5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2006 8:58 AM by ~Billy~

Best way to do this?

~Billy~
      A work collegue of mine wants to construct a database/search facility storing details of places of interest in England. So I designed a simple 2 table one-many database in access and linked it to DW allowing searching via either a text box for key words or dropdown menus eg location, county etc.

He has since asked for the results page to be displayed similar to a newsletter / newspaper eg two or three columns of text and pictures. I told him that this would mean that either a PDF or Doc would have to be created to store the information and pictures.

What would be the best way to display results like this from a database?
        • 1. Re: Best way to do this?
          Level 7
          > What would be the best way to display results like this from a database?

Why would you need Word or PDF files? Just store the text in the DB and the
          pictures on the server.

-Darrel

• 2. Re: Best way to do this?
            Level 7
            Billy,

This page is all driven from a database:
            http://www.texaslonghorn.net/reference/photolist.cfm?breedcode=TL

It is not really a "Three Column" newspaper type layout, but since each part
            is in a table cell, each cell could contain as much information as you
            wanted. It could easily be three columns instead of four.

That site is all Cold Fusion driven, but something similar could be done
            with any data driven site.

I can provide the CF code if it would be of use.

Kirk

• 3. Best way to do this?
              ~Billy~ Level 1
              Thanks for the replies guys, one more question if I may - What would be the best way to store the Detail information ie the content which people will read? should I do it with a sinlge database field called "Details" or have two or three detail fields - one for each column? Im just trying to work out the best method to enter and display the details.
              • 4. Re: Best way to do this?
                Level 7
                Billy,

Generally, it is almost always better to follow the rule of normalization
                for any database design at least to the third normal form. There are
                sometimes very good reasons to break the normalization rules, but it is
                better to know why you are breaking the rules when you do, and have a good
                reason.

I don't know exactly what you are doing, but would recommend you only have
                one detail field per row of data in your database table.

If you tell us more about the nature of all the data you are keeping track
                of, someone can help you with your structure and layout.

What are your current data structures?

Kirk

"~Billy~" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e8gmji$9uv$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks for the replies guys, one more question if I may - What would be
                > the
                > best way to store the Detail information ie the content which people will
                > read?
                > should I do it with a sinlge database field called "Details" or have two
                > or
                > three detail fields - one for each column? ust trying to work out the best
                > method to enter and display the details.
                >

• 5. Re: Best way to do this?
                  ~Billy~ Level 1
                  Im ok with designing the database its how to get a "newsletter" style results page in dreamweaver. I am ok with getting the images to match the results, its the 3 column layout I need to work on. When you enter text into a database field say from a form the text will be standard text ie with no bold/italic formatting etc.

Im thinking that creating PDF documents and using Zoom to index them would be simpler and just as effective, I just wanted to try and avoid having hundreds of PDF documents, I wanted the information to be stored in a database if possible.

Say 2 tables, one-to-many, Primary key called Location_id
                  Table_1 - Location_id, Location_name
                  Table_2 - Location_id, County, Details, Images

Then the user can search by location name, county, details (key words).

One location may have more than one set of details eg the county of Essex may have 15 places of interest (details).