4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 12:20 PM by nealeh

Editing existing sounds on a video

Dan O4B

Can I capture the existing sounds from a video and save them in a wav format? I would like to filter the existing sounds in a video in a separate piece of software and return them to the video. I first need to get the sounds from the avi file I have and save them in a sound format like wav so I can edit them. Is this possible to do with Premiere Elements?

• 1. Re: Editing existing sounds on a video
          nealeh Level 5

Yes. Use File> Export> Audio. Unlink Audio & Video allows you to delete the initial audio then you can replace it with the edited audio.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Editing existing sounds on a video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Neale's Export suggestion, most audio-editing programs will also rip the Audio from an AV file. My Audition does this, and so does the free Audacity. What audio-editor do you have? It is likely that all you will have to do is Open the AV file in the program and the Audio will be extracted and appear on the program's Timeline.

What are the specs. of your AV file?

When done, just Save_As a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file, and Import that into PrE. Replace the muxed Audio Clips in the Timeline. You can Alt+click on just the Audio, and choose Delete.

Now, if you have already cut the Audio on the Timeline (as you edited the Video), then you will want to use Neale's method.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Editing existing sounds on a video
              Dan O4B Level 1

Hi Neale,

Thank you for the response. Interestingly the Export is grayed out. I have the clip selected that I want to pull the sound off. I have selected both timeline and sceneline below. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dan

• 4. Re: Editing existing sounds on a video
                nealeh Level 5

Different versions - sorry. In PRE7 it's under export. In PRE8 it should be in the Share tab.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children