6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 7:57 AM by Michael_Eisenman

importXFAData script

Michael_Eisenman Level 1

I have the following Javascript that works perfectly well in Acrobat Pro. 9.x -

I have a button on the Form which calls this routine and the PDF Form is accurately filled out using the data in the specified file.

Is there a way to get  the Acrobat Reader to support this capability ?

I thought that the Reader oculd do this and that it actually worked at one time .. has there been a change recently with respect to this capability ?

I understand about plug-ins needing a RIKLA , etc - but this is just a script executing when a button on the form is pressed - I thought that the Reader could do this sort of thing .

Please advise - Thanks

importMHCXFAData = app.trustedFunction( function (cFile)

{

app.beginPriv();

this.importXFAData(cFile);

app.endPriv();

}

);

• 1. Re: importXFAData script
          Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For the use of the method importXFAData in Adobe Reader the document  must have form rights enabled. Read the documentation.

• 2. Re: importXFAData script
            Michael_Eisenman Level 1

Interestingly, I have read quite a bit of Adobe documentation - .

It is my understanding that when signing / extending form rights to the reader from Acrobat that .

all I need to do is to  Select <Advanced > from the Acrobat toolbar - and then select :

Extend Features in Adobe Reader.

I have already done this - and if I do it more than once - I get the following message :

"This document already has enabled usage rights in Adobe Reader".

The error message that i am seeing in the reader when I try to load the form data using the script is :

Extend

Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Wizard Functions Version 9.0
            Acrobat SOAP 9.0

NotAllowedError: Security settings prevent access to this property or method.
            Doc.importXFAData:-1:XFA:CATALOG[0]:Page1[0]:Button1[0]:click

• 3. Re: importXFAData script

It is my understanding that when signing / extending form rights to the reader from Acrobat that .

all I need to do is to  Select <Advanced > from the Acrobat toolbar - and then select :

Extend Features in Adobe Reader.

Yes, this is for signing and saving forms. For the method importXFAData you will need the whole form rights.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: importXFAData script
                Michael_Eisenman Level 1

Ahhh.. I see "whole form rights"  ..... well would that mean that this operation must be done in the live Cycle Designer then ??? or is this accomplished in some other way ???

I find all sorts of references to ES Reader Extensions - but cannot locate any way to use them -

are the ES Reader Extensions a standard part of the Live Cycle Designer ?

Thanks

• 5. Re: importXFAData script

Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions is the following software product:

http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/readerextensions/

• 6. Re: importXFAData script
                    Michael_Eisenman Level 1

The product Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions  ES2  starts at aroung $60,000 Dollars US.

This is a single point issue - for a small office and it is not an enterprise wide problem.

Isn't there an extended version of Acrobat Pro,(that also costs a whole lot less, that might be more suited to my needs ??

What I am trying to do is to use a PDF form in the reader taht calls a trusted javascript functiopn which makes a call to importXFAData.

The PDf form was designed using the Live Cycle Designer that ships with the Acrobat Pro 9.x and it works perfectly in Acrobat.

I am currently receiving a security message in the reader whenever the script is executed -

Which says :

Acrobat Annotations / Collaboration Built-in Wizard Functions Version 9.0
                    Acrobat SOAP 9.0

NotAllowedError: Security settings prevent access to this property or method.
                    Doc.importXFAData:-1:XFA:CATALOG[0]:Page1[0]:Button1[0]:click

AdobeError.JPG

Is there some security setting that might help here - that I am not aware of ????

I can send  all of the current settings if necessary - but has anyone ever experienced this sort of problem before ???

Can anyone there think of anything that might easily explain this issue - ?

Thanks