 14. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck with QT Pro. It has worked well for me, though there are some Apple-only CODEC's, that could be inside the MOV files. That is why I request the MOV Animation CODEC - they work perfectly for me.

Note: DigitalMedia Converter has issued a new version, that seems to have changed quite a bit. I have not tried the new versions. One freeware converter, that gets good recs. is Prism. I have never used it, but many have and rate it highly.

For the PC, I would definitely convert to DV/DVC - AVI w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. Those should Import and edit perfectly in PrPro.

Good luck, and let us know of your success,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                                    GDM1 Level 1

I just wanted to respond back with results.  Thanks to Hunt especially and others.

Project turned out perfect packing everything up to go setup at the tradeshow.

I just had to find the right setting Encore for the DVD player which was just telling it to transcode the project.  I brought everything in Premiere formatted to .psd and correct sizing/resolution.  I renamed all the images first so it came in by the name automatically.  I used QTPro to convert those strange AVI to MP4 format.  I added a dissolve to black effect as a tranistion between each image/movie.  I opened up Encore and imported the timeline from Premiere.

This was all done with CS5 as far as Adobe products go.  Good thing I ordered it when I got hired 6 weeks ago .

• 16. Re: Compositing stills and avi's to a DVD
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news and thanks for reporting.

Hunt