1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2010 3:54 AM by Mylenium

Opening Painter 11 file

toymaker1 Level 1

Hello

Can anyone provide any advice on the following.

I produced a drawing in Illustrator CS4 by manually tracing a scanned in sketch.

I opened the drawing in Painter 11 so that I could color it in a naturalistic style.

I saved the painted drawing in Painter as a PSD.

I opened the PSD file in Illustrator, so that I could bring the final picture into a vector image again.

I live traced and expanded it and printed it.

It still seems to be a pixillated bitmap image.

I expected the live trace to change it from pixels to vector.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

By the way

has any company ever thought of producing a program which combines a vector program like Illustrator with the free painting possibilities of Corel Painter?

That would be good I think.

• 1. Re: Opening Painter 11 file
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Have you expanded the trace and removed the source bitmap? Does the printer (driver) rasterize correctly? For artistic effects, the new bristle brush in CS5 might interest you. Still, it's somewhat beside the point - by their nature, must painterly effects are the result of blending multiple layers of color and transparency. The problem pretty much remains, no matter whether you draw as vectors, you'd only end up with a bazillion stacked vector objects instead of traced blobs. That's not to say it would be impossible, I'm just not sure if it would be that useful and technically practical due to performance considerations.

Mylenium