6 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 12:00 PM by Nancy Gill

Catalyst disappears when importing a swf

Nancy Gill Level 1

I created the basis of a Catalyst project with  buttons and placeholders where the main content is.  Now I want to replace those placeholders with SWF files that have already been created.  So I select the Page/State, delete the placeholder and Import/Flash SWF.

Catalyst disappears.  Closes.  Gone.

Every time and I have done this same operation something like 15 times and every single time, the program is just gone.  When I reopen, I get a message that a project may not have been saved and would I like to recover it?  So I say yes and I'm back to square one where I perform the same operation to import the SWF and the program again disappears.

Is there any way to get Catalyst to work with this?  This is the release version in the Design Suite Premium.

Thanks,

Nancy

• 1. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
          Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Nancy,

Does this happen with any swf file you try to import, or a particular swf file?

How was the swf created?

Let me know, we can go from there.

Thanks!

Tara

• 2. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
            Nancy Gill Level 1

Hi Tara .. thanks for replying!  I have tried it with two swfs and since posting have now gotten the second one to import.  Rather than just using import from the File menu, I appear to have to use the HUD to make it a component and make sure it adds to the layer where the placeholder was .. otherwise, the program just disappears.  I would have thought just importing the swf into the project would have done it.

The swf I am using was built with Flash Professional CS4 some time ago.  The original project was done in Flash, but has always been clunky in that some items like the Captivate quizzes had to open in a separate window.  Catalyst looks to me like it will be the way to get everything to flow all in one place and this is the beginning of that. 

I have also been seeing other disappearing issues today with Catalyst.  A few minutes ago, I just clicked on the pages/states panel and the whole program went bye-bye.  I don't remember having seen this kind of squirrelly-ness until today.  Could this be the project that is doing this?

Thanks for your help!

Nancy

• 3. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
              Tara Jane Feener Level 3

Hey Nancy,

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of a swf you're having problems with?

We'd like to look at it on our end.

You can email it to me directly at tarfeene (at) adobe (dot) com.

If you can't send it, let me know and we'll see what else we can figure out.

This will help benefit other users.

Thanks for answering my questions : )

Tara

• 4. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
                Nancy Gill Level 1

>

>

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus

signature database 5109 (20100512) __________

>

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

>

http://www.eset.com

>

• 5. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
                  Nancy Gill Level 1

hmm .. sorry about that first reply.  My OE seems to have a mind of its own lately.  Yes, I will surely send you the FXP that I made and the two swfs I have so far been able to insert to replace the placeholders.  I will also send you the next swf that should go into the placeholder so you can try it if you like.  You won't need the xml files or the images that load into the swfs but you will get an undefined result without them.  I'm trying to prove that I can even make something this complex using Catalyst .. the main part of the stage will load in swfs created from both Flash and Captivate before it's all done.  Perhaps it's not even possible to do this but we'll see.

Thanks .. stand by for a renamed zip.

Nancy

• 6. Re: Catalyst disappears when importing a swf
                    Nancy Gill Level 1

Hi Tara:

I sent you  the files.  I just wanted to interject that I just saw on Adobe Ideas (second page of Catalyst ideas, or maybe the third) where someone else reported the same thing when importing a swf.

Thanks again!

Nancy