7 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 6:29 PM by the_wine_snob

Editing audio of original clip in Project

claudioparoli Level 1

I might as well ask this question too:

sometimes it would be useful to edit the audio component of an entire clip after importing it. Typical example: I want to use only - say - track 1 which recorded an interviewee's lapel radio mic while track 2 recorded the camera's top mic or the interviewer's lollipop. So I move the audio component to Soundbooth, insert the two tracks into a multitack file, edit track 1 them save it as a mono/stereo track. Trouble is, I cannot re-sinch it to the vision in the Project window.

The only way I found is to transfer the clip onto a work timeline, edit the sound and synch it on the timeline, then cannibalise the work timeline selecting the bits I want. This works but it's rather cumbersome.

Adobe support in Australia did not even understand the question. Perhaps it's rather peregrine...?

thanks

claudio

• 1. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Before you add any of the clips to any timeline, select them in the Project panel and choose Clip | Audio Options | Source Channel Mappings.  Set as desired.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
            claudioparoli Level 1

Thanks Jeff. The solution you suggest lets me choose the track I want (which sometimes may be all one wants) but if I want to edit a track and re-synch it I'm still no better off, unless there's a further step I'm not aware of.

• 3. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Claudio,

Do you have either Adobe Audition, or Soundbooth? If so, you should have either Edit in Audition, or Edit in Soundbooth available when you Rt-click the Audio stream of the Clip. Then, when you hit Save from the Audio-editing program, your Audio will be replaced with the edited version, and it will also appear in your Project Panel.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
                claudioparoli Level 1

Thanks Bill, that is the direction I was moving too - but when I right-click and select File>Edit in Soundbooth I only get the Extract Audio option... the one that would be useful, Edit Source File, is greyed out.

Extract Audio gives you a separate file you then need to synch manually on a spare timeline, linking it to the pictures and then using it off the timeline rather than off the Source Monitor. What I really need is the same Render and Replace option you get in a clip on the timeline.

Thanks anyway

claudio

• 5. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Claudio,

Because PrPro is a non-destructive editor, it does not actually edit your source files - at all. It references your source files, and then basically writes instructions on how to edit FROM the source files, for Export. Now, with the Edit in Audition/SB, what actually happens is that the Audio stream is ripped and a new WAV file is generated, and saved to your HDD. Reference to it replaces the reference to the Audio stream in the original file. It is this generated Audio file, that Auditon/SB is working with. Hope that makes sense.

I can only speak for Audition here, but if I want to edit the Audio stream from an AV file, I will use Audition to physically rip that stream, and then edit it. I will then Import that ripped file into my Project, and just Delete any existing Audio stream from the Timeline..

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
                    claudioparoli Level 1

Bill that was a great answer, it got me to start my sound edit process directly in Soundbooth rather than sending the clip to SB from PPro4.

So I opened the clip in Soundbooth, got the tracks into a new multitrack file, edited them to my heart's content, then from the Tracks command in the Editor inserted the video and saved the multitrack as an H264 .mp4 file. Soundbooth exported it as a video file with the modified audio. Now all I have to do is to import it in Premiere.

Thaaanks!!!

claudio

• 7. Re: Editing audio of original clip in Project
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Claudio,

You are most welcome. Hope that things flow seamlessly for you one the edit.

Good luck,

Hunt